Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

crazy idea

384 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  RET
i had either a great or idiotic idea today. once i get my cm-2 i will take it to the range and test it with a variety of ammo. if it outshoots my savage mark 2 i will leave it alone for the most part, but if it doesnt shoot as well as i like maybe i could reline to 17hmr? i took the bolts out of my 22 bolt guns and a 22 mag head fits perfectly in the bolt recess. it even appears the extractor would work as-is. has anyone had any experience relining? and what kind of accuracy is reasonable to expect out of 17hmr? i was thinking of using it for a varmint gun if it worked out.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Have you checked

the price to convert...assuming someone else does the work. If it is your personal project, go for it. Otherwise it may cost much more than it is worth.

Re barreling generally has a more sure outcome than relining. Relining is very dependent upon liner quality. Who makes a high quality .17 liner? The liner will generally be a much softer steel than original barrels....but that may not matter for rimfires.

I have relined many rimfire barrels, and unless the rifle was a gift ( free ) or had sentimental value, AND the barrel was shot out/ needed replacement..... I'd use as is.

Consider in this order:

Use as is.
Use as is and re-work as needed.
Re barrel and re-work as needed.
Reline and re-work as needed.

But I understand the goal of making a fix er upper better. Please post pics as the project moves along. Everyone likes to learn something new.

ret

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re- barrel?

where can i find a replacement barrel for a cm-2? i agree you are probably right about rebarreling it would likely be easier. but can i even get one? also i was looking for a rimfire gun that i can use for cheap "long range" plinking and an occasional varmint up to the size of a coyote. i like the trajectory and energy that .17 has. brownells sells .22 to .17 caliber liners but i have no idea what kind of quality they are. the sight says "match grade" and has some positive reviews but does anyone know if they are quality?

btw i plan on doing everything myself except maybe chambering it. its 75$for the reamer, i cant imagine it costing much more to have a pro do it.

· Registered
470 Posts
where can i find a replacement barrel for a cm-2? i agree you are probably right about rebarreling it would likely be easier. but can i even get one?

No Idea.... likely there is not one, unless custom fitted aftermarket. Think major investment.

also i was looking for a rimfire gun that i can use for cheap "long range" plinking and an occasional varmint up to the size of a coyote. i like the trajectory and energy that .17 has. brownells sells .22 to .17 caliber liners but i have no idea what kind of quality they are. the sight says "match grade" and has some positive reviews but does anyone know if they are quality?

They most likely are good quality.

btw i plan on doing everything myself except maybe chambering it. its 75$for the reamer, i cant imagine it costing much more to have a pro do it.

You'll have more than $75 into this I think. But if you want an outcome that is not available otherwise...so what? Decide your boundaries and more forward or move on to another project. Not every project of mine was is worth the time, but I generally knew that prior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.