Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have examined a CZ 452 American in a local gun shop. It has a what appears to be a sporter barrel. What can someone tell me about comparison with a heavy barrel in the same rifle, accuracywise? I have already read about the trigger kit and I think I can handle that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sporter barrel

I thought I was going to get the Varmint, but my dealer had the .17 American in stock and I'm very happy with it. Still breaking in and working out scope mounting so I'm not precisely sure of the accuracy yet. I appears on par with my 21" Contender carbine barrel. Just using the Millet High CZ rings right now, but have Brookies Weaver adapters ordered and set of Signature Z's for it. My skinny barrel Stainless stalker A-Bolt seems to heat up as I shoot from the bench, but I don't think that will a problem with the .17 I really love the feel of this gun.

·
Registered
245 Posts
sporter barrel

I had a choice between barrels and the varmit was just too short--I prefered the looks of the longer standard barrel. Mine will easily shoot .5 inch groups at 50 yards off the bags, so I couldn't have sacrificed much in the way of accuracy.

Bill A.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same Question

This is what I was told, Heavy shooting (many succesive shots) Heavy barrel, light shooting light barrel. I opted for the Varmint barrel which looked odd to me at the time, now that I've had it several months it looks fine. It is my favorite gun.DPete

·
Registered
330 Posts
Barrel length

I just got an American in .17 with the heavy barrel and was wondering if the standard barrel was longer?I wouldn't trade this thing for the world but was just curious.:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was handling one of these today at a gunshop near me. I nearly walked out with it. I still think I'll get it but need to work on finances for a week or two first. May I ask what you all are paying for yours? If I remember right it was 359 and change. Does that sound right to you?

Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Prices

My sporter barrel was marked $399, but my frequent purchaser price was $379. He also had blued walnut Ruger 77/17 at $399. The dealer said he wouldn't want to sell me a 77/17 because he knows how much I care about accuracy.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well it sounds like the price is definitely a good one then. He had a used 77/22hornet that he had priced 425 which I thought was a bit steep. I like the feel of the .77 better but I sure like what I hear about the CZ/s accuracy more. I have another gunshop that I'll check out today. I'm about to die (HAHA) for wanting another gun. I know it isn't a matter of need but one can never have too many guns.;) Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have both CZ's, the .17 HMR in the American and Varmint, accuracy for both is the same (great), the American does heat up a little faster but not much. Depends on how fast you shoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.