Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ 457 Varmint - just don't love it anymore

4306 78
This is sort of my follow up to the recent "Which CZ is best" post.

I loved my 457 Varmint until I acquired my 452 American. I took the 457 Varmint out today. It was all I could do to set the 452 aside to get the 457 out of the safe. I put about 100 rounds of SK Std+ and CCI Subsonic through it. It shoots good and it is a mighty nice rifle. But I prefer my 452 American quite a bit.

After shooting, I cleaned up the 457, removed the scope and put the rifle back in the box it came in when I bought it new. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it from here. Perhaps I'll find something to trade it for.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
This is sort of my follow up to the recent "Which CZ is best" post.

I loved my 457 Varmint until I acquired my 452 American. I took the 457 Varmint out today. It was all I could do to set the 452 aside to get the 457 out of the safe. I put about 100 rounds of SK Std+ and CCI Subsonic through it. It shoots good and it is a mighty nice rifle. But I prefer my 452 American quite a bit.

After shooting, I cleaned up the 457, removed the scope and put the rifle back in the box it came in when I bought it new. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it from here. Perhaps I'll find something to trade it for.
Curious, is it a preference for a 452 over a 457 overall or do you think it's more about the lines, feel and balance of the American vs Varmint.
IMHO, the American with it's slender stock and barrel is a pretty sweet handling package. It's also the design that started it all. It's an easy one to fall for.

·
13,002 Posts
Barrelhorses sir now hold on a minute sir you have history with your varmint rifle don't be so quick to shove it in the back of the safe. You are just having a session with your 452 American right now and trust me your varmint rifle will shine another day. I have quite a few CZs to play with and among them is a 452 Varmint that hardly gets shot but it's not going anywhere. I don't use it for hunting because it weighs too much going up and down a mountain side. It is very accurate and looks great also. You spent time and money to get it dialed in and you probably would regret, if you got rid of it.

Signalman 🚦

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do think my preference for the 452 American over the 457 Varmint has something to do with the lines and feel of the American versus Varmint profile. The American feels and looks like a rifle ought to, in my eyes anyhow. I shoot mostly off of front and rear bags and one would think the Varmint would be better than the American for that. But that's not been my experience with my samples. It's just easier to hit what I'm aiming at with my 452 American.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is cold in Cincy....re-evaluate in warmer weather!!
It was cold today for sure. It was definitely too cold to try to shoot groups or dot targets. I shoot a few groups (patterns really) and then just plinked steel. I have steel at 25, 50 and about 60 yards now.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts