Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you been to the coyotegods.com? I posted if any of them had used a 30-06 or other 30 cal. to dispatch coyotes, since I usually carry my 10/22 or my -06. I went back and the post had been removed, and I cannot post their anymore. They use the term god pretty loosely. It's no wonder they don't have many posts!!! Thank god I have some other great forums to go to, to ask as many questions as I want!!!

Just wanted to vent some frustration.:D

AXEL

·
Registered
85 Posts
AXEL, I used to go there, but I left for similar reasons. It seems that you MUST: 1) use ONLY a 17 Rem. for coyotes, anything else in totally unacceptable, 2) it is ONLY called a coyote, not a song dog, yodel dog, or any other name, 3) you must hunt ONLY at certain times deemed proper by the head [email protected]**. Baloney!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hmm there is a familiar name on that site that I also had problems with. He seems to think he knows everything about firearms and ammunition. He thinks bigger is always better. Sounds like a little insecurity problem to me. I see his name around on alot of forums(not RFC) Apparently he thinks he is some kind of god too. He was very rude and when the heat was put on him he changed his post to cover his tracks and did not appologize for his conduct. In fact he more or less told me that he was the boss/moderator and it was too bad for me. Oh well. Actually it was a good thing because my next stop was here. The little bullet people know how to have more fun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
rfc members (shooters) are the few sites who understand both the strengths and weaknesses of the rimfire cartridge. Ive discontinued travelling to those sites (marlin, too) for the same reason.
A 30-06 is an classic round.
I have to ask, would your gun kill a human, then chances are great that it will kill a coyote.
AXEL, from me to you...trust yourself, know your round, know your quarry. success will follow.
walk quiet, call long, sit long, shoot straight . varmastr

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bigger is certianly not always better, but I most deffinatly would not look down on you for bringing along an 06' for reasons of choice or neccesity.... when I started hunting on my own years ago it was with a 6.5X55 Swedish mauser made in 1905 that I lovingly restored and sporterized... I handloaded for it acording to the game I was after. I still love that rifle.

If your confident with the 06' use it. I feel much better with you in the field using that than alot of the people taking looong shots at the songdogs with rimfires.

The 17 Remmy is a fine round for yotes, but so are plenty of others....

Oh yea, I'm not pheasant hunting with you this year, because I carry a over-under and your using a pump. get some style ;)

kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah they don't like rimfires.

I tolda little story of me shooting three coyotes with three shots with a mag and suprems and they just made a bunch of stuppid coments about me rimfires being an over powers pellet gun.

·
Registered
458 Posts
AXEL said:
Have any of you been to the coyotegods.com? I posted if any of them had used a 30-06 or other 30 cal. to dispatch coyotes, since I usually carry my 10/22 or my -06. I went back and the post had been removed, and I cannot post their anymore. They use the term god pretty loosely. It's no wonder they don't have many posts!!! Thank god I have some other great forums to go to, to ask as many questions as I want!!!

Just wanted to vent some frustration.:D

AXEL
The two guys that own the Coyote Gods forum are Varmint Callers and pelt hunters almost exclusively. They are more than a little elitist in their approach to Coyote hunting. In their eyes, and from their frame of reference, you committed a major social faux pax.

Like most older Westener hunters they dislike cutsie-pie nicknames for animals. I myself dislike the words yote, yodel dog and song dog. Cutsie-Pie nicknames usually come from novice hunters, and these guys have years, and years of hunting experience behind them.

The 17 Remington (not Remmy) properly placed in the animal, does not spoil the pelt. A prime coyote pelt, according to a friend of mine who is a trapper and hunter on the Colville Indian Reservation in Washington State, can go for around $150.00 - $250.00 at times. This friend, a member of the Wenatchee Indian tribe, and former Reservation game warden, has sold prime Bobcat pelts for as high as $450.00. Good Cougar pelts go higher.

A .30-06 just blows the Coyote up, spoiling the pelt, and that bugs the hell out of John Henry and his friends.

Also, hunting Coyotes, in the time of the year, when their pelt is not at it's prime, is another social faux pax. Hunting Coyotes when they're raising their cubs, would be a serious social faux pax.

The last two years Mange has been a real problem with coyote pelts, and has caused the price of pelts to rise. The European fashion houses are again featuring furs, causing the demand to rise.

These guys, John Henry and his friend, are purists and elitists to the Nth degree. That, in itself, irritates me no little amount too. But, it's their forum, and they get to make the rules, because it's theirs. Did you read the story they posted before you started to post on their forum? Try reading their stories and you might understand them a little better.

They want to attract purist pelt hunters and elitists like themselves, not just casual blasters, or shoot-em and leave-em-lay slob hunters.

If you would have carefully read the various things John Henry has written, you would have seen several paragraphs about his distaste for those whom blow the animals up, and for those whom leave the animal lay.

Hunters and Trappers in Western Montana, Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington are a clannish bunch and it is hard to break into their circle. John Henry and his friends are clannish in the same way. Trappers and hunters respect their quarry, and only take the animal under certain conditions.

Your .30-06 question branded you as a rank outsider and as such you got snubbed. Cheer up, You will live to get you feelings back in order. You will have to learn how to understand other people whom have a different frame of reference than yours, if you want to get along with them. If I don't like a person, I don't really care whether I get along with them or not. I am getting grouchy in my old age.

My friend, the former game warden, and I were in the same highschool class. On August 30 he is conducting a snare trapping seminar at a black powder Rendezvous near Bonners Ferry, Idaho. I am driving up for that. That way, with his help, I will get in on solid footing with these clannish people, when I move back there.

I didn't see where you were from, but my guess is that you aren't a native (as in, born in the west) westerner.

None of what I have written is intended as a flame at you. Have you heard the phrase: When in Rome, do things as the Romans do? In your case Rome, was the Coyote Gods forum.

Bill :cool:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have to agree with heliflyer,it's their site and they pay for the bandwidth.To the coyotegods purist mentality a predator hunter should use a predator rifle.It has been decided to be a 17-centerfire-period. It does make for better reading when things are called by their real name in my opinion.
I fished in big game fishing[marlin,tuna wahoo dolphin] tournaments for two years and would have people tell me about the huge yellowbelly crapsucker they caught.I always asked-oh yeah how long did it take you to get him in?You still dont have to act like some at gods do.When in Rome...MWE

·
Registered
574 Posts
sorry Bill, I had no intention to offend,

around here, the coyotes are looked as nothing but problems to the ranchers durring the lambing season... there's many a time driving the back dirt roads you'll see a skin stretched on crossed sticks in a field. nothing but a warning to the other coyotes. thier pelts aren't valued. my only wish is that they be put down humainly and quickly... if this be with a 17 remington a 220 swift or a 30/06 whatever the person behind the trigger needs to make him or her confident to make a clean shot.

Kevin

·
Registered
364 Posts
CB since toy seem to have taken some comment so personally recently consider some facts. Your interruption, was of a person asking whether a 22 wmr was acceptable for deer[sic]. The facts are it's not regardless of some bureaucrats decision, and it was inane of you to bring up (fact) that bows kill deer very cleanly with a good shot. Why don't you go prove to all that the the 22 mag is a fine deer killing machine with say two sequential kills taped(mind you the typical hunting show ALWAYS edits small caliber kills because they don't kill cleanly if that's where you think you know they kill.) We're not talking about killing critters in controlled circumstances, (ie. using the 22 short as my family done for many years on our farm for cattle.)

Imagine that the picture works, everytime...Proper equipment

·
Registered
458 Posts
kevin said:
sorry Bill, I had no intention to offend,

around here, the coyotes are looked as nothing but problems to the ranchers durring the lambing season... there's many a time driving the back dirt roads you'll see a skin stretched on crossed sticks in a field. nothing but a warning to the other coyotes. thier pelts aren't valued. my only wish is that they be put down humainly and quickly... if this be with a 17 remington a 220 swift or a 30/06 whatever the person behind the trigger needs to make him or her confident to make a clean shot.

Kevin
Kevin:
This is a different scenario, which John Henry has also commented on. If you were doing predator control for a rancher or farmer, some states require that the carcass be left laying.

When your doing predator control, during lambing season, it is at the time of year when the pelt is in poor condition.

When your excersing the duty of predtor control all elitist hunting ideas are left at home, and you do the job that as required, with what ever you have to do the job with. In predator control the object is to put down the predating animal, in the quickest and most humane way possible whether it be 17 Remington or 50BMG.

You might be interested in this website:

http://texnat.tamu.edu/ranchref/predator/pred.htm

This website will give you an indication of how vicious the coyote can be, as a predator. However, as vicious a predator as the Coyote is, man is a much more predacious creature.

No offense taken with your post. In fact since reading your last post, my opinion of you has risen quiet a few notches. That is if this old dudes opinion every really means much.

If I were to meet John Henry, I might take issue with his misplaced elitism quiet strongly. In fact I would make a big issue about his using Jack Russell Terriers to hunt Coyotes with. He even showed a picture where the Jack Russell was bitten and was bleeding. That did not set too well with me. There is no way the a Jack Russell, as gutty as they are, is a match for a Coyote in a fight. In fact two or three might not be a match for the coyote.

My late, and greatly missed, 80 pound Pitbull used to relish going one-on-one with a Coyote. There wasn't too much that could be used of the Coyote when he was finished.

Incidentially, yor comment about the over and under and the pump shotgun was funny. :t

Let me know what you think of the website I posted.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Anytime I first visit a forum the first thing I do is check out the rules of the board, if I can not go by the posted rules I just leave the site. Regardless of what is thought about the personalities of the hunters that run the Coyote Gods, the information there is the best available on serious hunting of coyotes. Besides anyone using Airedales for their hunting dogs of choice can't be too bad.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Airedale said:
Anytime I first visit a forum the first thing I do is check out the rules of the board, if I can not go by the posted rules I just leave the site. :t
Airdale:
I think that policy should be used all over the Internet.

Regardless of what is thought about the personalities of the hunters that run the Coyote Gods, the information there is the best available on serious hunting of coyotes. :t
The information on the Coyotegods website is the best I have ever read myself.

Besides anyone using Airedales for their hunting dogs of choice can't be too bad. :t
If I didn't like Pitbulls so much, and Airdale is what I would own.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Bill I understand your attraction to the PitBulls, my son has raised them for years and although they are not for everyone I think they are nice dogs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pitbulls ...

Airdale:
Your right, Pitbulls are not for every body. First of all, you have to be smarter than the dog. He, he, he. :D I just could not resist saying that.

I fellow once asked me how I was able to train my dog so well. I replied: "Well, first you have to be smarter than the dog." He was not very happy with the remark. He was not real happy with my laughing either. Some people have no sense of humor ... :p

Pitbulls are stubborn and hardheaded. But, if you will spend an hour, to an hour and a half a day, training them then, they do real well.

When you do spend good quality time with the dog, it is amazing how the animal will respond to you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bill,

Your right there is a big difference in the two situations, sometimes I tend to blurr the lines.

I look forward to talking on other subjects in the future.

thanks for the web address I'll deffinatly take a look!

Kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.