Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ 457 American questions

1922 30
I am new here and had a few questions before purchasing my first CZ 457.

Unfortunately none of my local shops have a 457 American in stock that I can put my hands on. How does the the American balance with the 24” barrel?

Im looking for an accurate 22 to carry in the woods and shoot rabbits and squirrel. I have considered the varmint model but I’m not sure if I want the added weight.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Buy the Scout. Cheaper, threaded barrel, lighter to carry, same CZ accuracy.

I had mine set up with see through rings and a scope, because that way my grandkids could learn to use irons, AND see through the scope when they got to that stage.

I don't know what it is, but kids have the hardest time looking through low mounted scopes.

I wish they made the 457 in the FS. Those are nice to pack around.

· Premium Member
112 Posts

Unfortunately none of my local shops have a 457 American in stock that I can put my hands on. How does the the American balance with the 24” barrel?

Im looking for an accurate 22 to carry in the woods and shoot rabbits and squirrel. I have considered the varmint model but I’m not sure if I want the added weight.
Mine, with a pretty light Vortex 2-7 balances right at the magazine release (which is in front of mag well). So even if your hand is right in front of mag well, like shooting standing in a match, the rifle holds nicely. The American is almost the same overall size (not weight) as my M1922

· Premium Member
I just need one more...
2,001 Posts
I've not handled a CZ 457 American. But I have a 452 American that I absolutely love. I had a 457 Varmint that I also loved...until I got the 452 American. I no longer have the 457 Varmint. It was a nice rifle, but for hunting I think the lighter American would be a better choice for most people. I also still have a 457 Lux and it won't be going anywhere. A Lux would give you the option of open sights if you want to use them.

· Registered
515 Posts

I have a CZ 457 24" American still bone stock. It shoulders and balances great and is deadly accurate.
being your tree rat and bunny hunting I would recommend you look at the CZ 457 American combo, you two barrels 17 HMR and .22LR for a few more bucks$$$$
Put a Montana sling on it and you would be very pleased with it. Montana Gun Slings | Hunter Rifle Custom Slings
There are plenty 457 American on Gun broker.

· Registered
909 Posts
Just had to give another option. I've got a CZ455 Lux in SS, with a 6-24x50 FFP-SF scope. I haven't seen anyone online with these in USA - I'm in Canada. The 'Bavarian-style stock' made me get a Vortex Pro LOW ring-set to be able to use the scope. The bolt just barely clears the scope - the 457 has a 60* throw which would remedy that. From what I've seen in the US they only have SS in synthetic stocks, unless you can order them and no-one has posted pics yet.
Wood Bicycle part Flooring Metal Pipe

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment Gadget Wood

· Registered
4,143 Posts
You don't need a varmint model ( or it's extra weight) for woods hunting of small game. The standard tapered barrel will serve you just as well /better for a stalking rifle.
FWIW, I've had a 20.5" Sr American Synthetic and a 24" American (in Walnut). Both balanced well and "felt right" to me. ( Balance point on my 24" American is just at the front edge of the magazine BTW) The American is not too light where it feels like a $200 cheapo kids 22 ( and wants to wonder during sighting due to that lightness) yet not too heavy where you struggle with it.
I personally have no experience with the Scout others mention but am admittedly not a fan given it's "youth sized" with a short 12" LOP, dropped comb and a 16.5" barrel. I'd prefer the 20.5" American over the Scout ( and have found the Synthetic American is usually cheaper anyway.) All this said, I'm sure any of the models could be made to work just fine for your application.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I’m headed to gunbroker to bid on a 457 American.
I appreciate all the info. I like the looks of the scout but I think the American looks better. I really appreciate a nice looking wood stick the older I get.

· Registered
4,143 Posts
Looks like I’m headed to gunbroker to bid on a 457 American.
I appreciate all the info. I like the looks of the scout but I think the American looks better. I really appreciate a nice looking wood stick the older I get.
Nice. Beware on GB though. Read the fine print closely as most dealers that show what appear to be actual pictures but they are only "representative". If you are OK with buying sight unseen, do a search on the 457 American on gun.finder.com . That sight will lead you to what are usually the best online prices at various sellers. FWIW, I tend to favor Battlehawk Armory off that list. Low prices, $20 shipping. No CC fees. No Tax's. Best of luck!

· Registered
108 Posts
I really like the American, being 6ft 4in the scout stock is way too short for me. I have all 3 Americans 22lr, 22wmr,17hmr they all shoot great and the balance/handling is great too. I had a varmint in 22lr I wouldn't say it was too heavy but I sold it because it didn't shoot as well as the American. For a hunting gun it would be good if you could handle both to compare but sadly that's a rare thing.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The scout isn't the cheapest to me when you take into account that you have to get a 5 shot clip to replace the single shot one that comes with it and you have a beech stock instead of walnut. Seems to me the american is the better deal.
I completely agree. I really like the Americans with nice stocks. I have noticed on gunbroker that some don’t have near as nice of a stock as others.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
If I was forced to choose from the current 457 line up a rifle strictly for hunting it would be the youth/scout model. I would mount a compact scope (with a 32 or 33mm objective) and try and try too make do with the reduced length of pull. It would probably be much too short and then I would look for a new stock or a slip over but pad. Or fit up a butt pad. Actually it would make a challenging wood working project to do more.

The current 457 american has about the same carry and feel as a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm rem mag. Nice big heavy long rifle. Would match up with a 4-12x40 or higher mag scope. The forarm of the American stock is long enough it would look odd with a shorter barrel. Finding one in a gun shop will not tell you how it would feel with an extra 1-2 pounds of manly sized scope and carried all day.

I am thinking the current CZ American would make a teenager feel grown up with a nice BIG gun while making a grown up feel old and tired.

Ruger offers some short barrel model rim fire Americans. Those with modular butt inserts can be optimized for long or short LOP or iron or scope. That is four insert options. .

· Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I completely agree. I really like the Americans with nice stocks. I have noticed on gunbroker that some don’t have near as nice of a stock as others.
I think the 457 American is the best looking 457. I just don’t have a need for one right now.
Here’s a nicer one that I’ve been eyeing, but won’t buy. Good price too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts