Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96-22m seems to like the CCI maxi-MagV and the Remington premier 33gr V-Max's. Both have dropped coyotes for me under 100yrds, but what do you guys prefer to use?......I've yet to get the shot to see what a V-Max will do if placed into the neck of a yote, and I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me whether it'll drop them quick, or whether they go for a quick lope before lyin down to die.....Thanks!! :cool: :t

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my world, coyotes don't often pose, enabling me to pick the "perfect" shot.

I am hesitant to use a rimfire on them, because I run into tough ones on occasion.

For coyotes I normally rely on my 17 Rem centerfire, and if in centerfire restricted areas, I'll opt for my shotgun before using a rimfire for coyotes.

The coyote never ceases to amaze me for toughness.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have used

Rem Premiers in my marlin 22 wmr on coyotes, and it worked fine, 150 yards. I want to try the 50 grain bullets but think they might slow to much at 100+. Stick with stuff that is fast and good shots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
supremes

I personally prefer winchester supremes. If these group good out of ur gun I would use them. They are awesome on everything from coyotes on down. I've shot 7 coyotes with the .22 mag and all 7 went down right away, all 7 were shot with supremes from 40 - 113 yd. I love this round for all varmints. It's awesome on foxes too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shots

I'm hitting in the lung area. One of the shots was a neck shot. I haven't had one go more then a step yet but I'm sure it will happen. I have a friend who I hunt with who uses a .243 and he has had a few go about 100 yds. But this is after he has been hunting them for 7 years. I'm sure if you don't get them in the exact right spot you'll have a few run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually use a winchester supremeor a cci+v and it drops them quick through the lungs. I also shot one through the head with a cci 40 grain fmj. in one ear and out other and it just collapsed. But I wouldn't recomend a fmj for coyotes it was just that I came arossed one while squirel hunting.:t :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Federal 50 grain gold dot rounds has to be the best round to use on coyotes if you have to use a 22mag. The problem with the lighter rounds is that you won't always get sufficient penetration. The 50 grain Federals should give the maximum penetration.

When using a .243 for coyotes try the Winchester rounds with 55 grain ballistic tip. These shoot extremely flat and are dead on coyotes out to over 350 yards. They are varmint rounds so will explode when they hit the coyote and carry 500+ fps at 350 yards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.