Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing to very little about the Anschutz rifles and will be going to look at a used 64 this next week. My question is, if one has any 64 model can barrel-stock-trigger group be upgraded in the future if wanted? Is it a major job to change barrels? I would like to know SOMETHING about them before I go to check it out !!!
Thanks for any help;
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Glenn,

The barrels on the 64's are simply pressed and pinned into place. No real challange to rebarrel if you chose to. Not quite a home project, but certainly easy for most smiths to do.

Anschutz does a couple different triggers for the 64s. The newer triggers need some inletting changes and a shorter rear screw to fit onto the older rifles. Think it's the 5098 trigger that fits the 64 action and adjusts down to 280 grams or so, (about 10 oz) and but can go lower with work.

Different stocks are also available. There's not a lot of options, but there are folks that can take both an existing stock, and an un-inletted but fully shapped one and match inletting for you. Sort of makes nearly anything possible. Anschutz also sells a couple different stocks for the 64s. Pricey, but available.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dkemper;
Thanks for the info......sounds as though a different stock if need be, could be difficult to find
pdeal;
I haven't seen the rifle yet so I don't know but it doesn't sound like a Target model, only heard about it from a friend that saw it in the gun shop that he frequents and he wasn't sure what series of 64 it was, only that it had a thin barrell and a two stage adjustable trigger. He said the barrel had 'something' on the muzzle end about 3" back that looked like a weight ?? Not sure what that is about !!! Maybe a Tuner?? Dunno....my friend got the name and address of the original owner so I will give him a call and see what he has to say about this rifle....
Thanks for the replies and info...........
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sounds like it has a tuner...

on the barrel. There are different triggers available, but if it has a tuner, its probably got one of the better triggers.

There are companies that make stocks for the Anschutz 64 action because it is so popular. Finding a stock will not be that difficult.

I'd suggest looking the rifle over before you spend any more money (thinking of upgrades). When you look at the rifle, scope the bore, take the action out of the stock and try the trigger with a empty case in the chamber. Work the action to see if its crisp, gummy or sloppy.

Check the crown and see if they will let you test it at the range.

Ask about the owners manual and original box.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I spoke with the (last) owner this evening and he filled me in on some of the history of this rifle, he has had it for the past 15 years and it set oiled up in the safe for the past 12 years because he wanted to start shooting a clip fed 22 instead of a single shot and he took it out and cleaned it up just shortly ago and ran a bit of ammo through and every thing functioned and shot well..he said it was manufactured around 1970/1972 and was called a Silhouette/Target model of the 64 series... it is a single shot...the barrel instead of having a weight installed on it actually increased in size near the muzzle !! The barrel was considered a semi-bull barrel. It has a two stage-adjustable trigger on it but he wasn't sure what pull weight it would go down to...he said it was in very good condition, I presume that he had some owner pride in his description of it being 'very good condition' so I would guess it to be in around 90 percent condition. Does this ring any bells with you folks that are familiar with the old iron and what would you consider its approx. value....it has an inexpensive scope and rings installed on it so if it had an apperture on it, it is probably long gone. I will go to the shop Tuesday where he sold it and have a look.
Thanks;
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Buy it...

Sounds like an older 64 MS silhouette gun... Trigger should be 2 stage, and should go down to about 10oz, very nice indeed...

Both my 54 silhouette models have that barrel bulge on the end, it's just for the choke and for the grooves for mounting the peep site if needed.

Here's a link to the newest model 64 MSR. Does it look like this?

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/pm/detailansicht.php?mkid=42&l=e&project=jga_de

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've got a 64 MSR...

and it shoots bug holes. That rifle rips em up.

Heard the older models don't have as good a trigger. Inspect it well, especially to make sure the stock is sound. Some of the old Annies need bedding due to wood compression. Unless you can do it yourself, its gonna cost you.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steinie said:
Buy it...

Sounds like an older 64 MS silhouette gun... Trigger should be 2 stage, and should go down to about 10oz, very nice indeed...

Both my 54 silhouette models have that barrel bulge on the end, it's just for the choke and for the grooves for mounting the peep site if needed.

Haven't seen it yet...I go Tues. to have a look and possibly deal.....The shop is asking $475.00 with an inexpensive 2.5/10 scope already mounted(He took the Weaver off before he sold it to the shop!!!)
Does this sound like a resonable price ??
glenn

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan S said:
and it shoots bug holes. That rifle rips em up.

Heard the older models don't have as good a trigger. Inspect it well, especially to make sure the stock is sound. Some of the old Annies need bedding due to wood compression. Unless you can do it yourself, its gonna cost you.
Dan S;
Thanks for the tip on the stock....I will be taking a friend with me that is more knowledgeable about such things and we will check it out well....he deals with this shop alot and said the shop owner will probably let us take it out and shoot it before any decisions are made.....nice benifit !!! What is your opinion on the $475.00 asking price??
Thanks;
glenn

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ballpark price...

but maybe a little high if its not in 90% condition. I paid $618 for a new in box MSR from Champions Choice a couple years ago. Now you'd pay 700-750.

Even if its 90%, I'd offer him $375. Don't say, "What will you take for the rifle?". Dealers don't like that.

You can always go up from $375 after making the offer.

Condition is important.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question........when I go to look at this rifle, how do I know that it is a 64 action ?? Should there be a specific # to look for...as I understand it, Aunshutz also has some cheaper actions? It is a shame that there is not an informative book on the various models made during there history.....I could sure use one now. (Lol)
Thanks;
glenn

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Glenn,

One problem with Anschutz is they have a confusing scheme for their model numbers.

Size might be your best clue to ID the action type. My Match 64's have receivers that are 25 mm in diameter, and 164 mm long. The heavier 54 actions are larger in diameter where the "lesser" Achiever/1451/2000 actions are smaller.

For me, one of the real gray zones are the Mark family of rifles. I'm not convinced both the Mk 10 and Mk 12s are based on the 64 action. For sure the Mk 2000 is a lighter action but I am not sure of the other two.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This forum is the GREATEST.....I thank you all for the info. and when I take the little 150 mile oneway trip in the Am, I will be a bit better prepared knowledge-wise.....I spoke with the shop owner today and he said he still had it and was willing to hold it untill I got there tommorow.....nice fellow !!!
I will let you know what the out come is and thanks again......
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
steinie said:
Buy it...

stenie;
You are correct....it looks exactly like the 64 MSR except the name ANSCHUTZ is not on the side of the stock but the shape and stippling are identical.....on the top of the barrel approx 6" forward of the reciever it is marked Anschutz Mod.64 Silhouette....on the left side of the barrel just in front of the reciever there is some sort of stamp(?) that I can't make out then (T or I) F then the antlers, on the left front side of the reciever it is marked 1283635 then that funny stamp again then further back is JG Anschutz GmbH Ulm West Germany it also has that funny stamp on top of the bolt.....the barrel is a semi- Bull, 20 3/4" long and has a concaved target crown and the bore light showed nice bright well shaped rings...the trigger has two adjusting screws and we put a spent shell in and the pull was crisp and probably around 16 to 20 oz.'s....I haven't used my Lyman gauge on it as of yet...the stock wood is probably 90 to 95% with the deduction due to a small scratch ( you can barely feel it with your fingernail ) on the left side....the blueing is 95 to 98% although I had the shop owner remove the stock and we found some minor rust freckling on the top of the barrel in front of the reciever about 1 1/2" long....the wood on the inside of the stock was in as good if not better than the exterior.....The previous owner and the shop owner guessed the manufacture date around 1970 or 72.........is there any way to prove this with the info. that I have given???? After I made the purchase,(YES I DID !!!) my buddy , who lives in the area and belongs to a local gun club, headed for the range and we fired 50 rounds of Lapua Master M through it and after about 15 to 18 rounds it began to group 5 shot groups between 1/2" and 3/8".....measured O to O.......needless to say, I am a happy camper. (Lol) I am amazed at the condition of this rifle with it being 30 some years old..The 345 mile round trip was definetly worth it !!...Any help on the date of manufacture would be much appreciated........
Thanks;
glenn (Buckeye Air)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
First of all. Glad you bought it. You will like her I am sure... I love them silly-wet stocked Annies. Have 2 of the 54.18's myself. :)

Funny looking marks are most likely proof marks. Just in front of the action on the left side should be a two-digit date code. You said it looked like a T and an I, could be 71 for 1971 manufacture, which is close to what they said. You may need to inspect with a magnifying glass? It will be right next to the action, as close as you can get, with no other marks closer. :)

Try Master L, should be even tighter groups. :) Or even Wolf MT or ME should do you good. :) Don't overclean her, the Annie manual says to only clean every couple thousand rounds after the first 10 thousand rounds. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
steinie said:
First of all. Glad you bought it. You will like her I am sure... I love them silly-wet stocked Annies. Have 2 of the 54.18's myself. :)

Funny looking marks are most likely proof marks. Just in front of the action on the left side should be a two-digit date code. You said it looked like a T and an I, could be 71 for 1971 manufacture, which is close to what they said. You may need to inspect with a magnifying glass? It will be right next to the action, as close as you can get, with no other marks closer. :)

Try Master L, should be even tighter groups. :) Or even Wolf MT or ME should do you good. :) Don't overclean her, the Annie manual says to only clean every couple thousand rounds after the first 10 thousand rounds. :)
Is it possible to still get a manual and if so where??? I will order several different types and brands of ammo to day and start the fun job of finding what she likes the best........
Thnaks for the help;
glenn (Buckeye Air)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.