Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ 452 17HMR FLOATING BARREL and OTHER QUESTIONS

749 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim W. 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 452 American in 17 HMR. Yes,the barrel is touching the stock on the right side. Before I shoot the gun, should I float the barrel? Also, what is the barrel lug that I have read about in this forum? I would like to be able to have an accurate reliable rifle without alot of hassle and would like to know what other ideas people have before I shoot this gun. I have not had it apart yet and have ordered a Burris 4x12 compact AO scope ,Burris medium height deluxe rings,and I will lap the scope rings.THANKS!!

#2 ·
It won't hurt to float the barrel. I have not done so with mine and it shoots very good, but I know it can shoot even better. I have a new stock coming from Richard's Microfit that will be finished so that the barrel is floated.

You do not have a barrel lug on your gun to worry about. You have a front action screw forward of the magazine which holds the front of the bottom plate to the action, and a rear action screw behind the trigger.

You bought a very good scope. Now all you really need is to spend $9 and get yourself one of Brookie's trigger kits. Your trigger will go from "good" out of the box to "excellent".

Of course, it's just my opinion.

Bill

#4 ·
My brother's American in 22LR has the same problem. His shoots well enough for his needs, so he decided not to do anything about it. He is not as picky as I am. Relieving the stock at the contact area will help it shoot more consistantly, but it may not look so good. CZ must have had a tooling problem at some time that produced a bunch of these defective stocks. I suggest that potential American buyers check the rifles for this problem, before they buy, if possible.

The American model, with it's higher level of wood and finish, is a reasonable alternative to the Cooper, Anshutz, Winchester 52, and Kimbers.

I have been tempted to take my Ultra-Lux to the same level of finish as the Kimber Super America. I have restored some old 22 rifles that look more like the higher grade Brownings. With an exibition grade stock, bedding job, a little trigger work, and a high-polish bluing job, I could have a CZ Ultra-Lux Super Chec Republic. (or something like that)

If you want some super-fine gun bluing done, you should contact Mel Doyle Gun Shop in St. Maries, Idaho. (208-245-3006) Mel has done some fine work for me at a great price.

Good Shooting

Jim W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.