Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first of all, i'm new to the forums, so hello to all, heh. I live in Wisconsin and currently only have two rimfire rifles, though i may soon expand on the collection. I have a Ruger 10/22 that was my grandpa's, so i don't do much to it, it's there just for sentimental value. My other rimfire rifle is my Remington 572 pump. I know it's not Anschutz, but let me explain the situation.

Ok, i've had my 572 for about 5 years, it hasn't really been used until the last year or two. The gun has a tasco 2-7x scope on it, again, not a schmidt and bender, but it used to work. So, i started shooting this rifle for accuracy. I fire from the prone position and use a sandbag for support. I shoot at about 75 yards, and the gun used to pretty consistently group about an inch with a variety of ammo. The scope was working well, the click adjustments would yield consistent results, everything was working the way it was supposed to.

All of a sudden the gun started shooting crappy, i figured, hey, maybe it needs to be cleaned. So i cleaned it, VERY thoroughly. Thought it was all good, but i went to shoot, it was still shooting crappy. I'm talking grouping maybe 6 inches opposed to the inch it used to group. Then i read that after a barrel is cleaned, sometimes you need to run some rounds through it before it will get back to shooting well. Well, i ran about 100 rounds of normal lead rounds through it, didn't work. I tried some of the Eley stuff, still shot like crap with it.

Then i read that sometimes after you clean a gun very well and get all of the copper out of it, you need to shoot some copper rounds through it to get it back to shooting well. Well i bought some Federal Copper Plated ammo, ran 50 through it, still shoots crappy.

So basically i have no idea what to do now. The gun has never been abused, it's basically in brand new condition. People see it and can't believe it's ever been shot. I didn't drop it or anything from when it shot well to shooting crappy. I know i shoudln't expect too much from the rifle, but it was shooting so well for a long time and all of a sudden it stopped, so i think i should expect it to get back to doing well again. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Alright, now on to my second question. With my Remington 572 shooting crappy, i'm thinking of buying a new rimfire to replace it(i don't just shoot paper, we have skunk, raccoon and opossum problems here too). I love quality stuff and usually i only settle for the best, but i'm not exactly rich. I was thinking of getting an Anschutz in .17 hmr. But, i looked at the Anschutz catalogue and it looked like all their .17 hmr's had single stage triggers. So basically what i'm asking is, can any of you recommend a top quality(anshutz, cooper, etc) .17 hmr rifle with a good two stage trigger. I will be shooting paper and varmints. Try to keep it under $1,000 maybe, nothing too outrageous, heh.

Thanks, i know this is a VERY long post, heh, but i am in need of some good help. All the gun shops around here are run by hicks that don't know jack about high quality and high accuracy. Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The next thing

I would check on your 572 is to make sure the scope mounts are tight and not shifting. If they are ok, I would take the scope off and try with iron sights or put a scope of known quality on to see if this solves the problem. I strongly suspect that your problem is in the scope or the mounting system. Six inch groups at 75 yds. is too much variation for it to be much else. It might help the guys here to diagnose your problem if you told us what the groups look like. Are they stringers? Horizontal? Vertical? Diagonal? Widely separated mini-groups? Shotgun pattern? The nature of your groups could provide a clue as to the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are anything and everything. I can't adjust the scope cuz the groups are so varied. One shot will be 3 inches high and at 12 o'clock, next shot like 4 inches from center at 4 o'clock. I don't have a scanner so i can't scan and post a pic. I would say they have the "shotgun" pattern. I don't know if it's the scope or not, the stupid gunsmith that installed the rings and scope(i was about 10 when i got the rifle) stripped one of the screws. I will definitely try tighting and/or remounting though. Thanks very much for your reply, i've been refreshing every 30 seconds for the past 10 minutes hoping someone would reply, lol. Any other ideas would be great too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I have to agree with Klof. Take the scope off and shoot open sight. Not trying to get a big argument going, but you are overlooking the most obvious place to start. Good Luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
572 shooting eratic

I don't have a 572, but I vaguely remember seeing something about a bolt or screw on the under-side,(maybe) that causes the rails to bind slightly. Try searching the Remington forum down below.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry, Rocky, but the search function is dis-abled. I will look some other places to see what I can find, but the first thing I'd check is the screws or bolts. They have to be tight enough, but not too tight. Hope I'm remembering this correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from taking scope off and remounting, still shot bad. I could take scope off and use iron sights...but i wouldn't be able to see the bullseye from 75 yards. And no, it's not my shooting technique since i do the same thing every time and before i could group an inch, now it's 6 inches. And i checked the remington forum for anything to do with a 572 and i found nothing. I just measured my groups, one 3 shot group at 4 inches, one 3 shot group at 3 inches, and one 3 shot group at 6 inches. As you can see, the accuracy varies wildly, but never really gets close to what it was before. I had to come inside cuz it's getting dark tonight, tomorrow maybe i'll try shooting with iron sights, but i won't be able to see the bullseye. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I've almost given up on this gun, so how about any recommendations on a top quality .17hmr with a good two stage trigger? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't have a target type crown. I've checked it and i don't see anything unusual like a scratch or a chip or anything. I don't know what i should really look for though. What should i look for at the muzzle?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I must agree with Klof, Since you checked the mounts and rings and they're all tight, I'd try a different scope.
Some lots of ammo are better than others, irregardless of the brand. If the poor groups started about the time you bought a new box, I'd try a different brand of ammo.
Some lots of Eley shoots well in my 22's and other lots don't :(
My first impression is still that the scope took a dump on you.
Concerning a good replacement rifle, Check out the CZ's They are some GREAT rifles for the $$$ :D
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try it with iron sights and then with the scope, if it groups with the iron sights and not with the scope you most likely have a barrel that is lose in the action. Couple of Remington's autos and pumps were bad for this. Not much you can do for them. Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check and make sure that the crown is smooth and even as you just did. Also you should be able to see the lands and grooves if you look closely. Sometimes a little rust at the end of the tube can do wierd things. If all looks OK there, I'd yank the scope as Klof suggested and beg, borrow or steal one that you know works and try it . Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, thank you very much everyone! I think maybe it is the scope that went out cuz it started shooting crappy with the same type of ammo that it was shooting well with. The scope is definitely not a high quality one, heh, but it was doing it's job. If i get some good glass i'm gonna get a better rifle to go with it! Tomorrow when it's light out i'm gonna take off the scope and see what i can do with iron sights, maybe i'll make a target with a bigger bullseye.

And about the crown...well it's really really weird. I didn't do this to it, but it has raised lines extending from the center to the outer edge at like the same place that the lands would be in the barrel. They are colored the same as the rest of the barrel and they seem to be made from the same material as the barrel like it was made with those.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You don't need to be at 75 yards to check grouping with iron sights. Move your target in to about 25 yds and experiment with different size black circles until you find what you can see best.

I tend to agree with guys suspecting scope problems whenever a decent shooting gun suddenly stops grouping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.