Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a new CZ and I’m tossed between the CZ 457 in the Boyd’s stock and the CZ 457 VPT MTR in the Manners stock with the adjustable check weld. Obviously there is a price difference… Curious if anyone has experience with either of these or both? Pros n Cons to each?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Don't have the Boyd's stock version, but I doubt it will outshoot the VPT in the Manners stock. I have 457VPT with 16.5" and it is super accurate. My first time out with it I shot my personal best .385" OD 5 shot group. Others have done as well and better. My recommendation is the 457 VPT if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have the Boyd's stock version, but I doubt it will outshoot the VPT in the Manners stock. I have 457VPT with 16.5" and it is super accurate. My first time out with it I shot my personal best .385" OD 5 shot group. Others have done as well and better. My recommendation is the 457 VPT if you can find one.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking at purchasing a new CZ and I’m tossed between the CZ 457 in the Boyd’s stock and the CZ 457 VPT MTR in the Manners stock with the adjustable check weld. Obviously there is a price difference… Curious if anyone has experience with either of these or both? Pros n Cons to each?
I use both: non-adjustable VPT Manners stock and Boyds Pro Varmint stock. I like the Manners stock more, it has metal pillars while the Boyds has none.

I mounted the same barreled action on either stock and find I shoot better, more consistent with the VPT Manners stock. The VPT is also twice the price of the Pro Varmint when equipped with non-MTR 16.5” SR barrel.

Knowing what I know now, I’ll save up for the VPT Manners stocked 457, and go for the match barrel (MTR).

HTH, Ed R.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yet to see a particularly favourable review of a Boyds stoced anything. Some Youtube reviews literally throw the things in disgust :) (no cyclops in particular)

Having seen a couuple in the flesh and years ago finishing one up for a friend (Rem Model 7 Carbine), I wouldn't recommend Boyds. If you put the effort in and bed them properly, they can be made to perform, but definitely not out of the box.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Quite a price difference between the 2 stock choices. If you like the Boyds, for whatever reason, pillar bedding that stock should about remove any accuracy discrepancies between the 2 options. The BA slapped in a vise would be a true test of accuracy, level the playing field if the Boyd is more appealing to you, and still come in for less cost.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
A few months back I found myself in the exact same spot as you, trying to decide between the two rifles you have mentioned.
It came down to fit, feel and bedding and this is where my money went. I'm very very pleased with my choice!!

Grass Air gun Grassland Pipe Metal

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I picked the the Manners stocked non match chamber pug nosed 16.5" barreled model. I knew from the start that I would put a Lilja barrel and a Timney trigger on it.

That being said, and still the plan, I must say the non-match chambered barrel shoots quite well. I have shot in the .3's and a few .2's with several types of ammo and I guess I could work it down even more with more testing. I have replaced the trigger spring to try and get it down somewhere near what I like. It helped for me but did not get it low enough. My groups at 50 yards have been quite nice but I want better so the show goes on. It's just me. I want to wring out as much as I can get.

Bottom line is the Manners outfit

·
Registered
754 Posts
"My groups at 50 yards have been quite nice but I want better so the show goes on. "

You should talk to your physician.., he might prescribe something like SPENDLX or even SAVZALOT to be taken when you get those feelings. (Do not take if you experience groups exceeding 1 MOA or are being laughed at up and down the shooting line)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Boyd’s stock worked quite well for me. I had it pillar bedded and was pretty happy with it. I found I needed more adjustability (really should have ordered the Boyd’s with the adjustable comb) and ended up upgrading to an MDT chassis. That Manners stock sure looks nice though!

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
You should talk to your physician.., he might prescribe something like SPENDLX or even SAVZALOT to be taken when you get those feelings. (Do not take if you experience groups exceeding 1 MOA or are being laughed at up and down the shooting line)
Interesting post. I guess I should have been more specific on groups.... Depending on ammo and the shooter of course, there have also been sone .5-.8 stuff shot. But hell, who wants to talk about them, Right.

Really wonder about the direction or intention of the post.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Interesting post. I guess I should have been more specific on groups.... Depending on ammo and the shooter of course, there have also been sone .5-.8 stuff shot. But hell, who wants to talk about them, Right.

Really wonder about the direction or intention of the post.
Sorry.., it was just an attempt at some humor. Perhaps a bad attempt. Won't happen again...

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Sorry.., it was just an attempt at some humor. Perhaps a bad attempt. Won't happen again...
All good as I suspected it was some Na-cog-da-shish type humor..... and yea, I can pronounce it the right way and Mexcia also..... been down that way a good bit...... LOL

Reactions: 1Merlin
1 - 20 of 22 Posts