Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi : I got my webley in and am dissapointed to see the crown is totally uneven; as in it is hollowed out at the top of the barrel like a drill bit was run down through it from the top at an angle...
the front of the crown is not squared. the top half is dished out and is not aligend with the sides or the bottom.... I am very dissapointed, but feel I can probably crown it my self, but am tempted to make pyramid eat it as I have not shot it yet...
any suggestions on crowning it my self or if Ishould send it back to pyramid. I am afraid I will get some crap back... if I send it back I will get a refund in full as I will not want it at all .. if it goes back they can keep it. depending on what you guys say I may be re crowning the barrel or may be choosing a different gun entirely, as they had no other patriot 25s and I have bought several thousand pellets to get started and aquainted with the gun.
thanks for your advice.
dk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any other responses ? I would rather not get agitated but if I have to send it back I will lose my thin veneer of pleasant demeanor ( I am gonna rag on some butt)
lol
I read how others have recrowned rimfire barrels, but am not comfortable with trying to cut it off or spending money to do it ...
any one else.

binfordW : thanks for the response... I know pyramid will take it back... what would you get in 25 cal. ?
dk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know any better way than to do it in a lathe, and that costs money. I think a monkey could have done a better job on the crown.
Hope pyramid likes the taste of that as well as losing a bunch more customers. And if they get their rear end reamed, oh well.
I was thinking of getting something from them, but this has derailed that train of thought.

·
Registered
260 Posts
just new to air guns, have looked at pyramid web site,
but never bought from them...

but to understand here, it sounds like you guys are blaming pyramid
for a bad Webley gun ??

wondering if I am missing something

Pyramid has a great surfing-site, the reviews seem positive

but maybe I am learning I could do better elsewhere...?

B

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
New gun - send it back with letter of explanation. Better yet, call them and talk to them in person. Lemon will leave every factory now and again. Pyramyd do seem to be people committed to their clients. I wouldn't work on this one yourself - if job is botched, they could claim it was your work that messed it up in first place.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. In this case as others have said, Id send it right back.If you fool with recrowning it ,then its on you.Pyrmid should not get heartburn over this. Keep us posted and good luck with it .

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've always been using just JB.....at one point I bought like 15 QB78 Co2 rifles to give away and found that some I had to cut about 1" of the barrel because if it was a .22, the tap for the front sight protruded into the rifling...hack saws didn't do a great job to the crown..but with the JB and the Screw...the crown came out perfect..also the screw head has a bit of area to accumilate the paste.....though one can always go soft..then a bit more abrasive before going back to soft.

·
Registered
166 Posts
binfordW : thanks for the response... I know pyramid will take it back... what would you get in 25 cal. ?
dk
I didnt mean to imply that its the dealers fault, as it isn't really. Just that Pyramyd merely sells what they can get there hands on. SS knows airguns, and inspects and fires the gun I order before its boxed up. When im spending that much cash on something sight- unseen, I want it to go through experienced hands and not just a middleman looking to make a buck.

As far as what quarter cal, thats a good Q. I have contemplated making one my next purchase, the choices are pretty limited. If I did get a .25, it would likely be a Crowmag/Elim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pyramid has a 30 day return policy.......

I bought an air-soft pistol that malfunctioned, I called them, they e-mailed me a pre-paid FedEx shipping label, and returned a new pistol. I was very satisfied with their customer service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the gun again in strong light and determined the bore itself is not touched by the damage to the end... decided to shoot and it shoots really well and consistent..
additionally it looks on the manual that there is an end cap that is removable on the very front of the barrel and it is part and parcel of the front sight and shroud for the front site... it is a sort of plastic or polymer... that is why it is damaged.. it is crushed at the top of the barrel face in the front.. it looks like a peice that pops off and on, and I am checing into that ...
I got a bit miffed; I still think that pyramid should have caught it when I had their tech guys open it up and put an air ram into it... and when I called and inquried concerns over the gun being a return item... I was assured they do go over then and they did so and that it was a preference thing and not a problem with the gun itself... so I was really aggravated that they would take my concerns and have the techies work on the gun and send it to me that way... I am relieved it shoots well preliminary testing shows... almost hole in hole offhand in near dark at fifteen yards or so, shooting one hole and trying to hit it .. seemed the problem ws my eyes and not the gun at all .. and the trigger is just fine for me... I truly like the gun, and find it good enough to work with at this point... I will shoot a good bit to get it really broken in and to get used to it and post some pics of the gun and the groups..
thanks for the concerns and advice..
I do not think that I am going too far to chastize the seller of a return item when there was a failure to disclose a fairly serious appearing problem... the gist is the problem looked really bad and serious instead of easily missed and minor... but maybe they knew it was just an end cap or examined it professionally and knew what they were doing...
I get upset when I waste large amounts of money and get taken even a little bit.... I am funny that way..
dk

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Well thats very good news that the actual crown/ rifling wasnt damaged and only and end cap? Maybe they should send you a new end cap.Someone should have seeing the deformed end cap. Anyway, good luck with it . Let us know all about any future testing you do with this cool ,powerful rifle.:t

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This morning the weather was Louisiana normal : trash cans were filled by rain overnite... etc. as I left for work I thought about draining them ... 25 webley cleared a nice neat hole in three places and drained them right away, the easy way... this is a great trash can shooting gun...
dk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.