Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think it is actually Canadian. I've spent the last couple of years looking for a Cooey 39A at gun shows or online, can't find a mint one.

The 75 doesn't ring any bells so I don't have any info for you. Nice guns though.

Cooey the company started out in Toronto, Canada in the early 1900s, moved to Cobourg, Canada at some point, and then was purchased by Olin and renamed Winchester Canada. I know a few Winchester collectors who get into them, but I don't know what sort of value they have.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cooey 75

Cooey was a Winchester subsidary in Canada. The seven models they produced were of good quality. The 75 is nice looking and has a deluxe stock. Spare parts are available from www.e-gunparts.com and I see parts for sale on E-Bay and AuctionArms. I would check the bore first as that would be an expensive fix.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Seems like every Canadian Shooter has had or shot one of these.

They are... 'adequate'.
I have a Canadian Army WWII production trainer, the Cooey Model 82. Big heavy barrel and a mannlicher stock - made deliberately big to simulate the size and feel of a SMLE.
The rifle is accurate enough, but the sights are an abomination.
Definately 'expedient' wartime production.
It's a sure way to sort Canadian shooters out of a crowd at any range... they are usually the only ones who know what the thing is, and display a curipus affection for it.:confused: :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first 22!

I have an old (MUST be pre-WWII) Cooey 75, and it is a great little gun. Just with the iron sights (not that great) I can easily plink pop cans and squirrels at 75 yards freehand. Seems much more inherantly accurate than my 10/22...:)

It's basically a silent gun too. Does anyone know if that has to do with the long length of the barrel? My own intuition seems to tell me that by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle, the pressure in the barrel is faaaar less than on a short barrel, and the report is much softer. Does this make sense?

I've been a lurker on this site for a while, and I'm learning way more about .22's than I ever thought possible! Thanks for all the help!

Dave
aka canucklehead

·
Registered
25 Posts
After Winchester Canada gave it up, I think the cooey line was then produced by Lakefield Arms. Another Ontario company (?)

I think the Model 75 single is quite common up here. First gun I every shot was a tube feed repeating Cooey .22. Don't know the model number.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Canadian here!

I have a cooey model 75 in my gun safe. It is a single shot, 26" barrel and yes they were made in Canada. Just about every young hunter in British Columbia where I live learned to shoot with these type of .22's. They were very cheap guns to buy, and in my experience very accurate guns. I don't know if Lakefield bought out Cooey or not, but I do know Lakefield .22's are garbage. Cheap guns, and poor shooters. If ya have any more questions just ask!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I grew up shooting a Cooey. They are fairly nice shooters IMO. Here in Canada they are not worth all that much though. Used in fair shape (most common ) about $80 - $100 CAN. I could be wrong, this is what I have seen though.
All in all very good value for the money IMO.
Here's a pic of one for sale if your interested in looking. exactly the same as the one I grew up with. :D

http://www.shootist.ab.ca/drim25.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.