Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought i'd start checking ammo to see what she likes. cz 453 American. all stock/no mods.

i didn't clean the barrel switching to cci. next go around i'll shoot cci first. shooting from sandbags. Last pic. is of 7 eley rounds which really seemed to tighten up. barrel becoming more seasoned? wonder if i should run some patches down the barrel before doing again?

Watch Product Sleeve Handwriting Clock
Watch Font Clock Circle Measuring instrument
Rectangle Font Material property Symmetry Slope

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
25 rounds of each as shown is not nearly enough to get a satisfactory result, you must also factor in the rifle and ammo combo, the weather conditions on the day and the end user.

Every rifle and ammo combo is different, yours may need 25 or even 50 rounds to settle down and become consistent.

Yes, I always lightly clean between different ammo brands as they all use their own types of lube.

To the best of my knowledge, all SK ammo uses the same lube, although SK and Lapua are same company, Lapua uses their own type of lube.

Eley Tenex, Match and Team (Tenex Family) use a Beeswax-Tallow lube, other Eley RF ammo uses several different types of lube (Beeswax-Tallow or EP2723 or Biathlon Lube or Paraffin Wax).

My Match 54 with clean barrel is spot on under ten rds with Eley Team. If I shoot a box of SK RM with its very thin and oily lube and do not clean afterwards then it can take 20/25 rds of Team before settling down. I’m not a scientist but my best guess is the thin oily SK lube is thinning the heavier Eley lube and preventing it from coating the barrel.

It takes very little effort to put a few patches down the barrel to remove the deposited crud and lube. Its good practice and it saves wasting ammo.

Likewise when seasoning a barrel on a cold day, use a cheaper version of the same ammo with the same lube first (SK RM, fire a few SK Std+ first, Eley Tenex/Match/Team, fire some Club first, R50, fire some Rifle Match first).

Just my tuppence worth.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Indeed...My lowest is 11oz...I am working on getting it lower....
Don't have a 453 myself, you should check out if a replacement trigger spring/shim kit is available, my Brno M5 was great but is far better after installing an Eric Brooks spring kit. The modern Yo-Dave spring kit is said to be based on the original Eric Brooks kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts