Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cooey-Winchester Model 39

17778 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Doc Sharptail
Received a call from a friend, He picked up a very clean .22 Single shot, Stamped Cooey- Winchester Model 39 while on vacation. Did a search here and did not come up with much, My bluebook lumps the cooey's all togeather and shows them at $75-150 price range. Does that sound right? Any thoughts?, Was it normal to have both names stamped on the barrel?, Have not seen rifle yet, will try to post a picture . Thanks for any help, Olypenn22
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Cooey Arms of Canada made inexpensive .22 rifles and single barrelled shotguns from 1927 or so on. In 1961 they were bought out by Winchester who continued to make the line until 1979. They stamped them Cooey Winchester hoping the Winchester name would boost sales. The 39 was considered a boy's light weight single shot as opposed to the heavier "man sized" 75. Both models were staples in Canadian hardware stores and on farms for decades. None of the Cooeys have much collector value and not really a lot of shooting value either, in my opinion. They sell cheaply.

· Registered
464 Posts
olypenn22 said:
Received a call from a friend, He picked up a very clean .22 Single shot, Stamped Cooey- Winchester Model 39 while on vacation. Did a search here and did not come up with much, My bluebook lumps the cooey's all togeather and shows them at $75-150 price range. Does that sound right? Any thoughts?, Was it normal to have both names stamped on the barrel?, Have not seen rifle yet, will try to post a picture . Thanks for any help, Olypenn22
I have a later Model 750 Win/Cooey in the vault. The rollstamps read:

Made by Cooey Tool and Arms Co,

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada

Winchester, Trademark

The stock on it is identical to the Lakefield Mk 1.

I beleive I paid 70 or 80 Cdn dollars for it in the mid 80's.

You will find divided opinions on these .22's- for the simple reason that many were abused, neglected, and poorly maintained- such a gun cannot be expected to shoot well at all.

The ones that have been taken care of are extremely good shooters. I scoped tht little 750, and it is good for a shade under 1/2" at 25 yds with reasonable quality ammo from a good rest.

The heavier barrelled Cooey 75 is no slouch when it comes to groups- my best with good target ammo has been 3/4" at 50 yds, from rest, with the open irons.

There are those who will tell you the Win 67 and 68 series rifles are better guns than the Cooeys. I don't buy this for a minute- gunsmiths tend to shy away from doing bore/barrel work on the 67/68's on account of the one piece barrel and receiver. All the Cooey recievers are bored and milled from a block of steel, with the barrel shrunk-fit and pinned into place... something Anschutz has been doing for quite a while now...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

· Registered
2,236 Posts
There is one in excellent condition in a gun shop here that's got a price of $175 on it. It's been there a long time, so I don't think there's much interest in one for that much money, at least around here anyway. Part of the problem is that most people around here don't know what a Cooey is.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.