Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Coyotes vs .17 hmr

3594 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  shrpshot44
I was wondering if a .17hmr could kill a coyote with a head, neck, or chest shot?

Also what would be the perfered ammo?

Lastly if any one has any pictures of a coyote shot with a .17 hmr that would be very helpful.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Yes, some of us do have strong feelings about this.

Will the .17 HMR kill a coyote with a head/chest/neck shot? Absolutely.

Will the .17 HMR kill a coyote RELIABLY (even most of the time?) with a head/chest/neck shot? Absolutely not.

Use enough gun.

Daryl

· Banned
4,250 Posts
I say if you can put the bullet on the head of a standing coyote, it will drop like a ton of bricks. Dead is dead. If you shoot one in the neck and hit the vertebrae, it will drop like a ton of bricks. If you shoot it behind the shoulder at a reasonable distance, its going to die. It may run for a little bit, but so do most deer that are hit in the same spot with high powered rifles. If a animal doesn't drop in its tracks every single time on a well place shot, does that mean you don't have enough gun? Nope! It means that reality is the way it is. There are better coyote calibers, but the 17HMR will kill them with a well placed shot. It's up to you to take and make that shot.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad

· Banned
4,250 Posts
This post came from Bucktail Bill on here.

Goto Top #1 07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Bucktail Bill

Picture of my group.....getting better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This evening, little to no wind, 100 yards at range off cheap bags. 5 shot group I would call it 5/8".......I guess. I am up to about 350 rounds through my rifle now. This was with the Hornady V-Max. I did most of my shooting at 200 tonight. Cleaning the bore every 15-20 rounds with a snake.........I don't know if that is good or bad for the gun ? It does help my groups. Savage 93R17-GV still using the factory trigger..........for awhile anyways. I have about 10" drop @ 200 with the XTP (much more than the V-Max). For you other .17HMR hunters here's a tip you may find usefull. With my rifle if I center the V-Max 1.5" - 1.7" high at 100 zero 150 which is nice for woodchucks etc. with that round and helps for the 200 yard shots........1 milldot, I find the .20 XTP to be about zero @ 100 which is nice for Coyote's at that range. BTW I shot a 2" x 4" at 100 yards tonight with both the V-Max and the XTP. The XTP went through it like butter and the V-Max zipped through it to but blew out the back a bit more. So I would not worry about a coyotes rib at 100 yards with the .17 hummer.............as some have questioned.
To all you real shooters ............thanks for your help, I am having fun.

Now I have not shot a 2x4 at that distance, but I don't think the guy is lieing.

Brad

· Registered
382 Posts
yes, if you get a well placed shot it most likely drop like a sack of hammers, but can you get a well placed shot in feild conditions? you have to remember that these sub inch groups are from a rest. if you can put 5-10 shots in a similar sized group sitting, or prone, as if you were actually shooting at a coyote, then you can shoot 'yotes with a .17 hmr, but i still wouldn't.

· Registered
52 Posts
You are the one that knows your shooting abilities best. I dont suggest that you use any rimfire on coyotes. Smallest I would go would be a 22 hornet, that being said yes you "could" kill an elk with a .223 but would you hunt an elk with it? I am by no means the person that has made every shot count perfectly there have been hundreds of times where I have had to use a second shot. I have also lost animals that I have hit, that is not a good feeling at all, if I am going to experiment with smaller calibers I will work my way down, not up. 17 HMR = Great crow, squirrel, rabbit, p-dog, and small animal rifle it was not however designed to take down larger animals. If you feel that in the crunch time you can shoot a coyote in the head go for it and post some pics!!! My favorite thing on earth is hunting coyotes however my coyote rifle is a browning 22-250, I am going to try to take one with a Glock 22 in .40 S&W on film later this year though. It is your choice

· Banned
4,250 Posts
running boar said:
Fellers, this is getting tired, we average one of these posts a week. With everyone firmly entrenched on one side or another, I am through discussing it, I am just going to start telling people to search the old posts, but just for old time sake, the 17 will kill a coyote under perfect conditions, hunting is not perfect conditions, therefore it is too small. Sturgell gave some very good advice, as I did on your last post, Shrpshot I suggested a very good coyote rig thats legal in your state. Chris
Why not just let people make their own **** choice and not worry about the matter. You use what you like and don't worry what the other people on here use. If they want to use a 17HMR like one fellow on here who has killed over 12 coyotes and hasn't lost one yet, let them. Those statistics there say it all.

Nobody appointed you the 17HMR hunting regulator master according to my MO hunting and regulations code book. Let people have that right to choose what they believe will work.

Brad

· Banned
4,250 Posts
Dead is dead. Those dead coyotes that are killed by a 17HMR with a well placed shot will tell you that if they could. :p

There are better choices than the 17HMR for coyotes.

A 22-250 will do the job a lot better.

A 25-06 will do the job better yet.

You can go on and on with this.

I don't think a 17HMR is a coyote round. I never claimed it to be. But they will kill a coyote on a well placed shot.

Brad

· Registered
485 Posts
If you go back a couple pages you will find two guy's that have posted and documented in detail about a dozen Coyote kill's each with the .17hmr at a average of 100 yards. In Southwestern NY State and many other counties where "shotgun only" rules apply for Deer you can not use center fires during any of the Deer seasons which takes up about half the Coyote season. Because of this many who I have spoke with have used the .17HMR during the first half of Coyote season. Those who I have spoke with are good shooters and hunters and have had the same results as was documented here on Rimfire Central by those two individuals at approx. the same yardage.
Around here with rolling hill's, woods, hay fields, acreage farms,etc. along with calling it is not un-common to get a 100 yard shot. From what I see out West in arid, dry, dessert type area's the range appears further.
Please also note those who are killing Coyotes with a 17 hummer and 22 mag rimfires are set up for the shot either sitting or prone usually with a pod making accurate shot placement at still targets. If you will be shooting off hand or at trotting Coyote's a .243 may be a better choice.
Around farms, cows, barns, semi-rural areas those who live there may appreciate you using the .17hmr or .22mag as I have found gaining access for woodchucks in smaller 40 - 60 acre fields.
I have done a great deal of research on this subject but, have not shot one to date. I have been woodchuck hunting with the 17 hummer. Because of this as far as the concern "accuracy off the bench as compared to real world field shooting". In my opinion all rifle hunters rim or center, should shoot at a range regularly. I have shot 100 rounds this week at the range my hunting distance off 100 and 200 yards, along with hunting woodchucks. To help with real world field shooting while at the range, shoot some groups off your pod rather than bags, shoot quicker..........put in on and pull........bang. Off bags helps me focus "tight" which helps me focus tight in the field like on the ear of a woodchuck. When using bags I just use the cheap left overs that are laying around. My groups open up a little off the pod at the range but it's still tight at 100.............200 is where they open more. For coyote's we are talking approx. 100 yard shots. On "field accuracy" again with the 17 hummer, the last two days I have shot 3 good sized woodchucks at 70 to 137 yards with the .17hmr, yesterday (2 of the 3) there was wind. Number one at 137 yards was shot from prone ( I use a pod) the head was quartered away and just above the cut hay. This left a head only shot, he was hit 1/2" below the ear, dropped tail up spun 360's (nerves from head shot) done, blood out both ears. # 2 from sitting with pod stood up above the hay presenting chest and body shot facing me, at exactly 100 yards where I am 1.5" high with V-Max, about dead with .20 grain. I shot him dead center of the neck. # 3 at 70 yards I could only see when standing because of a slight burm in the field and then it was just a neck / head shot that could be seen. From a sitting position I waited and timed as "she" came up for a few seconds then down. She popped up slightly to the right of wear I was anticipating but within swing distance of pod pod. Swung, stop, deep focus sharp pull (not allot of time) bang..........head shot, nerves started flopping, bouncing,flipping the chuck up in the air.............this was a quick shot. Practice pod shooting and quick but sure, shots at the range also. The range can only help.
It seems everyone on the net who has not shot a coyote with a .17hmr (including myself) looks at ballistics and has an opinion. I notice many don't even own or hunt with one period. The results documented by those that have on here, along with those I have spoke to in person, confirm to me that at approx. 100 yards I will shoot a coyote in the vitals from a pod and likely make a quick kill. Although most documentation was done with a V-Max load, personally I will use a .20 grain controlled expansion hollow point. In my oppion only both the .17 hmr and the .22 mag (there is soooo little difference between the two it's not worth arguing about) make a fine 100 yard coyote rifle, especially if use around acreage rolling hills farm land where 100 yard shots are common and some use a shot gun. If you know your rifle be it the 17 hummer or 22 mag I have little doubt that you can make a quick kill in the vitals at 150 yards. If you hunt vast open flat terrain where 200 yard shots or more are common, many coyote hunters use a .17 Rem, .204 .223, 22-250,.243. center fires.
What ever the rifle in relationship to the yardage personally I feel that getting to know it and improving accuracy by shooting at the range or targets in the field is necessary along with a some regular shooting at the same once familiar and shooting what you aim at to keep you there. Here we witness people buy a bore sighted rifle before deer season and take it "as is" to the field. I am lucky in that my best friend and shooting partner whom I met a few years ago was a military range instructor and has instilled to me the importance of range shooting for hunting purpose along with the use of milldot scopes.
Good luck..........sorry to rattle on.

· Banned
4,250 Posts
05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Blakeinator
Registered User Join Date: May 2005

Howdy RimfireCentral...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rimfire Central,

Came lookin for info on .17hmrs, specifically semi-auto, cheaper, and or, lighter than my current CZ Varmint .17hmr.

Didn't take long to find this post . Anyhow, i'm an avid coyote hunter and get after them as much as i can. I typically call for them and hunt with my Tikka T3 Lite in .243, but i also take many in what i call 'acreage country'. My parents have 26 acres in 'acreage country' that routinely has coyote trouble. We used to take em inside 50 yrds with the .22lr, one of my biggest came that way btw...a 38 lb male with a double tap from Dad's old Winchester Model 63 with CCI Stingers, one low just behind front leg and one in the neck. That coyote did a 50 yrd runner before piling up.

Well we've put a bunch more of em down since i got the .17 hmr as the range has been extended and my calling skills have improved.

Before anyone gets worked up...i call this round a 'niche' round for coyote 'pest' control...in an area not condusive to centerfire due to proximity of neighbors etc. Not really a 'hunting' round imo. And it kills them just fine if you know what your limits are...and the rounds limits. I only shoot them standing still and i always go for the largest vitals area(lungs/heart)...because it is the biggest and most reliable kill zone. I do a lot of bowhunting and thats the name of the game. I hit one coyote in the jaw with a .22 going for a head hit and had i gone for lungs he would prolly have been dead within 50 yrds. I'd rather them do a 30-50 yrd runner and die than go for the instant glory and screw it up, but thats me.

So far i'm 100 % on them. The've all been shot between 43(monday night) and 110ish yrds. About half of them have been bang flops, the rest are usually 30 yrd runners with the longest runners not getting further than 50 yrds. I use the .17 grain hornady ammo btw. So now i will describe the performance i've experienced.

First coyote my gun killed was when my buddy bought the gun and he shot one in the liver at approx. 90 yrds, it ran 60 and laid down and died slower than one would like but it was recoverable in a few minutes. I later bought the gun from him and i've had nothing but essentially instant kills...if you call a double lung with runner and instant kill...i do...well maybe its should be more like 'reliable' kills instead. Anyhow, i'll go on...

My first was a 31 lb mature female at 80-90 yrds facing me, i hit her in the neck and all the legs just kicked out and she landed on her bum and fell over(the mate of the 38 lb male i shot with the .22 earlier). Second one, same day btw, was about 100 yrds broadside, perfect behind the shoulder, centered up and down on torso about 3" back from leg. Coyote was on a side hill opposite me and was on his back biting side to side and slid 10' down the hill done. No exit on either. The broadside one was about a 28 lb 2 yr old male and just a pin prick entrance wound and on the opposite side just under the hide was about a 4-5" circle of black jelly, no exit. So his vitals were destroyed about as perfect as can be. I shot another younger dog from an elevated position and placed it somewhat between the shoulderblades but just up a bit towards the neck and it was a bang flop into the ground with the tail spinning. No exit. There's more...

I shot another at 90 yrds quartering away, splashed a bit on the rib opening up an 1 1/2" entrance but still went up into the lungs, that one did about a 50 yrd runner tops, no exit.

I took my girlfriend with me on good friday this year and called in a whopper male, had to be 40 lbs, to 60 yrds and sat down facing me. I center chest shot him and he let out a beller but it faded almost immediatley because he had no lungs, he made it 30 yrds, no exit obviously. Next stand a mile away brought in a pup to 50 yrds where i barked to stop it for the broadside shot, pin prick in and there was sign of a pin prick exit also, coyote did a 30-40 yrd runner. See pics of them both coming up.

Then on monday night this week i called another nice male into about 30 yrds turned and he stopped broadside at 43 yrds to take a double lung and he had an exit on the other side a little bigger than the entrance, he did a 50 yrd runner. Biggest exit i've had has been on the closest coyote on a double lung...and this was no small dog, you'll see. Pics of him coming up too.

All of this done with .17 grain hornady ammo btw, so thought yall would find some of this info useful, and or, interesting? I agree with the guy on 75-125 in the ribcage and getting reliable penetration/expansion etc. and my evidence is showing exits the once the start getting it 50 yrds or less on broadside double lungs. Okay, here come the pics...we'll see how many i can fit in one post i suppose.

Here is the big male from good friday, 40 lb estimate, wait till you see his ole choppers
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/90486757.jpg

Here's his choppers
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/90486957.jpg

Here is the little pup i called just after him
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/90487375.jpg

Here is the nice male i called on monday
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/95254772.jpg

Here he is again, me setting camera on back of truck using the timer, second try...i smiled this time, ha.
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/95254889.jpg

I figure him to be about 3 yrs old ish? His choppers are wearing but nothing like the big boy above
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL32...11/95254986.jpg

For the record, i no way intend to start any trouble, just presenting my experience with .17 hmr as a 'niche' 'pest' round for 'acreage' country.

Blake

Currently i'd like to get a lighter, maybe semi-auto and put a red dot such as an eotech for this purpose. I could almost do this with a shotgun but the noise factor and the fact i like to be able to go 100 plus yrds make the .17 hmr still the number one choice for this niche. I don't shoot ground squirrel much anymore with .17hmr because its too expensive so i don't need a reticle to place finely on a tiny rat at 100 yrds etc. A quick handling semi auto with a red dot that's still reasonably accurate for .17 hmr standards(which are high) would prolly fit the bill better i'm thinkin. I'll be searching that out shortly as that's kinda why i joined up.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93793&highlight=coyotes+17HMR

You will have to click the link above to see the pictures. Go to page 2.

Brad

· Registered
485 Posts
running boar said:
Bucktail, please post your results, I am beginning to believe, after so many people telling me I am wrong, that my 10 years of coyote hunting experience is atypical and I have had the misfortune to shoot abnormally resilient coyotes. I would love to see some actual pictures of 17 hmr killed coyotes with close ups of wounds and terminal damage, with data of range, postion and how far the coyote ran when hit. Lets do this scientificly and once and for all put it to rest, if the moderators do not want graphic pictures on the site feel free to PM or I will give you my email addy. Good luck, Chris
Running Boar,
With all do respect because I know yourself and AZ Drifter are avid coyote hunters and I can appreciate that and enjoy your knowledge.

It has already been posted and well documented on here with picture's. It appears Brad ;) has already retreived some and posted. Come this fall I may tap into yours and AZ Drifters on calling, currently I am hunting woodchucks and just practicing my coyote talk to the wife & kids strange looks.

The point I was trying to make was regardless of the rifle..........range shooting only helps make one a better hunter and gets one familar with the rifle. God, knows there are to many in the woods & fields that are not familar with what they hold.

I have to go find some woodchucks now :t Have a good one and enjoy the outdoors.

· Banned
4,250 Posts
The point is this guys. The 17HMR is not a true all around coyote thumper like the centerfires. But any bullet that shoots over 2500fps from the muzzle has the force to kill coyote size game at reasonable distances of around 100yds even if the bullet is only 17grs. Shot placement is the true key to killing any animal, not knock down power or foot lbs. Sure you want both. The 17gr. or 20gr. bullets due to their small size make it even more essential to place the bullet in the right spot and take appropriate shots. The results will be a dead coyote if you do that each and every time. When in doubt, wait for a better shot.

Brad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.