Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just built my first 10/22 and it shoots .5 at 50 yards. i am wondering if any of you have used a 22lr to hunt song dogs? i have been hunting for years and know it is very light but if i take only good shots 50 yards or under will a 22 do the trick. i know it is ill advised but where i hunt is farm land and very flat so follow up shots are almost always an option. do you think i should bring my 30-06 with me for back up or follow up shots if i do hunt with a 22? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Blasting_ :Blasting_ :Blasting_

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know that most people think that the .22lr is way to underpowered to hunt yotes with but if you keep to head or upper neck shots and under 75 yards then you should be okay. Back when hides commanded a premo price my j.c higgins single shot and I made more money in one year than I did on my job. Besides the .22 is cheaper to shoot less painful that the good ole 06 and over penetration is not a major factor, noise is easy to deal with for the folks in the area. Just a few things to look at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To quote Ted Nugent:

You OWE it to your prey to take it down in one shot!

For coyotes, I'd say .223 minimum. They aren't the fattest of animals usually, so use a round that either has the velocity to fragment (you won't be eating it) or dump all of its energy in the animal (rather than leaving a .22 cal hole straight through).

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
A clean head shot from a .22lr at close range will put a yote down. My brother traps them first then uses a .22lr to finish them off. Works every time.

Body shots OTOH are a NONO. ONLY head shots.

swampf0x

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
.22 lr for coyotes

The .22lr is a great round for wounding coyotes. After shooting a couple coyotes with a .22lr, I can say that the .22lr is only good for a dispatch round on trapped coyotes. Under normal hunting situations it is too difficult to consistantly place your shot where needed for a quick kill with a .22lr. A .22lr will kill a coyote. It will also kill moose, deer, elk, bear, and wild pigs but I hope none would consider using it for that purpose. As far as I know the .22lr is illegal to use for large game hunting. Coyote hunting usually doesn't have very much in the way of restrictions as far caliber. IMHO hunting coyotes with a .22lr is a bad choice.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
range and shot placement

It really does depend on how far away you are. The effective range of the 22LR and the ability to get a head shot is dependant on the bullet, the rifle, and the shooter.

I have never had to take a shot over 50 yards at a coyote. They always seem to come in close enough if I am patient. At that range I have also been able to get a fatal head shot every time.

Beyond that range I am not sure I would recommend the 22LR. A 223/5.56 is a real varmint gun in my opinion and the range is far superior to the 22LR. It will provide a lethal would at much greater distances. Again, this does depend on the bullet, the rifle, and the shooter.

Although I have only gone after coyotes on purpose a handful of times, I have no problem with the 22LR at short distances. In my experience is has provided very humane dispatches on at least a dozen occassions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am poor and have three rifles- a 300 win mag for elk and mule deer, 30-06 for evrything, and the good ole 22 for small stuff. i shot coyotes with both the 300 and 30-06 and WOW it puts a big hole! i have seen coyotes shot with 22 mags and it works fine out to 50 yards so thought i would try a long rifle. trying to keep as few rifles as possible so i dont go bankrupt. 223 is a great round and farily inexpensive but dont have 300 to 500 for a good bolt and 150 for another scope. given my circumstances what would you do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its just me....

I would go to Wally World (if not in PRK) and ask for the special order catalog and order a NEF Handi Rifle chambered in .22 Hornet, .223 Rem, .22-250, or .204 Ruger ($187 ea) and your choice of scopes. But thats just me

kjeff22cal

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Get a savage kit gun, or maybe a single shot nef. Both are fairly cheap. heck get a cheap 12 guage and use slugs. I'd say no-no to the .22lr. Seems to me you could use a single shot nef in .243, and if at the .22lr ranges you just need open sights.

I'd use the 30-06 .22lr's shouldnt be used on critters that large unless they are trapped.

Possibly look at some used gun racks and see what you can find, and the next question would be if you are concerned about the hide or not. If not i would just use the 30-06. All the centerfires are going to make a bunch of noise, the .22 mag is a very questionable caliber for coyotes, the shotgun cuts back on passthrough and backstop worrys with the option of buckshot, and slugs don't travel far either. You see lots of pump shotguns on used racks in pretty good shape fairly cheap, rem 870's and mossburg 500's are good guns.

Maybe put this in the hunting section and you will get more replies from hunters, this seems like the wrong forum.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Convert your 10/22 into a 10/22 magnum. It's still a small caliber but better than a .22lr.

I'd still recommend shots under 50 yrds and if at all possible take head/neck shots or broad side heart/lung shots if you can't get a head/neck shot.

I don't worry too much about quick humane kills on yotes. After all they are vermin and I could care less if they suffer a little. Larger game is a completely different story though. If I don't believe I can drop it within 20 yrds I don't shoot.

JMHO
swampf0x

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Ted Nugent

I agree with the "owe it to the prey to take it down with one shot," but I think that applies to game animals-potential meat. I am not sure if I would put such a high adherence to the "Nugent Law" when it comes to song dogs.

I used to work animal control for a while on an Indian Reservation. I have killed many ferrel dogs and even a few rabid ones as well. I know what they are capable of alone or in packs. In fact much of the yote shots I had were on the back drop of recently destroyed canines.

I have used everything from shotgun to pistol to rifle for both dogs and coyotes.

Honestly, if the distance is close enough, I think the best suited round is the 22LR, although if it is a pack I am grabbing the scattergun.

I should preface that however with one small caveat: on the job we had to fill out federal paperwork for any expended duty rounds. That included 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP, 5.56mm and 12 guage. It did not, however, include 22LR.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
For the 30-06.....

Get some Remington Accelerators. It's a 55 grain/.22 caliber saboted spitzer that comes out the muzzle at about 4,000 fps. Just like using a .22-250! I used them for a while a few years back on groundhogs before I decided to trade the '06 for a .243.

·
Registered
79 Posts
.22lr on a coyote? You are crazy. A .22lr can take down a cow if you shoot it right behind the ear. It can also take down sow's if you shoot them right behind the ear. But trying to shoot a coyote behind the ear while it's on the move or 50 yards out is like trying to put a bowling ball through a garden hose. It just ain't gonna work. Get a .223.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.