Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has a T/C Contender in ..17 HM2? I was wondering what size groups you got out of it and at what yardage? What barrel length and which ammo shoots best?
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a 23" bull barrel. It shoots under a half inch at 50yds. I did shoot 3 rounds into a 3/8" group at 100 yds once. It will shoot under an inch at 100 pretty consistently when you do your part. Hornady ammo.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I have a 10" MGM barrel that shoots good. Also have a 23 " TC barrel that does a good job.
Either would make a good Squirrel gun.I've tried most ammo on the market,nothing shot bad,but Hornady would get my vote for the best.
:bthumb: :bthumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
23 and 14

I've got a rifle and pistol barrel (factory). Had to send the first rifle barrel barrel back as it was bulging and splitting cases consistently. The pistol barrel doesn't, and the new rifle barrel bulges cases slightly, but does not appear to split them. Haven't even had a chance to break them in decently yet, so no word on group size.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
I got a 14" TC Mach II on close out the other week for $139.00 ,couldn't pass it up.:t --JMJ--
Heck of a buy sir - I bought the same a couple of months ago for a shade over $200. Am in process of converting to 16" carbine barrel (why did they discontinue Super 16?) :confused:

·
Registered
570 Posts
i am just about to order a 23" bull barrel for my tender in 17m2. and was wondering which ammo to go with? i found a great price for remington's on Natchez's site for $3.59 when you buy 10 or more. but is Eley better, or some thing else?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking of getting a 17 HM2 for my next barrel. I was wanting to see how everyone else shot with their barrels. I still looking as to which brand to buy. I looked at a .204 Ruger barrel at Cabela's. The finish on the new barrels is not as good as the old ones like back when I bought my Contender in the 1980's. I like the old gloss barrels a lot better than this new stuff that is being sold now.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
finish

Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking of getting a 17 HM2 for my next barrel. I was wanting to see how everyone else shot with their barrels. I still looking as to which brand to buy. I looked at a .204 Ruger barrel at Cabela's. The finish on the new barrels is not as good as the old ones like back when I bought my Contender in the 1980's. I like the old gloss barrels a lot better than this new stuff that is being sold now.
they'll still sell you a high gloss bbl but it costs extra from the custom shop:D .

·
Registered
387 Posts
they'll still sell you a high gloss bbl but it costs extra from the custom shop:D .
Contact MGM for a quality barrel, if your wanting a 14inch barrel with match quality chamber, you can get it from them for about the same price as T/C's custom shop and they will build it the way YOU want it. And if there's a problem they'll correct it quickly with no problem. The last custom shop barrel I purchased was a K-Hornet 15inch high gloss blue for the Encore which cost me $350.00. Just ordered a 14inch full bull 22lr match barrel for the Contender in Stainless with a stainless scope base added for $310.00. This will be my 4th barrel from MGM in the last year with more to come SOON :D

docand:cool:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Here is a link to a summary of my HM2 data. Shot from a 14" & a 23" TC barrels. Several brands of ammo were tested and the lot numbers are included.

HM2 Test Data

Range on all of this data was 59 yds. Why? That's the distance from the BBQ pit to the target stand.

A17Shooter

:snipersmi

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I have a 15" OTT barrel that will shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yards.

I was reading Dean's post, dated 4-21-2008 and knew that there had to be a missing photo, so I clicked the edit button and there was a missing huntingpictures photo.

I added the photo, but according to Dean's lists, he has it shown as 14", not 15".

I plan to restore Dean's missing photos, as I read them.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 on Dec. 7, 2020 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

:F

·
Registered
123 Posts
Will post more photos later. These are just what I have on my phone right now. My barrel is made by MGM. Will upload photo later.

The small group is from the best lot of ammo I have purchased of CCI Vmax at 44 yds. 0.21", pretty standard for that lot of ammo. . The larger group is the largest group I shot on a different t day using a normal lot of Hornady Vmax at 51.8 yds.

It will not group with NTX. Over 3" at 51.8 yds

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Marilyn, thanks for the photo and the memories of Dean. He is missed here too!

About the topic, I have a few boxes of Eley HM2s which shoot very well in my 23-inch Contender barrel. This tiniest of rounds is an overachiever for sure!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.