Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Coyote How To's?

661 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  varmastr
I am purchasing a new rifle here soon, and I have always wanted to go coyote hunting. My only problem is that I don't know how to do it. When I worked for the local hunting shop they sold tons of stuff for coyotes, predator calls, and squeals, and all sorts of stuff. Then I talk to some experienced hunters who never hunt coyote but think they know how to, and they say just dump some rabbit carcases on the ground.

So I would like to know your tactics for hunting them? Should I spend the money on the tape loudspeaker predator calls? Or will a squeal type be enough. I have seen many a coyote while bowhunting for deer, but they are normally tucking tail and cruising through the woods. I am in West Michigan if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Those are all very good forums that will help you learn the basics of yote hunting.....Beware of the coyotegods sight if you think about posting anything.....Over there, if you dont shoot the 17remington you will be called down and insulted, and looked upon as a bad person.....Especially if you use rimfire!!!....Screw them!!!...I use a .22mag and it does the job just fine thank you......Mind you, I'm not taking 200 yard shots, but calling a yote in close enough to do the job with rimfire just makes you that much more of a hunter, and less of a sniper....As far as calls, if you can afford the digital or electronic callers, go for it!!....I'm a little handicapped by the legality of electronic calls in my area and get by just fine with a screery AP6 VariPitch mouth call....Came with a video which was also very helpfull......Another site you may want to try is coyotecanada.ca its not specific to hunting Canadian coyotes :p :D They have some very helpful sections on stand selection and recognizing where you will find coyotes......I ran into the guy who runs the site, apparently he has permission on my favorite peice of yote huntin land, so I gotta be good to him or he'll definately hunt me out of dogs up there......sorta like I did to him in the groundhog department on that land.......Anyways, hope this helps and let us all know how you make out! :cool: :t

· Registered
473 Posts
coyote calling is like learning to golf from a book. just do it.... Besides, there is no 'wrong' way to call a coyote, different coys respond in different ways. wind in your face, sneak in, squealing too quiet is better than to loud...good luck.
Dogtagger, this is one of the only sites around that doesnt flame a guy for rimfiring a coyote. Ive thumped 12 coyotes this past winter with the 17hmr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.