Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these custom shop 16" Contender .22LR match barrels? I'm thinking about trading for one and want to hear any pros and cons?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm planning on buying a custom shop 22" Match chambered barrel later this year.
Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 14" match barrel from Bullberry which is easily capable of 50 yd groups of 1/2 inch or less. Fred Smith guarantees his barrels to that accuracy and delivers. He said that the shorter the barrel, the more inherent accuracy it has. Shorter ones are stiffer and vibrate less. This likely applies to the custom shop barrels too.

If you are going for 16", why not make it 161/2", and be able to switch between pistol grip and rifle stock and have a legal gun both ways.

Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanT said:
If you are going for 16", why not make it 161/2", and be able to switch between pistol grip and rifle stock and have a legal gun both ways.

Dan,
Mine is 16 1/4" to be exact, and have the stock on it now. Guess they had that in mind for goof balls like me. It shoots ok, got four RWS 50's in same hole, the fifth was a half a hole off, 50 yds.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Not a Custom Shop Barrel

but I have a standard production Super 14 Match Grade .22 LR Barrel. I have a 3x12x Burris LER Fine Plex-PA Handgun Scope on it. In addition I have Free Floated the Forend and Pillar Bedded it. The Trigger on the Frame I use for this barrel is a super crisp 1 1/2 pounds, and breaks like an iccicle. So far I am pleased with this barrel, and the accuracy it has been providing.

I just today shot 4 targets for the April E-Mail Match outdoors at 25 yards. I shot each of the targets with a different Brand / Type of Ammo to see what it likes the best outdoors (the only other shooting I have done with this barrel so far has been at our Indoor Range this past winter).

At least the Gun/Barrel/Scope.Ammo & Shooter seemed to be consistant.

CCI Standard Velocity = 245-3x
Wolf Match Target = 247-8x
Remington Bulk Hollow Points = 247-8x
CCI Blazers = 247-10x

YEP outdoors at 25 yards is a little different than indoors at 50 feet. In all honesty it actually seemed easier to shoot outdoors as I experienced less problems with the scope from the artificial lighting when in the indoor range, even if the scores didn't reflect this.

Good luck with the barrel.

Larry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow! Good shooting, Larry.

If memory serves, your 247s either equal or beat the 25 yard Contender record in the e-mail matches. Amd only three short of 250 which Contenders can surely do.

Dan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thanks Dan

YEP the Contender is up to a "250", now I just have to get the shooter to do his part. Don't you just hate it when SHOOTER ERROR enters into the picture?

I have a question for you Dan. What are using for a rest under the grip on your Contender? So far I have been using a shot bag cut in half (so it is about 4" square and a couple inches thick) filled with Polystyrene Pellets. I noticed today that the grip placement on the bag, and how I squeezed the bag caused a couple of my "9's". I need something more consistant, just not sure what to try next.

I also found a problem with my Frame. I had trimmed a little off of my Trigger Spring, and as such it made it enough shorter that the Trigger Spring Cap was binding on it's hole in the trigger guard. What I ended up doing was using a larger diameter Trigger Return Spring that fit the hole nicely (without the trigger spring cap), and it seemed to eliminate the binding and provided me with a super crisp 1 1/2 pound pull that is to die for.

I also got my scope back from Burris AGAIN, and this time it is FIXED. Now I am able to use it a 12x with great clairity and no parallax. I guess the 3rd time was the charm as they finally got it right. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I am headed out for a Gopher Safari to try out the .22 LR Contender on something other than paper targets.

Larry

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Contender and the bags that it is shot from can be seen at the web page below:

http://hometown.aol.com/brazost/myhomepage/personal.html

I aim by moving the grip around on the rear bag. This is the source of some problems because the bag is filled with sand and very firm. It is not always that stable. I can often tell when a shot is going to be "risky" because of the feel of the grip on the bag and movement in the scope scene.

Have thought of putting mink oil or some other leather softener on the bag to see if that helps.

A fancy front rest with windage and elevation adjustments might be better but that costs $$ and is just one more thing to lug to the range. I like Joe Haller's motto: shoot what ya got.

Dan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sweet Looking Handgun Dan

In addition to the bag I described I am just using a Harris BR Model Bypod up front. I think my bag is too soft, and the cause of a couple missed 10's. I was thinking of making a bag or at least a base for a bag that was angled the same angle as the bottom of the grip so I could simply slide it forward or backward for elevation. Does that make sence?

I am going to Fargo next week, and may have to look into what Scheels has there that I can use for a rear bag.

Thanks Dan

Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.