Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out rabbiting earlier with a new CZ American .17HMR.

It was zeroed on the range a few days ago.

When I fired the first shot today, the magazine dropped out. It was by pure chance that I noticed.

This did not happen during zeroing.

It happened again on the 1st, 3rd and 5th shots.

Any ideas?

The mag catch looks OK, as does the detent on the mag itself. If I garb the mag base and pull, tug, shake whatever, it is secure.

· Registered
227 Posts
You're hunting rabbits in England so I'd say it's probably those evil little monsters behind it. I have an English Lop and it's one of the smartest and most evil rabbit or animal for that matter I've ever had.

I think it may not be fully engaging in the mag well as well. Did you try pulling on it after every shot or just when you did the initial load?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it has happened again.

Shot bunny #1, cycled bolt, shot bunny #2 right through the head only the shot was totally silent and the rabbit wandered off calmly.

And there was the mag on the ground!

To quote an old British sitcom - "I didn't get where I am today by not knowing when a magazine is home and locked".

Anyway, there must be a set of circumstances including tolerances, bolt lift, recoil etc. which are making this happen.

Anyone care to speculate wildly?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing much to learn from pictures I'm afraid.

It's a bog standard 5-round steel CZ mag and the magazine well is of the same stamp. No extended mag release either.

I think this must be a situation where the devil is in the detail and there's no way my digital camera is going to provide a clue.

I think I will stone the magazine side of the catch to a little undercut and see if that will do it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Neil, but that is not happening on my rifle.

Jetgirl - only possess one mag at the moment - more on the way.

Oldswede - yep - this was an 18-pointer and I think the bullet was deflected by the antler pedicle.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
Take the stock off the rifle and remove the mag well from the receiver, clean everything and reassemble. Do not over tighten the screws that hold the mag well to the receiver.

Then see if it still does it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.