Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Here's strictly a guess. The price has come down to fit within a lot of prices involved in normal tricking out of the benchgun shooters. I'd guess that some of their claims have some merit, but if it did anywhere near as much good as they claim, every other bench rest shooter out there would have it done.

I think I can only recall the subject brought up here about twice in the past year...and no one was making any claims..

Ron

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
larebow,
Residual stress in a barrel is another possible cause of inaccuracy. Stress can be caused by the rifling process, as it is in button rifling (our method), or can exist in the steel bar as it was received from the steel mill. We stress relieve our barrels with elevated temperatures. As discussed elsewhere (FAQ) we have not found that the deep cyrogenic process is very effective at removing stress in the steels commonly used in rifle barrel manufacture. [Daniel Lilja]
What Makes a Rifle Barrel Accurate? by Daniel Lilja

I have read on other Forums [centerfire] where people have claimed that it [cryo] had improved the accuracy of their ".237 Super Varmint Smasher":
0 Did the 'cryo' of the barrel improve the accuracy...? ?
0 Did the 'refitting' of the barrel to the action improve the accuracy...? ?

I will not bore you with the statistical analysis required to show cause and effect, but, in my mind, cryo is just 'smoke and mirrors'.
Having spent almost 40 years as an engineer in the heavy metal working industry, dealing with metals you can't even imagine, and having spent thousands of hours with metallurgists arguing over minutiae, cryo is not an accepted metallurgical tool for stress refief...... :(

What is your opinion of the deep cryogenic processing of barrels? [Daniel Lilja]

Hope this helps.....! !

PS: I have a bridge for sale, if you are interested...? ? :D

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Whoops......

jls,

Thanks, I had it 'corrected' on another screen, and then I was interrupted by a phone call, and, well you know the rest.....! ! :(

I will write 100X on the board:
minutiae
minutiae
minutiae
minutiae
minutiae

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Since BigMike

quoted Dan Lilja, I'll quote Doug Shilen, since aurguably those two firms make some of the best barrels available.
Should I "cryo" my barrel?

If you have heard that the cryogenic treatment stress relieves steel, this is false. We have measured the residual stress in 4140 and 416 steel with a process called x-ray diffraction. After much R&D, we have not been able to measure any changes in molecular stress after cryo treatment. For this reason we do not endorse the cryogenic process, but we can safely say that it is not detrimental to the barrel either.
From www.shilen.com FAQ
:D
Paul
BTW, Shilen isn't wild about fluting barrels either:eek: (See FAQ on above website)
One other thing about cryogenincs... Don't expect to be revived when they take you out of the deepfreeze either;) :D :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.