Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you guys have put some custom stocks on your CZ's. How difficult was it to make the switch?

Richard's Microfit website explains that there is still a bit of work left in order to install the stock, and I'm not an experienced woodworker, so I'm hesitant to do it.

My main reason for wanting a custom stock is because mine seems a bit too short for me (from the recoil pad to the trigger). I don't know if simply a thicker pad would be enough.

Could some of you guys explain your experience with installing your custom stocks? Pics would be great too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am the guy who donated my stock to Richard so he could begin to make stocks for the 452. The batch just went out and I got mine last week (finally!)

When I opened the box I was disappointed and unimpressed. My AA quilted maple stock looked like a rough sawn 2X4 with a shape roughly the same as a gunstock.

My first thought was to complain and send it back because I am NOT a woodworker and it looked like a lot of work. Then I thought about it...Richard TRADED me the stock in exchange for keeping the one I sent him as a permanent template for future use, so I figured I had nothing to really lose.

The wood showed no color or figure, just a furry gun shape. So I put a bit of 150 grit paper on my palm sander and started sanding lightly. The wood whiskers quickly disappeared and a little bit of figure appeared. I sanded about 1/16" off the entire surface, stopping to check the feel of the gun in my hands...smoothing the palm swell and the monte carlo cheekpiece to where it felt right FOR ME.

Then on to hand sanding with 220 grit paper, a 320 grit foam sponge sanding pad, and finally to 0000 steel wool.

WOW!!! Four hours of fun (I really enjoyed making it fit ME personally) later, the stock looked beautiful. Then I tried to put the barreled action into it. It was tight. Fifteen minutes with a rasp and file, 2 short cuts with a jigsaw (to remove 1/4" from the rear of the magazine) and one drill hole later, it fit well. I spent about an hour sanding the barrel channel, then I cut of part of the forend tip.

That was Thursday after work. Tonight I took the hair dryer (blow dryer) to it and dried the wood very well, then left it to continue drying overnight in a dehumidified basement room.

Tomorrow I will seal it and then fill the grain. Sunday I will put a full coat of tung oil on it. Then I will buff it and add a coat every 3 or 4 days until it looks perfect.

Polish with automotive cleaner wax and I will be set.

I am very VERY pleased with the results, and actually pretty proud of myself for doing it. As I said, I am not good with wood. This turned out to be much easier than I thought, and the stock from Richard's really has more figure than I had ever really expected. I would highly recommend his product...I WILL do this again!

Once finished, I will take pics, but I have no way of posting them myself.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My American now has a Don Stith stock under it. It came in a more finished stage than Wlllscary's stock from Richards. It was sanded to 220. There was some minor inletting work since this stock is designed for both the American and the Special. It needed a lip for the trigger guard spacer which was easily done during the glass bedding stage.

I finished the stock with several coats of Arrow Wood and took the sanding to 600 grit in the process. I'm not real fond of high gloss finishes.

It takes some time and a little thought but finishing a Stith stock isn't that difficult. This statement is coming from someone who can't build a birdhouse that a homeless bird would move into.

Gary

·
Registered
327 Posts
It is worth the wait! Just remember...what comes out of the box is not what the finished product will be when you are done with it!

Also, the wait is because they run production runs of the same action, so the wait is for others to order. He just ran the first run (of which I got mine).

My stock is a quilted maple and rosewood AA grade monte carlo.
the stock is beautifully figured and a light golden honey brown and maroon. Truly a beautiful gun stock!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you also bought the finishing kit from Richards or is that not the product for a great finish.

I also want a new stock for my CZ and am not a woodworker at all.

Roland

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
I must have gotten one of Richard's first stocks for the CZ 452. I got the camo green Wild Thumbhole and it fit perfectly. I sanded it down with 150, then 280,360 and 600 sandpaper. Used 8 coats of oil and haven't waxed it yet but I really like the way it looks.

I even bedded the action. It was tight but bedding did help the groups. I also installed a home made tunner system.

There are pics of my 452 on here so I won't post another yet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
after looking at Tn. Hillbilly's stock, ( I downloaded it and drooled for a long time:D ) I ordered a stock from Don myself. I've been working on it now for a while, it's been sanded bedded oiled and waxed... I just hope it shoots!;)
that curly maple had a lot more figuring in it than I originaly thought. the striping is almost irridesant.

Kevin

thanks for the insperation Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Microfit stocks for CZ No.2

Hey!

First time doing this, hope it works!
I was considering buying a stock from Richards Microfit website but can anyone tell me if their CZ452 inletting will fit my CZ No. 2?:)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'd suggest you contact them directly and ask.
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortuneately Microfit gunstocks doesnt know if their stocks will fit the older No. 2 action, suppose because it is less common. Does anybody know if there are any significant differences between the new CZ452 actions and the older CZ No.2 ,which might affect stock fit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.