Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 custom classics 2 used and 1 new that I paid about $2000 for each. All of these are well optioned with very nice wood. It seems like equivalent guns new or used now run around 4000/5000. I know there are a lot of factors in play like inflation, but do you think the value is still there at these higher prices?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Depends upon several things like wood, caliber, and condition on the used one. I sense the value of pre-owned Cooper rifles will vary more than say an Anschutz because each Cooper is a bit more unique and offer more options. I bought two high end Coopers with full options for $2500 each a few years back. I think the chambering held them back, 17 AH, but I was lucky to get my money back on one, a NOS Western Classic built to the nines. Admittedly that was 3 years ago. As I recall, there were actually three, and everyone also disliked the rubber pads on two of those. Still the English walnut, full wrap very fine checkering, cased colors, bolt checkering were over the top but no joy. A skeleton Niedner buttplate and grip cap on one helped with resale
TBR

·
Registered
15,208 Posts
I have 3 custom classics 2 used and 1 new that I paid about $2000 for each. All of these are well optioned with very nice wood. It seems like equivalent guns new or used now run around 4000/5000. I know there are a lot of factors in play like inflation, but do you think the value is still there at these higher prices?
I don't, but I'm an oldster that remembers prices like you quoted. 1800-2000 for a new CC. 2500 each for two well optioned show guns with killer wood way beyond AAA+.
That said, it's easy to forget the number of years that have passed since those numbers were common. Assuming it must be 20 years now, so a doubling shouldn't be a huge shock.
The shock for me is that so many Coopers are now plastic stocked, and priced far above what optioned AAA+ custom classics sold for back in the day. For those, I really don't see the value at all.

Equally bizarre to see ANA getting $3k+ for a 1710 with nice but not truly exceptional wood. Craftsmanship found in those mass production stocks doesn't match a Cooper stock at all.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Value like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

In my experience it is a lot easier to sell a non or lower optioned Cooper rather than one that may have a lot of options on it. Not only because the highly-optioned one will be pricier but because the field of buyers is narrowed down to someone who has the same idea of how it should be optioned.

I have a friend who had a Cooper built with every bell and whistle plus a couple of items that are not mentioned in the option list - he ended up paying slightly over $7000 for it. This was about 6 years ago but to him it was a good value because it was exactly what he wanted and it was built as an heirloom rifle that will be passed down to his son and grandson. If he were to sell it I doubt that he could get more than $5000 for it in todays market.

My self for the most value I prefer buying pre-owned gently used, those are where you get the most value.

But my direct answer is - NO! I do not think they are worth the $4000 - $5000 price range, If they had been selling for the equivilant of that when I started buying them I would never have bought my first one.

drover

·
Registered
16 Posts
Boy, I totally agree with you when it comes to a plastic stock! They lack aesthetic beauty…,they have no soul! Not a fan!

I have been around along time, like you and remember what 2500.00 use to get you! I use to have the handle Coopersrcool and we both have had some awesome guns! Times have changed, so have prices, but a exceptional wood stock Cooper or Canyon Creek remains a constant that will always be in style!
Kenny

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I’ve been contemplating replacing a custom classic I sold 7 years ago with another custom classic or maybe a western classic but they start at 4700 and 5400 now. Feels a little ridiculous

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I really think that the price is driven by the desire. I like a bit of good wood and a sleek rifle. Cooper can do all that. Having said that, retirement is a time for me to get some of those things that I passed on while trying to build a financial base for retirement for my wife and I. I feel I have done that an d now I have surplus income to delve into the things that I passed on earlier in life. Problem is, now I don't physically have the get up and go I had back then. I agree with the poster above that buying gently used is the way to go as long as the price is in line or close to my expectations.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Coopers are nice rifles. I have 13 of them. Is it a Veblen good? I don’t think so. The demographics of the market don’t support it. I’m making way more money now than when I bought my Coopers and I would not pay their current prices. Gently used is the way to go. And that person selling the gently used is going to want to make a profit. Guns are not a money making investment.

·
Registered
15,208 Posts
Guns are not a money making investment.
I totally agree, though there are worse hobbies to throw money at. Guns do happen to be an interest where a little care when buying, will allow you to recoup a good part of what you spend. Ten or twenty or thirty years down the road will probably yield a decent amount more than you paid, but if every blessed thing in your life has to be seen as an investment, that takes some of the fun out of the item, doesn't it?.
There does seem to be an obsession with trying to see guns as an investment. Perhaps just a justification for buying stuff you really don't need. Having 20 guns isn't double the fun of having 10.
Every gun forum has umpteen questions along the lines of "Did I do ok??"
Hey, it was worth that amount to you on the day you bought it, so what does it matter what others think? You don't need to liquidate it today, do you? And if you did pay a little more than some online "authority" says it's worth, what are you going to do about it, anyway?
A few just want a pat on the back as they know they got a bargain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts