Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cracked reciver?

1217 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  DFARM
I was painting my reciver today and while I was spraying I noticed a crack in the reciver right at the rear of the ejection port, all the way at the back where it gets smaller, I will post picks when the paint dries. I have no idea how long it has been like that, I havn't paid any attention(taking it out of the stock or cleaning it) since I put a new barrel on it two years ago. I have shot I don't know how many thousand rounds and dropped it a couple of times in that amount of time. Is it safe just to keep on shooting, or is it a paper weight now and I have an excuse to buy an aftermarket reciver. Any help or oppinions will help. Thanks.
Dfarm

PS. I should be able to have pics up in a couple of hours.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Waiting for pictures...

DFARM said:
Is it safe just to keep on shooting, or is it a paper weight now and I have an excuse to buy an aftermarket reciver.
I'll wait until one of the more qualified metal experts comes onboard to make a decision on the safety of firing the cracked receiver, but who needs an excuse?
that really sucks. im not sure if it is safe to shoot or not. :confused:
Call Ruger, they will replace the receiver for you. I called them, they had me send the receiver in, I received a letter in the mail some time later that I had to sign and return to them along with payment of 35.00, after some more time passed a new receiver arrived in the mail.

Teaus
I seem to remember that Ruger replaced someones cracked receiver a little while ago. I'm not sure what the legal/warranty specifics are but, I know that it takes awhile because they have to wait for production cycles to come around so that they can strike a fresh one with the specific serial number.

doh, beat me to it.
I've got one that cracked in the exact same place. I just decided to moth ball it cause I didn't think ruger would replace it. I'll have to give them a call and see. I wonder if a bolt buffer would have prevented this or maybe slowed it down a little.
jimsjimsjims said:
I seem to remember that Ruger replaced someones cracked receiver a little while ago. I'm not sure what the legal/warranty specifics are but, I know that it takes awhile because they have to wait for production cycles to come around so that they can strike a fresh one with the specific serial number.

doh, beat me to it.
Something doesn't sound right there. Two receivers made on different dates with the same serial number? Sounds like something that would drive the BATF to smoke and drink. More likely Ruger would require the receiver go through an FFL to re-register the new number. I've seen cracked cast aluminum engine blocks heliarced and put back into service--why not a receiver?
They destroy the original. At least that's how it worked with ar15's.
Ok, heres pics. I wonder why I didn't see the crack until the paint was on it?
See less See more
is this a common problem?...or is it something you don't have to really worry about that much?...i feel paranoid it might happen to mine now
Hmm, thats an odd place for a crack...I think you got a bad one....Dosn't look like a critical place, but who knows? better get it replaced....When I stripped mine and repainted it, I noticed little voids here and there in mine, one big one in the top on the inside of the receiver, one inside where the magazine screw end goes, even inside the trigger group pins holes....maybe it just had too many voids in that area....
DFARM, I would be interested to know how many rounds you think you have through that gun, did you have a buffer in it, and did you shot a lot of hyper velocity ammo?
what kind of paint do you use to paint the reciver?
I'm definately not a 10/22 guru but I'd never shoot a firearm with a cracked receiver unless it was a life or death situation. :1t
I cracked a 10/22 receiver back around 91 still have it for parts gun. At the time I could buy a new on locally for 109 dollars so I never sent it back to Ruger. The parts have been handy at times.

It cracked on both sides. It cracked close to the 3rd serial number above and below.. down to the the corner of the cut out. And on the other side. It cracked farther back than yours. It cracked at the lower rear of the ejection port down straight down just behind one of the trigger group holes.

Not sure what caused it. It had less than a thousand rounds thru it. But I did put a .920.. 21" free floated barrel on just before it happened.

One disturbing thing I have noticed checking out receiver to stock fit before installing barrels on SOME aftermarket 10/22 stocks over the years. Is a gap where the action screw is between the receiver and the stock. Like MKnarr is talking about. It should be a high priority because of the wrong stress it can cause on a receiver. It can be checked with no barrel on the receiver and the receiver seated by using feeler gages. It it best corrected with bedding compound but correct shims are better than nothing.
See less See more
Either send it back to Ruger for replacement, or make sure your stock is fully bedded and shoot it till it gets worse. I recommend the first choice. That being said and I aint to bright..................I'd bed it and shoot it. IF/When it gets worse, then I'd send it to Ruger.

JMHO NOT ADVICE,
swampf0x
I think that I will just use it the way that it is, I tried this morning to get the crack to move or separate and I couldn't, so I think that I will just bed the area around the action screw and the first couple of inches of the barrel and float the action and see if it gets worse. the hottest rounds that this gun sees is velociters, but mostly it gets fed dynapoints. On a better note, the bolt and reciver look great, I will post pics. later.
Crack or scratch?

I had a 1911 that had a crack in it. Or so I thought. I'm thinking now it may have just been a deep scratch. I may need to take another look soemtime.
Unfortunately, this is definately a crack. You can see it on both sides in the pic. if you look carefully. I need to make the size of the images on the camera bigger.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.