Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Anschutz 1712 and I need a scope for small-bore silhouette competition. It must have these features:

adjustable objective

1" tube (recommend a 30 mm only if you can also recommend rings that hold the line of sight at least 2" above the bore)

20X to 25X, I prefer fixed power but will accept buying a variable and never adjusting it

0.5 MOA target dot, but I will accept a 0.375 MOA target dot

light enough to make hunter class (under about one pound, but I can get back to you later with a precise weight limit)

under $1000 (and over $500 - I'm not interested in buying junk)

Please only recommend scopes that are currently being manufactured. The internet is ankle deep in people talking about scopes that are no longer available.

I would consider buying a used scope if someone has one that meets these specifications.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Is the Weaver T24 still in production? I have not shopped for one in years but that one meets all your points, and its design was at least partly influenced by 1/5 scale silhouette,even has the distances marked out on the objective.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you guys know about Mueller Optics? I've never heard of them before, but just found them on the internet this morning.

Their 8.5-25x50 AO Eradicator might work except that, at 22 ounces, my rifle will not qualify for hunter class. (It probably would have without the illuminated reticle, which is of no use in competition.) But I can still compete all year in the local club matches; they don't weigh rifles as long as they look like tapered-barrel wood-stock hunting rifles. It is only at the state championship that they weigh everybody's rifle.

https://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-8-5-25x50-eraticator-black/

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Both the VX-3HD and the VX-3i are discontinued.

Discontinued, as is the Sightron Big Sky.
Leupold shows the VX3 HD as a currentitem on their website, but I'm pretty sure you can still find a VX3i available with a fine duplex reticle, which I think would be preferable due to the proven target turrets. There are aftermarket companies that can install a dot reticle for you.
Here's the part # to search for.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-6-5-20x40mm-Target-Riflescope-Reticle/dp/B01EV4ZFGE

Beware of counterfeits like Indo Optics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The VX-3HD is unavailable everywhere but I see now that is not because it is discontinued but because it is new.

I think I would prefer the lower profile dials - those big obtrusive target turrets can make it difficult to close the lid on a rifle case. I have a Mark IV on my 6.5 Creedmoor and it has low-profile dials. The military has never used those big target turrets - that looks like a recipe for whacking your scope against the side of a tree trunk.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The VX-3HD is unavailable everywhere but I see now that is not because it is discontinued but because it is new.

I think I would prefer the lower profile dials - those big obtrusive target turrets can make it difficult to close the lid on a rifle case. I have a Mark IV on my 6.5 Creedmoor and it has low-profile dials. The military has never used those big target turrets - that looks like a recipe for whacking your scope against the side of a tree trunk.
There's a 24X Weaver listed on Steel Chickens.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I didn't realize those were popular in Silhouette motovita.

I've got a friend who has been trying to sell one for a couple of years and nobody seems interested because the magnification is too low for benchrest and too high without enough elevation for most of the varmint shooters.

I may need to hit him up!

·
Registered
329 Posts
What about this one? I've been quite happy with all my Athlon scopes and binos (except one).

https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-hmr-4-20x50-ahmc-sfp-moa/

I know it's only 20x, and that's detriment, but the reticle looks good to me. I recently got a Midas TAC with a floating dot reticle and I really like it now.

I'm currently using a Talos 6-24 with a mil hash reticle, and the reticle is a little bit busy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
IMO, the reticle is too busy. I recently switched from a very fine mil hash, to a coarser duplex w/ floating dot, and it was much easier on the eyes for silhouette / offhand shooting.

And that's coming from someone who is a huge fan of the "christmas tree" type reticle for prs / nrl type target shooting.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unfortunately used scopes are your best bet. The market is currently flooded with two variants of tacticool style scopes, the high end (Japanese, US and euro stuff) and the low end, (Chinese garbage).
The older Weavers, Leupolds, Burris, BL, Japanese Tascos... etc... with 1/4 moa adj are your best bets, with a dot reticle or heavy duplex. Forget the mildot and inverted christmas tree reticles, they are too busy and you have enough to contend with in offhand shooting to be handicapped by excess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got the Athlon Argos HMR that I linked earlier in this thread a few weeks ago.

Really liking the conventional duplex with floating dot. It's much easier to see the dot on the target compared to the fine cross / mil hash reticle of the previous scope. First time at the range with this scope I set a new PB (by 12 points!) in the 25 yd RFC offhand match, and matched my PB in silhouette (practice) as well.

Pros:
The reticle.
25 MOA per turn of turret, so one isn't spinning the turret a full rev or more to go from chickens to rams like my other old school MOA scopes.
Turret clicks are extremely tactile. Almost hard to turn the turret, but you can't over shoot.
Easily available, relatively inexpensive ~$350.
Decent glass. Of course 100 meters isn't much of a test of glass. I've got scopes with better, and worse glass.

Cons:
Turret clicks are really fine. Turret barely moves per click, but since the clicks are so positive this hasn't been an issue.
Some would say made in china. but darn near everything is any more.
Only 20x. If this went to 24 or 25x it would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've called Athlon before to see if they would be willing to do a run of silhouette suited scopes and they weren't interested. I honestly can't blame them too much because if there was a market for it, the other manufacturers like Sightron and Leupold wouldn't have dropped out. I suggested that they design one and leave it as a custom shop option so that they don't have scopes sitting on the shelf if the demand isn't low, but still no dice.

It's sad because Athlon makes a great scope in a good price point. It wouldn't be hard to make a fixed power scope in the range of 24-30x in a 1" tube with a simple dot reticle and we'd be in business. I say fixed power as their variable scopes in the 6-24 (Talos/Midas) area are a bit heavy for our game.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts