Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hesitant to bring this up partly because I'm new here but doesn't anybody but me shoot a Cooper? Seems like there's a lot of 10-22 lovers on this site and I'm one of them, don't get me wrong; I've owned probably 8-10 of them. Still have my old early 70's walnut carbine for an every day shooter.
A couple of years ago I was becoming frustrated with my 541 Remington at the local indoor shoots so I " cleaned out the closet" and went shopping. I ended up with one of the early Cooper 57M "Classics". I'm still in the process of break-in and ammo selection.
My rifle (sn# 27) has a medium/heavy 24' bbl. and Stevens style magazine. Now I'm seeing newer versions w/ 20' bbls. and Anschutz? mags. Slick little rifles! Makes mine look like a hog.
Anybody out there shoot a Cooper?
MODERATORS- Can we start a "Cooper" thread on the "Other Rimfires" List?
Also, can any readers share some links on Coopers and/or rimfire accuracy?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another Cooper shooter signing in. Mine is a Model 36 with a serial number in the 300 range and was bought in excellent condition at an auction for a very, very good price.

It's a tackdriver with Federal Match and Target routinely shooting half an inch or less at 50 yards when I am up to the task. Very pretty rifle with a figured walnut stock. I acquired a set of Warne rings and a Leupold 2x-7xRF and it's a champion squirrel getter and paper puncher.

Paul

·
Registered
375 Posts
22 Long

I know that there are other Cooper owners here. My story is very much like yours. I too own a 70s walnut stock 10/22 and then moved on to a Remington 541 THB. Not being happy with the Remington's plastic magazine and habit of throwing the first two shots out of a cold barrel, I too moved up to the Cooper 57M. Mine is the Classic with a 22" barrel and with a serial # below 100. Looking at the Cooper web site it seems that they have made some changes to their Classics. They are using a lighter contoured taper barrel rather then the .665 straight taper that mine has. The new Classics at 6 lb. will likely make the 7.5 lb sporter class weight limit (scoped) that IR50/50 and some other rimfire BR games have. My Cooper weighs in at 8.5 lbs scoped with a Weaver V24 w/ sunshade. This is OK for the IBS and USBR sporter class.

I shot my unmodified Cooper last year in local BR and IBS registered matches and did rather well with it. With the Lapua Midas M that it preferred, it averaged groups in the low to mid .3" (50 yards) with the best 5 shot group measuring .155". I won my class in both IBS registered matches with scores of 250-9X and 248-12X. My best score for the season was a 250-15X in the last match of the season.

I'm very happy with the quality and accuracy of my Cooper. Mine could use an adjustment to the ejector to throw the spent cases farther (some of them will fall back into the action) but what with the way this rifle is shooting, I'm not letting anybody touch it (especially the gorillas at UPS). For BR, the trigger should be lighter then the factory adjustment range, but it breaks so cleanly and is so controllable that I have not found it to be a handicap.

I would also like to see a Cooper forum here.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Okay you guys, STOP IT. :)

I have enough trouble resisting the urge to buy one at the local gun shop without having to listen to all this Cooper talk here too.

I was in there a few weeks ago and overhead a customer ask about a .22 Mag. Cooper. They didn't have one in stock, but told him to check back in a month or so because they were waiting on an order of 17 Coopers in an assortment of calibers.

Temptation at every turn. Maybe I'll give in after they deliver my new safe next Friday. Then I'll have room for one.

John...never owned a 10/22.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.