Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my GM Barrel(ss fluted .920) along with a boyds smart stock(pepper).

Went to check if the barrel is floated. Then I noticed that the barrel is not centered in the channel(sits to the left) that's the only place its touching.

So my first question is, is there a way to center it or should I start sanding?

second the magazine refuses to pop out when I release it(like its stuck) it doesn't do this outside the stock. Do I need to sand out the stock there also?

other than that I like the setup so far. Looks sharp. Haven't dropped the scope on yet but should look good.

Next up is membership so I can post pics.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Magazine Must Float

PCDreams,
Second the magazine refuses to pop out when I release it (like its stuck); it doesn't do this outside the stock. Do I need to sand out the stock there also?
Yes, the magazine must float in its well in the receiver...! ! :)

Any contact with the stock will cause feeding problems, shaved bullets, etc. ...! ! :(

You should be able to pass a business card on either side of the magazine all the way to the bottom of the receiver...! ! ;)

Good Luck...! ! :)

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
I'd guess the chances are fairly strong that if you get the magazine well clearance right, it will probably let the barrel center itself. I Think you might find one problem is causing both situations. I'd take it apart and slip it back together a few time to see if you can see where the problem lies.

Ron

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brick wall

well I sanded and the magazine goes in/out correctly now. something I noticed though. Doesn't matter how much sanding I do there is always more space on the bolt side than on the other. I can slide the business card on the bolt side(in fact I can double the card and it will go) but can't even get close on the other.

The problem with the barrel remains(still sitting against the left side of the channel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All Right!!!!

magazine is now working correctly, And after much sanding of the barrel channel, it is free floating.

Think I'm going to have to bed the action though. Its got some wabble. Going to try the VQ bedding first though and see how that works. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.