Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear about those of you that have hunted coyotes with 22 wmr and 17 hmr.  I am 26 and have hearing damage already (the phone is ringing) and my 22-250 is to loud.  I am guessing that the 17 will not be enough for coyotes but would like to hear anyway.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
 Try posting this in the 17 forum
you will probably get more answers.
 Chief Dave posted the other
that he shot a coyote at 150.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Id say that after about 150 yards, I wouldnt take a shot with either.....But, that all depends on shot placement/wind and all of the other factors of "outdoor living".

Chiefs shot at 150 yards must have been amazing to see!  I wouldve loved to be there when he made that shot!  He said that shot placement was the key.

So, Chief has proved that with shot placement, it is possible to take a coyote at 150 yards.  Im sure you could do the same with the 22 WMR, but I wouldnt shoot anything past 150 yards, unless you are just out for "varmint control".  Like if the coyote is eating your chickens.....

For shots past 150 yards, Id go with something faster in a centerfire......
.22 Hornet
.22-250

Something along those lines, but for the answer.....Yes, they will both work, as long as the shot is there!

I wouldnt hesitate for a second at 100 yards with either my 22 Magnum or my 17HMR........As long as I had a nice head-on shot or a good chest shot!

Hope I helped!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hello,

I read Chief Daves post about the coyote shot @ 150.  Said it dropped in its tracks.  Why: shot placement.  I have not shot the .17 yet but I dont know if I would push 150 with it.  Your getting out there with a REALLY LITTLE bullet.  
Now not that the .22wmr is much better, but I think I would have a little less on my mind if I was using a 22wmr @ over a 100.  
My suggestion is to go with the a .22wmr, this is becuase I have only shot the .22.  You should ask Chief Daves opinion becuase he has actually shot a decent amount of both calibers.  That more than most of us can say.

Just my .02 worth.

Dean_311

·
Registered
955 Posts
Not to be smart, but take your hearing protection with you also.  Varmint shooting is frequently high volume shooting - not good at all for the ears.  I find that I rely more on my eyes than my ears for it anyway.  Deer or turkey hunting is a different matter - lots of listening and only one or two gunshots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.