Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little context before someone accuses me of sacrilege. My father in law is approaching retirement and I wanted to get him a gift. He shoots cowboy action so all of his guns are in .22lr, 45acp, 45colt, or 45-70, and he doesn't want a new caliber. So I asked myself how do I do a modern rifle but make it look older with wood furniture but also chambered in one of those calibers...

Well the 45acp CMMG guns are a bit $$$ and nearly unobtanium right now so I was left with .22lr. I have been researching the Tippmann guns for a while now and decided I would start with a M4-22 Pro. Thanks to the rebate and a sale at one of my favorite local shops, AIM Surplus, I thought now would be a great time to get this project going. Once I had the rifle in hand I started the transformation by changing out the buffer tube for a rifle length tube from Aero Precision. Since the Tippmann uses a captive recoil buffer that is sized for a carbine tube I 3-D printed a spacer to take up the extra length in the buffer tube. I ordered and added a Boyds X grade walnut stock and grip to give it that wood and steel gun appearance. Since he is left handed I swapped out the stock safety for and ambidextrous one from seekins precision. Since I had the wood stock and grip I needed to add some wood to the fore end. I dug into a pile of scrap walnut and started on some m-lok panels. I was able to order M Lok hardware and after some woodworking and 5 coats of finish it is pretty much good to go.

I have about 250 rounds through it in 3 range sessions to test for proper function before and after modifications. I am happy to say there were no issues and everything functioned flawlessly. These rifles make for a great basis to build some out of the ordinary rifles.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
If it is not too late, I would investigate a source for the Turnbull hand guard. Or one similar. I dont care for the gun as posted. I hope I can say this. I assume the reason for posting is to get some honest feedback.

Sometimes I can be too honest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All, I appreciate the feedback. :t I had a lot of different ideas on how to accomplish this build but budget and other factors led to the outcome you see here. I don't disagree that a round or triangular handguard would have looked really clean and actually I would have preferred to go that route. I was dissuaded from going that way because of the need to mount a front sight base. Conversely the m-lok hardware does give it a more mechanical appearance, and the old style rifles he is so used to always seem to have visible screws.

I am just impressed with what Tippman has done here in giving us a rifle that is so easily customizable. I will say I am tempted to add their new ambidextrous aluminum charging handle to finish it off however.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's your gun and you do whatever you please as far as mods, don't matter one bit what everyone else thinks. It's your money. I kinda like the unique looks of the wood furniture on an AR platform. Can't say i've ever really seen that type of mod done before. Nice job.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
All, I appreciate the feedback. :t I had a lot of different ideas on how to accomplish this build but budget and other factors led to the outcome you see here. I don't disagree that a round or triangular handguard would have looked really clean and actually I would have preferred to go that route. I was dissuaded from going that way because of the need to mount a front sight base. Conversely the m-lok hardware does give it a more mechanical appearance, and the old style rifles he is so used to always seem to have visible screws.

I am just impressed with what Tippman has done here in giving us a rifle that is so easily customizable. I will say I am tempted to add their new ambidextrous aluminum charging handle to finish it off however.
Yea, I just learned about the Tippman and while I am at a loss to find a good reason I may get one. That reasoning is having a dedicated AR 22 upper and lower assembled. My already AR, has the old style hand guard and carry handle sights. The excuse, if I really needed one, is Tippman offers a floating handguard and scope base option for the price of an upper. Wirh an aluminum (not plastic) receiver no-less.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That does look nice. You two must like each other a lot. I wouldn't say no to a gift such as this.

By chance, might you consider sending your story, and a pic or two to Tippman? I'm sure they would like a little feedback on what's being done with thier products, and just might put it in a gallery of sorts.

And, if I may, just a small critique; T'were me, I would have made each "slab" of the forend a bit more rounded, rounded-over the end grains for a smotther appearance, and recessed the screw heads. But all this is subjective, anyway. You didn't build it for me.

Thanks for sharing.....Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts