Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Custom shop 16" .22 LR Match

785 9
Anyone have one of these custom shop 16" Contender .22LR match barrels? I'm thinking about trading for one and want to hear any pros and cons?

Thanks everyone!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Not a Custom Shop Barrel

but I have a standard production Super 14 Match Grade .22 LR Barrel. I have a 3x12x Burris LER Fine Plex-PA Handgun Scope on it. In addition I have Free Floated the Forend and Pillar Bedded it. The Trigger on the Frame I use for this barrel is a super crisp 1 1/2 pounds, and breaks like an iccicle. So far I am pleased with this barrel, and the accuracy it has been providing.

I just today shot 4 targets for the April E-Mail Match outdoors at 25 yards. I shot each of the targets with a different Brand / Type of Ammo to see what it likes the best outdoors (the only other shooting I have done with this barrel so far has been at our Indoor Range this past winter).

At least the Gun/Barrel/Scope.Ammo & Shooter seemed to be consistant.

CCI Standard Velocity = 245-3x
Wolf Match Target = 247-8x
Remington Bulk Hollow Points = 247-8x
CCI Blazers = 247-10x

YEP outdoors at 25 yards is a little different than indoors at 50 feet. In all honesty it actually seemed easier to shoot outdoors as I experienced less problems with the scope from the artificial lighting when in the indoor range, even if the scores didn't reflect this.

Good luck with the barrel.

Larry

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks Dan

YEP the Contender is up to a "250", now I just have to get the shooter to do his part. Don't you just hate it when SHOOTER ERROR enters into the picture?

I have a question for you Dan. What are using for a rest under the grip on your Contender? So far I have been using a shot bag cut in half (so it is about 4" square and a couple inches thick) filled with Polystyrene Pellets. I noticed today that the grip placement on the bag, and how I squeezed the bag caused a couple of my "9's". I need something more consistant, just not sure what to try next.

I also found a problem with my Frame. I had trimmed a little off of my Trigger Spring, and as such it made it enough shorter that the Trigger Spring Cap was binding on it's hole in the trigger guard. What I ended up doing was using a larger diameter Trigger Return Spring that fit the hole nicely (without the trigger spring cap), and it seemed to eliminate the binding and provided me with a super crisp 1 1/2 pound pull that is to die for.

I also got my scope back from Burris AGAIN, and this time it is FIXED. Now I am able to use it a 12x with great clairity and no parallax. I guess the 3rd time was the charm as they finally got it right. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I am headed out for a Gopher Safari to try out the .22 LR Contender on something other than paper targets.

Larry

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sweet Looking Handgun Dan

In addition to the bag I described I am just using a Harris BR Model Bypod up front. I think my bag is too soft, and the cause of a couple missed 10's. I was thinking of making a bag or at least a base for a bag that was angled the same angle as the bottom of the grip so I could simply slide it forward or backward for elevation. Does that make sence?

I am going to Fargo next week, and may have to look into what Scheels has there that I can use for a rear bag.

Thanks Dan

Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.