Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cost to Drill & Tap for scope mounts?

12540 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  nemohunter
What's a fair price? I'm not trying to be "cheap" at all, but the recommended gunsmith I was referred too, said he charges $25 per hole, and that there's usually 3 or 4 holes needed for the mounts. So we're talking $75-$100 without the mounts or the scope.

I just picked up a BEAUTIFUL condition Remington 512-P for only $95 total, and I really NEED a scope on it to shoot it well, because of my eyesight. Still, I was seriously thinking that it would likely only cost me about $40-$50 for the drill and tap procedure. Kind of makes me sick to think that it might potentially cost me $5 more than the COST of the nearly mint condition gun, just to drill and tap it.

Maybe this is, however, the going rate these days? Your thoughts?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Me too

Hi Mr. G,

I was curious about the same thing myself, because I have a beautiful 33-year-old Anschutz sporter that I wanted to fit with a quality scope and rings ... and it wasn't drilled-and-tapped either.

Plus I was concerned that there's always a possibility of the job being irrevocably botched ... the classic "patient dies during routine tonsillectomy" scene ...

Excuse my ignorance, but does your receiver have dovetail grooves? If it does, you might want to do what I did ... I bought a set of gun-specific steel Talley Rimfire rings for $49. You're going to need rings anyway, and these are strong and classy-looking.

Ron

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no "grooves" on my 512P

Mine was made in 1948, and apparently they went to grooving on this model in the early to mid 50's. I trust this guy is good, as he is a "Master" gunsmith and has 30 years of experience and was highly recommended. Also, he said that if I get my gun in there today, he can still "turn it around" to me in about 1 week, but if I do wait about another week or two at most, it will be a LOT longer turn-around time due to hunting season demands.

I've got an Anschutz too, and love it! It's a 1416 D KL. I would think that your Annie would be "worth" the expense of drilling and tapping, for sure. With my Remington 512, it's kind of a "crap shoot" as doing this will actually DECREASE it's otherwise VERY GOOD condition "value" even further. I've spent WAY too much money lately on rimfires and scopes, and I really just picked up the 512 because it was such a good deal. But, I wasn't really planning on $95 for the gun, + $100 for drill and tap, + maybe $10-$15 for mounts, + $100 or more for a decent scope. Was hoping that maybe $50 max, would cover the drilling and tapping and maybe even a basic mount, and then I could just pick up a Used but decent little 4x scope for about $50 or so. We'll see how it turns out.

· Registered
357 Posts
I think about $20.00 bucks a hole is the going rate these days. I used to charge $12.50 a hole when I was smithing back in the early 80's. You got to remember that a Forster jig (used to make sure holes are aligned w/barrel) costs about $400, add in the cost of a good drill press or mill/drill and suddenly 20 bucks a hole doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
Colorado,not a suggestion,just a tale about what I did to scope a similar rifle,Winchester 69A with 80A peep sight.I ordered Weaver bases and rings also a tube of Loctite Black Max from Brownells.Installing the bases was easy,after using the rifle for 3 or 4 months with a scope,I decided in favor of the peep sight.I put the rifle,minus wood and scope in the freezer overnight and used a brass hammer to knock the bases off without damage to the rifle's finish.The bases were dinged up,took a lot to get them off.I learned of this here on RFC.I'm a geezer too,and had wondered about the rifle's potential in my hands using a scope.Just offering an alternative to drilling and tapping.

· Registered
231 Posts
Brownell's lists $20-$45 for each hole in their survey of shop prices.

You could ask to see the jig your gunsmith uses. If he doesn't use a Forster or equivalent then I probably wouldn't have him do it.

This is exacting work and you want it done right or not at all.

GHP

· Registered
10,461 Posts
I've drilled and tapped about 8 rifles with out a jig, used a drill press and machinists vise, set up is time consuming with out a jig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.