Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a rifle from a current "receiver/barrel only" from CMP?

Barrel is trash:
Receiver finish is poor:
Missing trigger group:
No bolt:
No stock:

All of that is fine with me. This sounds like a fun project and does not scare me or detract from the finished rifle. ( I can see it in my mind.)

My questions: Are bolts expensive or hard to find? Is it worth the money? What is the average cost to machine/true the receiver and have a barrel threaded for it?

Buying one like this allows me to build a custom rifle. That is appealing to me. I'd get to choose everything. :) If I buy this, I won't buy a 504-T LS HB.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Building a custom will cost money

These are costs that I incurred having a 30 BR built on a 700 short action.. I already had a complete functioning action, shilen trigger and a Shehane stock but neither the time, equipment or skill to do the work. I also wanted one of the best 'smiths in the country to build the rifle. I'm sure that I paid a premium for that as well.

1. Lilja 3 Groove s/s 1-17 twist HV.... $297.00
2. 1- Holland Heavy duty lug.... $32.00
Total Parts..... $329.00
Labor.
1. Thread, chamber, headspace...... $295.00
2. Indicated crown ......... $77.00
3.Special throat...... $39.50
4. Bead blast and letter.... $77.00
5. Print receiver and sleeve bolt.... $395.00
6. Pillars and glass..... $197.50
7. Remove wood in barrel channel, ejection port and re-seal wood. $143.50
Total Labor........... $ 1224.50

A stock will cost you $200-300 depending on what you want.
A competition trigger is $100-200 depending on what you want.

The bolt is another story. You won't get one from Remington, and Gun Parts Corp isn't likely to have one either. Other threads in this forum and others seem to indicate costs of $200-350 (this is more a supply and demand issue) for a 40x bolt when you can find one.

Be prepared to spend some money.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Jeff,

Curious what weight .308 bullet you're shooting in your .30BR?

Also, since older 40Xs were built on 722 actions and later ones on 700 short, will a 722 or 700 bolt work in these? Not very familiar with the details of a 40X.

gr'pa

After looking at the picture of the 40X bolt on ebay, I can see that the bolt locks up back in the receiver instead of in the front... answered my own question.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I received my barreled action a couple of weeks ago. The action looks good and does not need to be refinished. I had a bolt that I bought several years ago. My smith is fitting the firing pin, pulling barrell to crown and head space for arround $100.00. The barrel has some finish wear but the inside cleaned up just fine. I am lucky that this one had all the parts except the bolt. The trigger functions just fine and breaks at 8oz. I will let everyone know how it shoots after I get everything together.
Good luck, Paul

Here are my other two 40x rimfires

·
Registered
295 Posts
grandparem, I have three 40x rimfire actions now and you are right in your thought that they will take a short action remington bolt. All that needs to be done is to take the action filler out and pull the barrel. The locking lugs for the center fire bolt are there, they are just hidden by the barrel shank of the rimfire barrel. I may try and buy another just for this purpose. You can buy all of the parts needed to convert to center fire from Brownells. Good luck, Paul

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
stsbuyer said:
grandparem, I have three 40x rimfire actions now and you are right in your thought that they will take a short action remington bolt. All that needs to be done is to take the action filler out and pull the barrel. The locking lugs for the center fire bolt are there, they are just hidden by the barrel shank of the rimfire barrel. I may try and buy another just for this purpose. You can buy all of the parts needed to convert to center fire from Brownells. Good luck, Paul
Thanks, Paul..... not planning to use one but was just curious. However, with all the 722s being built into bench rifles these days, it is getting harder to find one.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
retired jeff said:
at BR matches all have lugs in the middle of the bolt. So now I'm wondering, why would Remington cut lug recesses in two different locations of the action? This sounds kinda strange to me.

Grandparem - 118-125gr see the article @ http://www.6mmbr.com/30br.html
Evidently Remington used the same receiver for rimfire or centerfire. I would think the second set of recesses might weaken the receiver as the Remington receivers are known to flex some anyway. Sure doesn't seem to hurt them as it seems like most bench guns are either Remington or Stolle or some other custom action.
Interesting article... didn't read it all yet but will finish later. I have a couple shooting buddies that have had .30BRs built in the last year and wondered why they were changing from 6BR and 6PPC to .30BR. One on a 722 and the other Stolle. I have the .300 Savage barrel from the 722 but I'm not sure why.... Guess I thought maybe rechamber to .308 for some project :) .

·
Registered
295 Posts
retired jeff, Your right that the lugs are in the center when the action has a rimfire barrel in it. But if you pull the barrel you will find the cut for the center fire bolt. Take a look at one when you can and you will see the bolt race way at the front of the loading port. Later, Paul

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm sure this isn't the reason all disappeared, but an amateur gunbuilder friend tells me that the source for XP-100 Rimfire conversions had to have some source for bolts, but this is probably just another conspiracy theory...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.