Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 hawgs caught bullets from my M21 Cooper, 17rem this morning. Have a nice hand load worked up that the barrel likes, 3900fps, Varget, 25grn v-max. At 100yds with no wind 5 rnds will all touch in about one hole, less than .200" group size. This 17rem is an absolute blast for short range, can watch the bullet impact because it has no recoil. All my shooting with it thus far has been no further than 150yds on woodchucks. Entry wounds with no exits. Have some 25grn berger bullets that are more violent than the v-max. Explodes black birds into plumes of feathers, all the glue in the world couldn't put black-bird (humpty dumpty) back together again. Scope is a Leupold custom shop 6.5-20x40mm, 30mm tube, LR, Leupold dot, target knobs, side focus.

Was suprised at how loud this little pill of a caliber is, nearly as loud as a 22-250.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just put the sleepers on 5 with..

... my JVT in 20 Tac.

My best with any of my Cooper 17Rems was just shy of 250 yards. Had an old Schnabelly stocked 17Rem Classic with it's pencil 20" barrel that I foolishly traded off some years ago. Shot it ONCE without ear protection. Ears rang for a week, which was the primary reason I traded it away. Dumb me!

Alex

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own a pile of .22 centerfire calibers, shoot woodchucks frequently at 300yds with all of them. I know pretty much what they (220 swift, 22-250, 223) will and won't do and longer distances.... my first .17rem here though. Bought it for my short range shots because the 17hmr wasn't cutting it on some of the bigger hawgs at 100yds. Haven't had ANY of them walk away with this 17rem though...... no matter where they are hit with it.

Some of you's that are more familiar and experienced with this 17rem caliber..... is it pretty good out to 200yds? 250yds? (on small sized game). Would love to hear any/all experience with the 17rem.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I Coyote hunt with a 17Rem. and have for about 25yrs. I would not be afraid to shoot a Coyote at 350yds with an expected one hit kill. Shot placement is a bit crucial for larger game such as Coyotes. I use a Genco 25gr.hp (match grade), H322 powder and Rem 71/2 primers. My substitute powder is Reloader 15 and another great bullet is the Berger Match HP. Fragmental bullets do not work well on Coyote and a lot of folks are using the 30gr.hp., but for Chucks the fragmental rounds would be just fine. The 17Rem. is highly recommended for pelt hunters as there is usually no exit wound to sew up. In the past, I've shot a pile of groundhogs with a 17Rem. and it works quite well. I've witnessed some 400 and 500yd. shots with the normally one shot kill on groundhogs and Coyotes. Personally, I won't shoot past 300yd. when hunting Coyotes, besides, not many places around my neck of the woods where you can see that far, unless it's down main street.:eek:
I used a stock Rem. 700 in 17Rem for years until I got a Rem Model 7 in 17Rem. I'm sure your Cooper is more accurate than my light short barreled Model 7 is, but it will keep 5 rounds under a 1/2" at 100yds.
You will have a blast with the 17, which it appears you are finding that out already. I wouldn't limit it to 200yds. Pit it against your 22 centerfires at 300yds. and you'll be surprised. There is less wind drift with a 17 than with the 22 centerfires.

Have fun.

K22

·
Registered
114 Posts
17 Rem will do 300 yards easy on chucks. I have one in a Remington LVSF, my personal favorite for chucks 200 yards and under is a Cooper 17 Ackley Hornet in a Jackson Varminter. Watch every hit and the chuck falling over in the scope. Never had one move after being hit with a 20gr VMax. Has become my favorite gun.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Favorite thing about this caliber is indeed being able to watch the bullet hit them, blood and guts fly/spray, all visible in the scope with the ZERO recoil. Very fun. The beans are pretty high now so when I go boom with a .22cal centerfire I have to walk up and see if I hit them (rare to miss!) but not so with the 17rem. Get to watch them fall over, very kewl! :D I wish I would have gotten into this caliber years ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After looking at that picture I am wanting a Phoenix in 17 Rem for chucks. The LVSF is my coyote calling rig. Can't have a gun pulling double duty. I try to stay off this site cause it ends up killing my check book.:D

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More Cooper M21 .17rem kills.......

Larger 2 hawgs were head shots at 200yds, entry wound only, no exit. Heads were mushy like jello, they simply tipped right over when they got HIT. :D The 2 smaller hogs were 100yd shots, hit them in the shoulder so the bullet ripped them pretty good. All 4 hawgs were with 25grn Berger match varmint bullets. So far, the Berger bullets have been the more violent round over the 25grn Hornady V-Max. Largest of the hawgs shown weighed just over 12lbs. Biggest one I ever shot weighed 15lbs. I'm convinced this round will be the perfect coyote rig for me this Fall/Winter.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I don't think the Berger Varmint bullets are very good on Coyotes...............leastwise, not if you are saving the pelts. The Berger Match 25gr.hp is the bullet of choice for most of the pelt hunters. The Varmint bullet is a bit to explosive for Coyotes and usually ends with a wounded animal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.