Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Crosman 760 Thread by T191032

1114 11
Well, if anyone has read my post(s) in the "QB57 for pest control" thread you know I kinda got to rambling about Crosman airguns and didn't want to steal from that important subject. So, here is the 760s.

First up, the first 760 I owned :

I fiddled with the camera, thus it does look "shiner" in this shot.

My home-made bolt attchment, a mear nut screwed onto the bolt

And then, we have the newer one, with the sentimental attachment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

Please note the scopes are the small 3/4" ones. They are really there more for looks these days than practical use. Love the 1" ones and if I was determined to "hunt" with either I'd swap in a moment or just use the issue sights.
Anyway, back to the beautiful pics

Here is the sticker on the box.

And the receipt which is stapled to the box.

And a few shots of the rifle itself.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Do those have a plastic receiver nowadays?"

Yes, they are for the most part all plastic, though Crosman has made one with a wood stock and fore end. I had one of the newer ones, but it just seemed so light and "toy-like" that way, so I sold it (and shouldn't have).

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HandyAndy wrote :

"Yeah, the current model is mostly plastic, but still fun to "play" with. I like the 5 round pellet magazine too. I added my own wood stocks. Makes them a little heavier too."

Andy, you're probably tired of hearing me say it by now, but I'm gonna say it again. "Nice. You give new life to the 760s."

Yes, those 5-shot clips are handy for shooting. Works with the 664s too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had a 760 that I bought new back around 1970 from a Coast-to-Coast store in a little town in South Dakota; it had the non-checkered wood stock and no scope. Even though I had a lot of fun with it, I recall my disappointment in its inability to break a glass soda bottle @ 10 yds. with a BB and 10 or more pumps.

I wish I still had it anyway. :(

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here's my boyhood 761XL. The original gold finish was worn off - so I repainted it with brake caliper high temp. paint. Reblued the metalwork and refinished the stock in oil. Also added a butt pad to make it fit better. Also rebuilt the valve and did a valve retaning pin too.

(Those are sparrows, LOL....)

It's a fun little gun and I don't know how many BB's and pells it's shot. Last time I went to use it it wouldn't hold air - needs a new pump cup and new check valve. :eek:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here we have the new Crosman 760 I just bought today. I decided that I was going to scope this one, straight out, so I just slapped the Daisy Powerline 3-9x32 I took off the Savage Mk IIG and put it on the air rifle. I must say, this bird is rather tough to pump (not the "easy/painless" effort like my other two). Yea, I'd had one before, but I still had the two "FIREPOW'R" speedloader packages for the last one sitting around too. Still like springers more, but I guess it's always good to have an extra pump-powered one around.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Memories

I see some differences between this new 760 and my (long gone) 760 from 1970.

As I recall, mine was loaded with BBs by sliding a little hatch door in the butt plate and dumping in several dozen. After closing the hatch, you kind of rotated and shook the gun with the muzzle pointed down which allowed up to 20 or so to fill the receiver reservoir. I'd pull the bolt handle back and pick up 1 BB from the reservoir on the magnetic tip and simultaneously cock the gun... pump and shoot.

Mine also had an uncheckered wood stock and pump handle.

I'm not sure whether I'd buy another or "invest" the money in some other air gun.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As you said, "Memories"

Mine you feed BBs into the left side and do the shake thing...I never did though. I just opened the bolt (never had a manual, so I wasn't totally familiar with it back then) placed a BB on the rather conveniently placed screw and pushed the bolt in. Even put 3 BBs in, kinda a little shotgun, later found out I was doing something others had been doing for years.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
In one of Jame Houses air gun books, one strategy he recommended for scoring older BB / Pellet rifles was to go to small town hardware / gunshop / pawnshops that stocked them and ask to see the display rifle. Sometimes, it is an older model that they lost the box on, and will sell for less money. Some inevitable handling marks, but still - an oldie.

Thought I'd pass that along - hope it helps someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.