Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

confused about bedding

323 2
I've been reading the archived posts - but am confused about bedding. I am getting ready to add either a Boyd or Revival Tundra stock and a new Green Mountain barrel. Do i need to do bedding work to make this combination accurate? I was thinking this would all be drop-in stuff----as I don't think I am ready to start with bedding a barrel. Will the new stocks come with whatever is needed to free float the barrel?

Thanks for any assistance

Zach <-----very confused
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
mmm.....nah if you want to free float the barrel, you'll need to get some sand paper, 120 grit works well, then use 220 to finish it up, wrap the sand paper around a wooden dowel or a deepwell socket about the same size as your barrel or a little smaller, then just work it back and forth in the barrel channel and check the fit till you can slip a business card smoothly between the barrel and stock. I think bedding is always a good idea, but if you don't take the proper precausions, you'll glue you're barrel and receiver into the stock forever, do all the reading you can on the subject and get down the process before you even try, and for heaven's sake buy a bedding kit, they will include instructions and a proven release agent. You don't have to bed or free float for you're gun to function, its just that you can usually squeese more accuracy out of you're gun by doing this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used the Accraglass gel twice and I'm happy with both try's. We talking about a .22, not a 300 wm so it's a great choice.

Suggestions - try this on your old stock first. don't chance ruinning you new stock. Also, you don't have to bed the whole thing at once. I learned my lession and now I do this is 3 or 4 sections. Finally - you CAN'T use too much release agent.

Note: The accraglass gel seams to be about 5.00 cheaper anywhere else then Brownelles. Should be between 15.00 and 20.00.

Run a few searching on yahoo for bedding a barrel - you will find a lot of info, but you will be fine to follow the instructions that comes with the kit.

Lovesbeer, (but shoots safe)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.