2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just setting here reading my new
Virginia Game regulations.
Crow season comes in the 17th of Aug.
Mon. Wed. Fri.& Sat. tell Mar.15 03.

Do any other states have a season?

Hope to get out with my 17HMR and give
it a try on crows. Have to do it after work, working 7 days a week. Two days off sence first week in july.
Going to take some vac.soon but will
wait till Oct.
Like to take a few days in Oct. and
hunt Ground Hogs,Squirrel and Crows
all in the same day.Might even take
my fishing rod along.:D
Anyway Going to be fun,yes indeed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Came in on June 14 2002 and out on March 23 2003 here in Ohio. My dad thought he read somewhere that the crow season was a result of some treaty with mexico. That could be complete BS but that what dad told me.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
10 Posts
in michigan we have a "season" and a rule. The rule is a crow may be taken if it doing harm or is about to do harm. In other words, it is always open season. I think someone very well versed in the subject on this forum called a state dnr and they said that the about to do harm was a federal thing, and then they called the feds and the feds said it was, because of the mexican thing, and it was up to the individual to determne if the crow was about to do harm or be a nuisence.

I think the treaty was about an endangerred crow on the border with mexico and we agreed to make seasons on all crows in the us over the protection of one subspecies of crow.

So the states/feds/rules say - POP THE CROWS

Mike

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The treaty with Mexico

is correct I think,something about the
Raven being the National bird of Mexico
like the Eagle is in the US. They
migrate north to nest so they don't
want us to shoot'em.
Don't have to many ravins around my
nick of the woods,fun to see though.
Look like a crow on steroids.
Big suckers,make a diff.sound than a
crow.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Ron I've checked out

that site before,lot of good info.
on it.
Shotguning crows is OK, but I really
like shoot'in them with a rifle.
Want to give my 17 a try out on them this fall.Will have to wait a while,was
informed today I would be working 12 hrs
a day next week. Drat! Well I do have some vacation coming.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The law in Minnesota is something like July 1st to Jan 15. Or something like that but it also says, "when doing damage or about to do damage." Them dang birds are ALWAYS about to.
I usually shoot maybe about 10 a year. This year I got 4 in one stand with the 870 12ga and a caller :) :) And I've shot 4 with the .223 in the last two months.
Dean_311

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dean_311

What load you shoot'in in your .223
I shoot 28 grs 335 with 40 V max.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I just got the .223 about two half months ago. I got a bunch of FMJ cheapo chinese made, and Russian hollowpoints. I just took them to the range and shot them off to get used to them. I dont have a rifle reloader up here that I can use. So for now, Im going to buy Black Hills match 52 gr. hp. Or I may get the ballistic tip winchesters.

Dean_311

·
Registered
193 Posts
In maine we have a split season from Mar. 14-Apr. 30 and July 16-
Sept. 29.

I mostly use my 20 guage a 12 guage or my 10/22. I have shot at quite a few but only killed one or two and wounded another with a 12guage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Plinker

Please let me know how the hummer does on crows. I really want to know because that will probably be my excuse for getting a hummer:D :D :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
Owl decoys / calls

Hey I was wondering what the deal is using owl decoys & calls for crow hunting. An old friend of mine used to hunt them said owl's are their natural enemy, and will come in to harrass them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Owl likes to work the crows over

at night while they are roosting.
Swoopes down grabes one off the roost
and eats him.
By day it's the crows turn,but about
all they can do is keep him from getting
any rest.So if they see a owl they raise
'ell, call all the others to help.
They also like to pester hawks .

Haven't shot any crows with the 17
yet,maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all, after reading a bit about seasons in this Hunting forum, I was wondering do you have seasons for every type of animal you can shoot in the US, like:
Rabbit, Hares, Pigeon, Dove, Magpie, Pheasant or anyother game out there???
Thanks for any info:)

HS

·
Registered
140 Posts
On hares, doves and pheasants, definetly. The Dove season in CA opens Sept.1st. Pheasants and hares, I don't know. The Black Tail and Whitetail Jack rabbits are open all year long. Crow season in California opens December 1st and closes 4/4. I believe it is unlawful to shoot a crow with a rifle, unless the crow is commiting predation on wildlife or domestic animals. Anyway, it is alot funner to shoot wing shoot crows. Especially if you disturb them disturbing your animals. Every year we lose a few chicks due to them, so, open season for me. Shotgun, or rifle.
Matt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the reply lads,:)
It seems a bit strange not being able to a shoot crow or wonder wheter its "season" for that type of animal, if I see a crow its usually down by my feet in a few seconds due to the 12GAUGE:D

HS:)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hotshot

How is the crow population in Wales.
We have alot of them here,but they
are spread out pretty good in Va.
More around good food supplies.

As far as for seasons, have you ever
heard that Oysters are in "season" in
the months that have a "R" in them.
Well I have heard it said that cRows are in "season" when you spell cRow with
a "R" in it.:D :D :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Plinker, thanks for the help.
Over here in Wales there is alot of crows and are spread out in all different areas, just like your place is...VA. There is a demand to shhot them where I live because the farmers have just done the harvesting and the crows are pecking at the bales and disturbing the crops, so any crows shot helps you to be in the farmers good books:)
I havnt got a .22 yet but my FAC should be on its way and then a CZ 452 will take care of the annoying black featherd beasts, hopefully. The 12gauge is just to loud and once youve had 1 shot, thats about it for a couple of hours, they all scarper.
If you lay 50yards+ back and suit yourself up in camo's then you could take loads of them, put a silencer on the rifle and use subs and I bet that sends there little brain wondering...why there mates are rolling over and jumpin around and not getting up again.

Youre welcome to come over and shoot the crows til your hearts content and that goes for anyone out there.:)
Shame about the few thousand miles:(

Ive never heard of the oyster season or that thing with the "R", anyway...I usually learn something everyday, not suprising when theres hardly anything in my brain anyway:D

AllTheBest

HS:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.