Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ American 17 HMR

1287 12
Why do I not here much about the 17 hmr cz's? Do any of you have one? If so how do they shoot at 100yds?
Thanks
Banjo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love mine. I don't bench rest shoot with it, so I can't give you a measurement. I can tell you that it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I have taken several squirrels past 150 yards, and I have only had the gun for 3 or 4 weeks. It is a new gun, having only come out around Christmas time. I am glad I bought it instead of the Ruger.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I did a trigger job on a CZ .17HMR Varmint today for a friend--if it shoots as good as it looks, it'll be awesome!!! Great looking rifle. I want one in the American style--I just haven't ran across one yet. I'm interested to see how well it shoots as well.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
That'll look very good I'm sure. I prefer the thin black Pachmyer Decelerator Classic pads--they're very soft and stick to your shoulder like glue. Keep me posted on how the work goes when you receive your stock. Curley maple is a bit difficult because the chisel wants to follow the grain. When I get the barrel channel close to final dimensions I take a dowel and wrap 320 grit sandpaper around it and use that insted of a barrel channel cutter. I did this on a Fancy fiddle back Claro walnut stock a couple of days ago--it works well. Let me know how it goes--sounds great. I think I'll get either a AAA Claro or Exhibition grasde for my .22 lr CZ--put a Neider steel skeleton butt plate and grip cap, and mill a teel trigger guard (maybe) similar to a Kimber, to replace the stamped guard. It's a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Banjo's Question on accuracy

Back to Banjo's original question on accuracy of the CZ 452 in .17HMR. Anyone out there have first hand experience? I had a very, very reputable local gun dealer relate horror stories, like good accuracy for 10 rounds or so, then took lots and lots of bore scrubbing to get it back. The Ruger reportedly went through box after box without fouling. The dealer also related that the best factory target he'd seen in a new CZ 452 box was 1 3/4" at 100 meters. It wasn't just an anti CZ thing for the dealer owns several center fire CZ's and highly recommends them. Comments?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a Varmint that I've shot once. The avg of 17, 5rnd groups came out to be .813 inches at 50 yrds. Not great at all, but in all honesty it was windy, about 28 degrees, and I was more concerned about getting rounds through the barrel than technique and accurate shooting. At the end of the day I did shoot a couple of groups at 100 yrds and had a few groups under an inch and a couple more around 2 inches.

Adam

·
Registered
30 Posts
One more thing, I dont know if the American's are different but my Varmint came with a 50m target that measured 1.157 inches, with one flyer and without the flyer it is .622 inches.

Adam

PS All the measurements were outside to outside.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The Varmint 452 CZ that my friend bought this past Saturday had a 50 meter test target also, about the size of a .270 bullet hole!!! We just mounted a Simmoms 6x18x40mm scope on it this afternoon--the jury is still out--we'll see how it shoots as soon as the weather breaks and the wind dies down a little. It was an amazing test target. I know the test targets don't matter, but a good one sure is encouraging!

·
Registered
109 Posts
( Ifnel )I got a 452 varmint last Friday (its ok she got flowers)---test target measures .398 center to center for 5 shots. After break in 5, 5shot groups 50 yrds--largest--.6--others in the .3s and .4s. Groups at 100 again 5, largest was 1.3 inch--the rest just under an inch. It,s got a 6x20 Weaver on it, but conditions were poor--15 degrees 8 to 10 mile rear quartering breeze. No offence to your dealer but I have to wonder how many CZ,s he,s shot? My guess is the only thing to make one .17 HMR foul more than another is a rough bore , thats not my experience in the short time I shot Sunday--- 25 shot strings after break in no problem. I love this rifle!!! Good luck--shoot safe-- montdoug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, a British shooting magazine over here in the UK has just reviewed the American in .17HMR: "The American shows an oil-finished, walnut stock cut in a modern sporter style, with a neutral low combed butt and QD sling studs. The checked plastic butt plate and machine-cut chequering is basic, though the latter offers a secure hold. The forend is full and CZ has made a minimal attempt to free-float the barrel. Unlike the standard Ruger 77/17 there's alot more wood up front, so completely freeing the tube would not be a problem"
"At 100yds the gun shot around the 1/2" though it showed some vertical stringing, which I put down to the trigger. At 200yds it was dropping around 4" wih a group of around 1 1/2"

Liam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.