Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Crooked Ruger 10/22s....

76063 255
WARNING ABOUT CROOKED RUGER RECEIVERS:

Ruger has produced more than an astounding 6 million 10/22 rifles in the last 50 years. While we love our Rugers, they are not without their flaws.

Our Titan 1022 stock is designed to be fully compatible with the Ruger 10//2 receiver but there is a problem we are seeing with some of the Rugers receivers out there, a few have been manufactured with a crooked barrel hole. (The hole in the receiver which the barrel slides into.)

It appears there are a certain percentage of these receivers which have been manufactured with a barrel hole which is slightly canted to the left and when installed on the Titan, it makes it appear as if the stock is bent. I assure you the stock is perfectly straight.

We discovered this flaw on two of our own Ruger receivers and scanned the barreled actions into a laser scanner to scientifically verify what we thought we were seeing... the barrel cants to the left approximately 0.070" at the end of an 16 inch barrel. This is a Ruger manufacturing error (or what you may call a very loose tolerance).

The easiest way you can check your receiver to see if it's straight is by removing it from the stock, removing the trigger group and bolt carrier group then C clamp it to to a flat surface (like a metal table or granite countertop). Measure the distance from surface of the table to the outside edge of the barrel. Then flip it over on the other side and do the same. The two measurements you get should be the same, if they are different then your barrel is canted. Bull barreled receivers work best for measuring this.

We have had a number of customers return their Titan stocks thinking the stock was bent. We took the returned stocks and installed three different receivers to check for straightness (a Kidd, a PWS T3 Summit and a straight Ruger 10/22). In EVERY case the stock was perfectly straight. There were no manufacturing flaws in the Titan.

We stand 100 percent behind our Titan stocks and will make good on any of our products that falls outside of our very high standards of manufacturing. While there is always the possibility that we could have produced an imperfect stock, if you are seeing your Ruger barrel canting to the left in the barrel channel, it is the Ruger receiver which is out of spec, not the Titan.

Please check your receiver before you purchase a Titan stock to see if it is indeed canted. If you purchase a Titan stock and find the barrel is canted to the left, we are happy to refund the cost of stock but we will not pay for shipping.

Thank you and happy shooting!

MV

ETA:

NOTE - THE CROOKED RUGER RECEIVERS SHOOT JUST AS ACCURATELY AS THE STRAIGHTER ONES. THIS IS A COSMETIC FLAW AS YOU CAN SEE THE BARREL CANTED TO ONE SIDE. AS LONG AS YOUR BARREL IS NOT TOUCHING THE EDGE OF THE STOCK YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

More threads concerning this issue....

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4827529

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567545
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What solution could there be other than Ruger replacing a whole bunch of receivers under warranty?

Could Ruger re-mill the barrel hole straight and then supply a sleeve for the tenon to fit the now-oversize hole? Would it be easy and economic enough to bother?

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
..... the barrel cants to the left approximately 0.70" at the end of an 16 inch barrel. This is a Ruger manufacturing error (or what you may call a very loose tolerance).

The easiest way you can check your receiver to see if it's straight is by removing it from the stock, removing the trigger group and bolt carrie group then C clamp it to to a flat surface (like a metal table or granite countertop). Measure the distance from surface of the table to the outside edge of the barrel. Then flip it over on the other side and do the same. The two measurements you get should be the same, if they are different then your barrel is canted. Bull barreled receivers work best for measuring this....
.70!!!! That's almost 3/4 inch. With a scope on the receiver you'd be shooting into the next county on the left. You wouldn't have to measure - the barrel would hold the receiver off the table on one side. Did you mean .07"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been on here for a while just reading. This one did hit home.

I was fooling around with my new Houge stock...my barrall was not centered. I assumed it was the stock. I had the stock across my chest sitting in a chair, gave it a slight little tug to straighten it out. Snap, it broke it half with little effort. That was two weeks ago. I ordered a Titan, it is scheduled for delivery today. My barrel is .075 off according to my granite countertop. Can't wait to see the brown truck.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think I was the first Titan owner to have this problem. Michael asked me to check the receiver as he described here. My action was indeed tilting the barrel to the left. Trying to hold it right while tightening the action screw did not help.

What to do, what to do. Well here is what I did. I have wanted a threaded 10/22 action and barrel for some time. So I sent the action and barrel to Randy for threading.
While I am a firm believer that you shouldn't try to finish sand a turd, this time it worked.

Now the action fit is perfect and the rifle gun is one of my best shooters.
If you have a Ruger receiver that is causing this problem, you may want to consider sending it off as I did. For $180 bucks you get a threaded receiver, rechamber, cleaning hole and Randy check up.

billy

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you have a Ruger receiver that is causing this problem, you may want to consider sending it off as I did. For $180 bucks you get a threaded receiver, rechamber, cleaning hole and Randy check up.

billy
Sounds like real good advice to me and I might wind up doing exactly that with my factory receiver and Feddersen contour barrel someday.

This may or may not be helpful to the OP. However, before I got my Feddersen slip-fit barrel I had a Kidd resistance-fit barrel and, before that, I interchanged two factory stock barrels to compare them for accuracy.

With both factory-stock barrels and the Feddersen my scopes needed to be adjusted for windage by 12moa from the center of the scopes range. Not perfect but for what it is certainly not bad.

When I installed the Kidd with the super-tight tenon it went from 12moa off center to 32moa off center. I removed and re-installed the Kidd to see if that would help. NO. Same.

When Kidd inspected the barrel they said it was perfect and I believe them. I can only assume that the difference in tenon fitment allowed the v-block to pull the slip-fit barrels into much better alignment whereas all the v-block does with the tight tenon is keep it from shooting loose.

Now I have never tried the Gunsmither barrel retainer but everyone here swears by it.

If I were the OP I would get some factory stock take-off barrels and start experimenting with the V-block and the Gunsmither retainer and sanding the tenons for a looser fit in the factory receiver bore.

In the end I would hope to get a barrel pulled into alignment. Then I would CONSIDER using GREEN loctite (penetrating) to back fill the gaps IF the loose fit after re-alignment was a problem in itself.

Now I fully appreciate the OP is heavily invested in the STOCK and wanting the final fit and finish with the factory receiver to have the barrels all be centered in the barrel channel with out requiring the customer to go to great lengths or expense. However, I don't think that is going to happen.

My approach for a few years now is to use tape to shim the receiver in the front/rear/both sides to w/o the barrel or trigger group installed such that the thru hole in stock and the threaded hole in the receiver are in absolutely PERFECT alignment. Then I install the barrel and remove material from the barrel channel as required to eliminate any/all interference/contact with the barrel.

That said, I will make an attempt to line the receiver up in the receiver bed when shimming to center the thru hole to compensate the barrel wanting to hit/touch the barrel channel. It helps reduce the amount of 'off center' of the barrel in the channel.

Have NOT had one come out centered in the stock. However, centering the take-down holes is way more important to me than having the barrel be centered in the channel.

That is a hard position to take when manufacturing/modifying/selling stocks I know but might be the right one in the long run.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think I was the first Titan owner to have this problem. Michael asked me to check the receiver as he described here. My action was indeed tilting the barrel to the left. Trying to hold it right while tightening the action screw did not help.

What to do, what to do. Well here is what I did. I have wanted a threaded 10/22 action and barrel for some time. So I sent the action and barrel to Randy for threading.
While I am a firm believer that you shouldn't try to finish sand a turd, this time it worked.

Now the action fit is perfect and the rifle gun is one of my best shooters.

billy
Billy what barrel did you have threaded and Randy's work on? I assume a GM and not a Kidd?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought a Titan last summer and when I put the gun together the barrel was tight on the left and a gap on the right. Took a second gun apart put that barreled receiver in the Titan, same thing. Thought well that stock is cooked. Swore a little, took another gun apart, same thing. tight on the left, gap on the right. There is no way you can have three receivers and all bent to the left. Wrong, all three are bent to the left. Michael warned me in a email that I would still have the problem even with a new stock. Got my new Titan today, and he was right, same problem. Will the gunsmither block help if you file the edge at an angle. Witch side would you file to push or pull the barrel to the right.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a Titan last summer and when I put the gun together the barrel was tight on the left and a gap on the right. Took a second gun apart put that barreled receiver in the Titan, same thing. Thought well that stock is cooked. Swore a little, took another gun apart, same thing. tight on the left, gap on the right. There is no way you can have three receivers and all bent to the left. Wrong, all three are bent to the left. Michael warned me in a email that I would still have the problem even with a new stock. Got my new Titan today, and he was right, same problem. Will the gunsmither block help if you file the edge at an angle. Witch side would you file to push or pull the barrel to the right.
You would file away the side opposite of the way you want the barrel to move. To move the barrel right, file the left side so when you tighten the block only the right side is being pushed. Not sure how much it would help though. You are only torquing the block to 10 in-lb.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would file away the side opposite of the way you want the barrel to move. To move the barrel right, file the left side so when you tighten the block only the right side is being pushed. Not sure how much it would help though. You are only torquing the block to 10 in-lb.
Yeah I have two crooked Ruger actions and our gunsmith tried to tighten down the vblock to the opposite side of the cant in an effort to pull it back straight but it was a fools errand. That barrel is permanently crooked.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The best way to fix the problem is sell them and buy a Kidd! Sorry : (

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.