Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Custom mk III Hunter Grips

595 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  marksman1941
A good friend of mine has a mk II and a pair of mk III's, and he's made custom grips for all of them. I was at his house the other day, and he handed me a set of his castoffs, just so I could fiddle with them and see if they'd work for me. Lo and behold! I stuck em on my mk III hunter, and they fit me nearly perfectly. Now, they aren't finished, and I have a bit more sanding to do on the right grip before I clean everything up, but they feel awesome (even if they aren't too pretty).

It's hard to get good pictures of these, because the coloring is so bland it all melds together.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,390 Posts
You can have trouble with your hammer pivot pin walking out because the left grip does not retain it. Other wise good place to start on a set of grips.
Good catch by JStacy. :bthumb: That's a pretty important point you should take care of.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can have trouble with your hammer pivot pin walking out because the left grip does not retain it. Other wise good place to start on a set of grips.
Thanks for the tip, but... I dont even know what that means. What is the hammer pivot pin, where is it, and why an I not retaining it with these grips? I haven't shot it with these on, by the way. Should I stick the stock grips back on until I get that problem resolved?

· Registered
70 Posts
As you look at the pistol from the left side, the hammer pivot pin is the large flat-headed pin to the left of the safety lever that the 'slide stop' is attached to. It holds the slide stop, the hammer, hammer bushing, magazine safety and safety lever in place.

That pin is retained from moving right (as you look at it from behind) by its flat head, but nothing retains it from moving left other than the left grip getting in the way, and internal friction of parts.

All of the grips I've used for mark 3s cover the flat head or at least some of it.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As you look at the pistol from the left side, the hammer pivot pin is the large flat-headed pin to the left of the safety lever that the 'slide stop' is attached to. It holds the slide stop, the hammer, hammer bushing, magazine safety and safety lever in place.

That pin is retained from moving right (as you look at it from behind) by its flat head, but nothing retains it from moving left other than the left grip getting in the way, and internal friction of parts.

All of the grips I've used for mark 3s cover the flat head or at least some of it.
Ah, I see what you mean. And I would assume that letting that come out would be a bad thing, and something to definitely avoid.

I grabbed my stock grips and set them on, and the cutout in the stock grip doesn't sit flush with that pinhead. Obviously there has to be some clearance for the slide stop to move up and down, but how much is too much? What's an acceptable tolerance for that gap?

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I shot the **** out of this thing tonight. First thing I noticed, the grips are not nearly as comfortable as I had thought. They feel fine here in the house, but drawing from a holster I find that my hand falls into a different position (the same one everytime, thankfully) than the grips are cut for. So, it looks like I need me some new chunks of wood. The second thing I noticed was that, while that pin never fell out, by the end of the night it edged out just a hair farther that it normally sat. So, with the next batch of grips I will make sure that there is a stop for that pin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.