Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Kind Sirs, What are 452 American's selling for these days? Thanks, Groggy
With average to slightly above average wood in great condition I'd guess around $600. It depends on where you sell. If you put it on an auction site then who knows, I've seen CZ's sell for 3-4× what they're worth when a couple people decide they have to have it and get into a bidding war.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell because the picture is kind of dark but when I zoom in the grain in the wood looks like beechwood IMO. I'm not a wood expert but it looks very similar to the beechwood stock on my 452 Trainer.
That's why I asked. I bought the Lux brand new and still have the box. I am not really good at distinguishing between the two types of wood.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
That's why I asked. I bought the Lux brand new and still have the box. I am not really good at distinguishing between the two types of wood.
I'd say that it definitely could be walnut but that photo isn't clear enough to be definitive. FWIW, it does look more like CZ Walnut to me than CZ Beech. If it came in a box with matching serial number on the label and says it's a Lux, I'd be very confident it's a walnut Lux. The heavy factory finish will obscure what little grain feature there may be on very plain walnut, and can make some of them look a bit like Beech. Those are some of my favorites to refinish. :)

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If you find a 452 American for $300, please call me, fast.
Or me, LOL
I'm speaking of the bottom end, a gun with a beat up or cracked stock. Maybe it has a rusty, pitted barrel and action etc… On the top end would be a NIB rifle with a beautifully figured stock and a great test target when two or more people are bidding it up.
Don't get me wrong I love the 452 Americans as much or more than anyone on this forum, but it's easy to imagine one I wouldn't even give $300 for.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell because the picture is kind of dark but when I zoom in the grain in the wood looks like beechwood IMO. I'm not a wood expert but it looks very similar to the beechwood stock on my 452 Trainer.
If you bought it new and still have the box then I'd be pretty confident that it is a Lux. I believe if I'm not mistaken they did make some of the Lux's with beechwood stocks. Not sure how one would differ from a Trainer if that were the case?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you bought it new and still have the box then I'd be pretty confident that it is a Lux. I believe if I'm not mistaken they did make some of the Lux's with beechwood stocks. Not sure how one would differ from a Trainer if that were the case?
They made some Americans with Beech stocks, but a Lux with a Beech stock IS a Trainer. That is the only difference between those two.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Could be a Super Match as well.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
They made some Americans with Beech stocks, but a Lux with a Beech stock IS a Trainer. That is the only difference between those two.
Thank you, I wasn't sure. I just remembered hearing something like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I'd say that it definitely could be walnut but that photo isn't clear enough to be definitive. FWIW, it does look more like CZ Walnut to me than CZ Beech. If it came in a box with matching serial number on the label and says it's a Lux, I'd be very confident it's a walnut Lux. The heavy factory finish will obscure what little grain feature there may be on very plain walnut, and can make some of them look a bit like Beech. Those are some of my favorites to refinish. :)
I wanted to make certain I did not misrepresent the type of wood the stock is made from. The box says Lux.

Thanks.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts