Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,728 Posts
I say cut it if thats what you want. The naysayers been around since circumcision became popular. :D Since you have a good smith have him slug it first would be my 2¢.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Will it be more accurate, maybe, if done properly there should be no loss in accuracy.
:yeahthat: If the bore is tapered properly, you can cut and crown to any length and enjoy the same accuracy potential. This job calls for slugging the barrel, if a smooth, even, slightly tightening taper from breech to muzzle is found, go ahead and cut to desired length. If some variation in bore diameter is found, cut the muzzle where the bore tightens up near the length you want, but dont get hung up on "the barrel must be exactly 16.000"", it'll have to be what it needs to be, 16.43", 15.75", wherever gets the muzzle being the tightest spot in the barrel. If you have a tight spot just behind the crown and it opens up to the muzzle, you could have problems.

Someone said something about CZs and Anschütz barrels having a "choke" at the muzzle that you shouldn't cut off... fake news. Production facilities do not put that effort into their barrels, and while I don't doubt that some examples anecdotally have a choke in them, the existence of such is coincidental, not by design. I've slugged three Annie barrels and they were all different. One was the ideal gradually tightening taper, no choke. One was like a speed bump tight-loose-tight-loose-tight to loosening up out the crown, dud barrel. The other did apparently have a choke, a 64 MSR barrel that has a swell in diameter at the muzzle. Theory is removing metal on the barrel profile behind the swell allows the bore to expand while the untouched portion remains tight, creating the choke. Intentional? Maybe not, as the swell is dovetailed to accept a globe sight and align it with the rear peep. Point is, you are going to find considerable variations in the bore diameter consistency in factory made, non hand lapped barrels. Slug your barrel and base your decision on those results.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
CZ used to make a 16" threaded 452 american. we had one, it was good for 1 MOA. my 452 varmint, my buddies 452 varmint and my 22" 452 american have all shot well under 1/2 MOA. so a shorter barrel doesnt mean it will shoot more accurately, and with the hammer forged barrels when you thread them it does induce some choke. i also have 2 anschutz match rifles that are very long barrels and they are very good shooters. 1 better than everything i own, typically 1/4 MOA. the other shoots with my sub 1/2 MOA CZs and 10/22s. if it were mine and shoots good, i would leave it alone and buy something else if you want shorter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
452 16" Threaded

I got one and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! It's my favorite rifle bar none. With a suppressor its deathly quiet and amazingly accurate, not quite up to my 452 thumbhole varmint at 100 yds but almost.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just felt like bragging.:D

As for the OPs problem, I'd buy a Scout and an American stock, small riflle in a full size stock, but that's just me and I always make the wrong choice.:eek:

charles

·
Premium Member
10,165 Posts
All these guys saying go ahead , it’s your gun, do what you want, it will be fine....

Are the same guys who told you to jump off the garage roof . How did that work out?

No one has said , that’ll make it more accurate, more valuable, better. Just a , if you don’t screw it up it might be ok. But go ahead.

They are waiting for the soun of your collarbone snapping as you hit the ground.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
All these guys saying go ahead , it's your gun, do what you want, it will be fine....

Are the same guys who told you to jump off the garage roof . How did that work out?

No one has said , that'll make it more accurate, more valuable, better. Just a , if you don't screw it up it might be ok. But go ahead.

They are waiting for the soun of your collarbone snapping as you hit the ground.
WOW! Seriously! Keep in mind it is his gun not yours and after all, it's not the Hope diamond and is replaceable.

·
Premium Member
10,165 Posts
WOW! Seriously! Keep in mind it is his gun not yours and after all, it's not the Hope diamond and is replaceable.
Wow you really want to hear that bone snap!

Lighten up, just a little banter between the good angel and bad devil , like in the cartoons.

How about this, if it it makes it worse , you guys can pay for the replacement.
Want to make that bet? I will all day long.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I got one and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! It's my favorite rifle bar none. With a suppressor its deathly quiet and amazingly accurate, not quite up to my 452 thumbhole varmint at 100 yds but almost.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just felt like bragging.:D

charles
metoo!!! (not with a #.) Great little rifle! I might very well may never squirrel hunt with any other rifle again.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
As for the OPs problem, I'd buy a Scout and an American stock, small riflle in a full size stock, but that's just me and I always make the wrong choice.:eek:

charles
Ameriscout. Got on Friday, scope came in Saturday. It's not broken in yet.

A cold day today, managed to shoot these at 50 yards (5 shot groups)

3/8" or less at 50. I'm happy :)

:F

·
Premium Member
10,165 Posts
Now that’s appealing. Looks like a tapered varmint, short light handy and deadly. Now I want one too!

Oh wait , I have a 453 Varmint, with an SST .

Oh , I still want one.

Just got a love cz itus!

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
HAH!

Threaded barrel, too. For Justin Case...

:bthumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
...but dont get hung up on "the barrel must be exactly 16.000"", it'll have to be what it needs to be, 16.43", 15.75", wherever gets the muzzle being the tightest spot in the barrel.
I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but in the US, cutting a barrel shorter than 16" requires you to first go through the process of getting government approval to make a Short Barreled Rifle. To do otherwise would be breaking some serious laws.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well I will toss out some options

- pick up a new barrel fro cz and save your known shooter
- pick up a take off from guys buying lilja or other premium barrels
- pick up a 455 to do your project as barrel swaps are that much easier.

My personal opinion is pick up the 455. I did kind of want a 452 16” threaded American for when I retire to a state with better gun rights. I really didn’t want the old non standard euro threads cz used at the time. Now I wish I had the new 455 scout for that project. I have a 452 scout though.

I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe so I have options but hate cutting on stuff that might devalue them. Then again I am short so shorter stocks and barrels work better for me. I am not here forever so modifying to fit me makes sense in my old age if I I am coming to keep it. Time to fire up the bandsaw and trim those Winchester 52 stocks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well I will toss out some options

- pick up a new barrel fro cz and save your known shooter
- pick up a take off from guys buying lilja or other premium barrels
- pick up a 455 to do your project as barrel swaps are that much easier.

My personal opinion is pick up the 455. I did kind of want a 452 16" threaded American for when I retire to a state with better gun rights. I really didn't want the old non standard euro threads cz used at the time. Now I wish I had the new 455 scout for that project. I have a 452 scout though.

I have a grizzly gunsmith lathe so I have options but hate cutting on stuff that might devalue them. Then again I am short so shorter stocks and barrels work better for me. I am not here forever so modifying to fit me makes sense in my old age if I I am coming to keep it. Time to fire up the bandsaw and trim those Winchester 52 stocks.
:beerchug::beerchug:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Alright guys....soo....after much thought...I think Im gonna leave this 452 alone...Buuuuuut I begrudgingly bought another 452 and Im gonna hack that barrel down to a stub and prove all you naysyaers wrong!!

·
Premium Member
37,728 Posts
Alright guys....soo....after much thought...I think Im gonna leave this 452 alone...Buuuuuut I begrudgingly bought another 452 and Im gonna hack that barrel down to a stub and prove all you naysyaers wrong!!
Shoot it first with several higher end makes of ammo to make sure it isn't more accurate than the other that was under the guillotine.

·
12,570 Posts
Hunter2678 sir I think you made a wise decision...accurate rifles are not a dime a dozen at least not in my world....I have both 452 and 455 rifles and for what you want the 455 is in my opinion a no brainer...barrels are cheap, easy to switch and with the new 455 scout with threaded barrel it's a plug and play set up. :)

I like what Cow54 has done...I think that would be something I am going to look into. Now for me if the scout came in a 17hmr or a 22mag then I would be all over it. It would be perfect for me when I move to a better state after I retire. I would probably have one of each. :D

I understand what you want and this is your rifle and your decision on what is best for you.

I will be watching to see how this all turns out.

Good luck on your quest :bthumb:

Signalman :mad::):D

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.