Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over what I have for Contender Handguns & Barrels the other day and I started pondering the next Barrel choice.

I currently have 3 frames (2 Blued and 1 Stainless), and 4 Barrels. The Barrels are as follows:

Super 14 Blued Match Grade .22 LR with a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope.

Super 14 Blued .223 Remington with a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope (actually this scope is being shared between 2 barrels)

Custom Virgin Valley Custom Guns 15" Stainless 6mm T/CU with a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope.

Super 14 Blued .30-30 Ackley Improved (a rechamber from .30 Herrett to .30-30 AI by SSK Industries) with a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope. (actually this scope is being shared between 2 barrels)

What is the next choice. I am thinking a 10" .44 Magnum or something along those lines. I also have other Handguns chambered for the .22 LR, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9mm, and .45 ACP.

Any suggestions ?

Larry

·
Registered
157 Posts
.357, versatile and nice to shoot. Sounds like you have a broad range in just a few barrels. Might consider a .410 shotgun barrel.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually

because of health reason I can no longer shoot shoulder fired weapons that recoil more than about a .223, I have considered a .45 Colt / .410 Shotshell Contender Barrel. The part I am having problems deciding is what length to get, 10" Bull, Super 14 or Super 16 ?

BTW I did miss a great buy on a 10" Bull Barrel in .357 Magnum a while back. It looked like new and the dealer had it marked $90.00. About the time I got home from the Gun Show I asked myself why I didn't buy that barrel. The next day I phoned the dealer but was told it was sold about 10 minutes after I left his tables.

Larry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Larry,

Look at the 17HMR. Just picked up a 23" incher bull barrel for my SS frame and love it. If you can't shoot a shouldered weapon a 14" in bull barrel would be fun.

Got mine from Ed's contender and I am EXTREMELY pleased after shootin just 50 rounds thru it. There is more noise transmitted thru the stock from the hammer falling then from the round going off and there is NO recoil... And boy is it accurate.

When I bought it Ed (not sure if kidding or not at the time) that they use them to shoot grasshoppers out to 100yds when they get bored.. After shooting this little bugger I beleive you could.

DonT

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Don. Yes the .17 HMR has also crossed my mind a time or two. I think it would probably provide the most performance and fun factor that can be had in a Rimfire. Ammo in this part of the country is kind of hard to get, but there is always mail order I guess.

Yep, I'll have to keep that one in mind also.

Larry

·
Registered
448 Posts
Barrels you say....

I got what you what you need Larry.

I have NEW unfired Blued 14" .17 HMR setting in the gun cabinet.
I did mount it, but our range is closed for construction so I put it back in the box and put it up. Been that way for a couple of months.

I bought the barrel for kicks and because the last one in that caliber didn't live up to what I wanted. Sold it got this one.
I just picked up a Ruger in the 17HMR, so this barrel will just sit around.
Think $200 shipped to the lowwer 48 is about right.
Also got a Blued 14" 22 LR. Plain Jane 22 LR. Nice barrel thought. And shoots good. Might be something you could rechamber to 22MAG and have a complete set.
I'll take $160 shipped to the lowwer 48 on that one.

Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ern

Man if I would have posted this a week ago and had your responce at that time we could have worked something out.

I'm tapped out right now, just last week I picked up a 7" Barrel for my S&W 22S and a 4x32mm Swift Handgun Scope to go on it. If not for that I may have been interested in one of your barrels.

However I may have a friend interested in the .22 LR Barrel. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see what he has to say.

Larry

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Larry,
GO FOR THE GUSTO!!!!!
My 14" 45-70 barrel is a trip to shoot. You should get one and try it:eek:
Paul

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Paul, I am not sure I am that brave. Aren't guns supposed to hurt more on the muzzle end than on the other end ?

Yes I have given consideration to a Big Boomer. Everyone should have at least ONE Big Boomer. I have considered a 14" Hunter in .45/70, or .444 Marlin or .445 Super Mag, plus a couple others.

After doing a little soul searching, and checking the accounting department I found out (or rather I was told) that I have bought way to many toys in the past couple months.

Guess I can day dream a little while longer.

Larry

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Larry in SD said:
Hey Paul, I am not sure I am that brave. Aren't guns supposed to hurt more on the muzzle end than on the other end ?

It does :D
Yes it hurts a little on the grip end, but nothing compared to the blow delivered on the other:cool: :cool:
I have a ballistics program that figures recoil. Using my electric fish scales to get and accurate weight on my contender. It came up with 32.8 ft/lbs of recoil. Which one chart I've seen says is REAL close to a 300 Win Mag in an "average rifle" firing 180gr factoy ammo.
It DOES get you attention I promise you:eek:
Paul

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning Paul

I have a question for you. Is you barrel a Plain Super 14, or is it a Hunter Barrel or Magnaported ?

I would think a .45/70 is going to be very LOUD anyway, so am thinking maybe a 14" Hunter Barrel is the way to go on this large of a caliber. Your opinions please.

Larry

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Re: Morning Paul

Larry in SD said:
I have a question for you. Is you barrel a Plain Super 14, or is it a Hunter Barrel or Magnaported ?

I would think a .45/70 is going to be very LOUD anyway, so am thinking maybe a 14" Hunter Barrel is the way to go on this large of a caliber. Your opinions please.

Larry
I've got the Hunter model with the brake on it. After a couple of years of chunking 300gr JHP's @ 17-1800fps I've started using cast 330 hp's (cast of 20:1) @ approx 1600. Accuracy's still good and I'm curious about performance on these smaller Alabama deer.
Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
357 Maximum?

have you thought about the 357 max? if you already have a 357 then you could shoot 38's, 357's, and the 357 Max's . If your reloading that would even fall into place there also.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My newest barrel which arrived last month is a Bullberry 10" in .357 Mag "Match". Gave me a real good deal - was going to buy one of his sale barrels - it was sold so Fred said he would make me another one at the same price - just had to wait for 4 months - but $195 plus $6 shipping was too good to pass up! His 10" barrel is a straight bull barrel - does not taper like the factory TC 10" barrels. Fred says the barrel will shoot MOA accuracy at 100 yards - said I would probably have to use a rilfle scope to achieve it. Have not tried the barrel yet. Will wear the 7X Burris when I finally get around to buying a set of rings! With the 7X Burris I was able to achieve 100 yd MOA accuracy easily with my old Super 14 in .223.

Also own the following TC factory barrels:

22lr match 10" - 2X Burris
22lr match 10"- 2X-7X Burris
357 Mag 10" - 4x Burris
22 Mag 10" - 7X Burris - this is a borrowed barrel at the moment

Used to own:

22 Hornet 10"
223 Super 14
10" 44 mag
14 "44 mag with muzzle tamer
22lr 10" non-match

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just a few weeks ago missed a really good deal on a 10" Bull Barrel in .357 Magnum. I guess at the time I never even considered what it's possibilities were. It would have made a good barrel for my Daughter to shoot as it was, or could have been rechambered to .357 MAX (which I never thought of at the time). Oh well, next time I will know better.

However this is the beauty of the Contender. It can be anything you want it to be (within reason of course).

Larry

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Larry in SD said:

What is the next choice. I am thinking a 10" .44 Magnum or something along those lines.
Any suggestions ?

Larry
Larry - forgot to mention in my original post that the 10" TC barrel I owned in 44 mag was among the most discomforting handguns to shoot I have ever experiienced! You seem to have a great deal of Contender knowledge and maybe you have had experience with them - but I found my 10" 44 mag barrel to be very unpleasant with magnum loads. I had to resort to using a weightlifting glove. I shoot a 6.5" Smith & Wesson with 2X Leupold off the bench(no gloves) and it is not even close to the TC - feels mild with the same loads.

I like the 357 mag in the 10" TC - the accuracy even with the factory barrel is pretty amazing - really puts my 686 revolver in it's place and the 686 is no slouch! One hole at 25 meters is too be expected for 5 shot groups and have even shot as good as a nickel size group at 50 yds with a 4X Burris! Iwill soon try to test out my Bullberry 10" in 357 Mag "Match".

·
Registered
973 Posts
I gotta put my vote in.

I love the .44 mag in a Super 14. Been using it on deer for about 18 years.

The 10" .45 Colt/.410 barrel with the external choke is kind of fun to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.