Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 452 lux. I bought a great older tasco 6-18x40 AO scope for it. Its a great scope, problem is its super long. I thought it would clear past the rear sight base, but its not that long. My World class tasco 6-18x44 is short enough to sit behind sight base, but 44mm objective makes it a bit high with the hogback stock, Is there a nice 18-t x 40ish new or used scope in the under $200.00 range. I have seen the simmons pro-air and the bsa contender ?-24x40 contender specs sound perfect, but I understand the are junk. I would go with a 44mm obj if its not too thick. Any recomendations? Anyone know of any fairly low profile AO 44s

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out the CZ forum and serch for a Simmons M1048. It is a 6-20x44 that is supposed to fit behind the sight. I spent a couple of weeks in the same position you are and ended up with a Weaver V24 with high rings. It is 15" long, but barely sits over the sight. It was more expensive, but I didn't want to be stuck with no scope adjustment in the rings.
Aaron.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Simmons 1048 is closer to 15 inches - 14.8" if I remember correctly. The measurments on the website are incorrect. You can fit it in front of the sight base but that might be too far forward for you. Putting it behind the rear sight might be too far back. I have attached a photo showing my Special with a 1048 mounted with BKL rings. I lean my head forward a bit to use it this way. I shot all last summer with the scope like this and had no problems.

The best solution I have seen for any large scope on the Special and Lux models is to get it high enough that you don't have to worry about sight clearance. Unfortunately that might be too high for some. It doesn't bother me a bit as I am using it for silhouette and I like to keep my neck straight while trying to hit those d**m turkeys. Right now I have an old set of high profile mount adapters with high Burris Signature Zee rings. I find it very comfortable despite the height. I might go to medium rings eventually.

Apparently you can remove the rear sight base by knocking out the retaining pin and coaxing the base forward and off the barrel. I haven't done this so it is not from firsthand experience nor recommended for the faint of heart.

You might have a look at smaller objective (<40mm) scopes. The Simmons ProAir scopes have gotten very good reviews in this forum. I have used an old Weaver V9 (3-9x38mmAO) on mine using my low profile adapters and high Burris Signature Zee rings without interfering with the base. I also had a Weaver T36 (36x40mmAO) mounted using a similar setup. A Weaver KT15 might work. A Simmons 1022T 3-9x32mmAO with target turrets is pretty nice though a bit low magnification for anything but hunter benchrest shooting. A Burris 6x HBR would be nice for hunter benchrest and general use. Burris also makes a nice 4-12AO compact scope. There are probably others I have overlooked.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

Anyone know the overall length of a pro-air, it seems to keep coming back to that unit. I would actually perfer a 40mm over a 44. Seem to be a few 18plus 40mm scopes but most seem to be on the verry low end. Anyone know the exact length of Simmons M1048 with no sunshade. Does it have a sunshade? Any other thoughts. Hey Brookie, got your spring kit, BRAVO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.