Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am the guy who donated my stock to Richard so he could begin to make stocks for the 452. The batch just went out and I got mine last week (finally!)

When I opened the box I was disappointed and unimpressed. My AA quilted maple stock looked like a rough sawn 2X4 with a shape roughly the same as a gunstock.

My first thought was to complain and send it back because I am NOT a woodworker and it looked like a lot of work. Then I thought about it...Richard TRADED me the stock in exchange for keeping the one I sent him as a permanent template for future use, so I figured I had nothing to really lose.

The wood showed no color or figure, just a furry gun shape. So I put a bit of 150 grit paper on my palm sander and started sanding lightly. The wood whiskers quickly disappeared and a little bit of figure appeared. I sanded about 1/16" off the entire surface, stopping to check the feel of the gun in my hands...smoothing the palm swell and the monte carlo cheekpiece to where it felt right FOR ME.

Then on to hand sanding with 220 grit paper, a 320 grit foam sponge sanding pad, and finally to 0000 steel wool.

WOW!!! Four hours of fun (I really enjoyed making it fit ME personally) later, the stock looked beautiful. Then I tried to put the barreled action into it. It was tight. Fifteen minutes with a rasp and file, 2 short cuts with a jigsaw (to remove 1/4" from the rear of the magazine) and one drill hole later, it fit well. I spent about an hour sanding the barrel channel, then I cut of part of the forend tip.

That was Thursday after work. Tonight I took the hair dryer (blow dryer) to it and dried the wood very well, then left it to continue drying overnight in a dehumidified basement room.

Tomorrow I will seal it and then fill the grain. Sunday I will put a full coat of tung oil on it. Then I will buff it and add a coat every 3 or 4 days until it looks perfect.

Polish with automotive cleaner wax and I will be set.

I am very VERY pleased with the results, and actually pretty proud of myself for doing it. As I said, I am not good with wood. This turned out to be much easier than I thought, and the stock from Richard's really has more figure than I had ever really expected. I would highly recommend his product...I WILL do this again!

Once finished, I will take pics, but I have no way of posting them myself.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is worth the wait! Just remember...what comes out of the box is not what the finished product will be when you are done with it!

Also, the wait is because they run production runs of the same action, so the wait is for others to order. He just ran the first run (of which I got mine).

My stock is a quilted maple and rosewood AA grade monte carlo.
the stock is beautifully figured and a light golden honey brown and maroon. Truly a beautiful gun stock!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.