Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Competition Model

488 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  38super
Frustrated newbie alert!

I've had my Competition model for a few months now, having fired about 1000 rounds through it of various makes, mostly American Eagle. It used to jam a lot, but replacing the magazines seemed to take care of the problem with most ammo brands/types. However, the pistol still doesn't work right with Federal Gold Medal Target ammo. In a given magazine, at least half of the rounds won't fire when I pull the trigger, despite solid contact by the firing pin. I do notice quite a bit of lead buildup on the bolt face, and rounds that don't fire often show gouges in bullet surface. I'm wondering if the magazines weren't the only problem, perhaps the chamber might be out-of-spec? Would it probably be a good idea to send the pistol backto Ruger? If so, what kind of service can I expect?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Hello Enzyme,

99% of Ruger MK II probs are simple. A gummy extractor spring plunger will keep the bolt face off the barrel. To test this, chamber a fired case and release the bolt. Observe the bolt and pull trigger. Did bolt move fwd? If so, you've isolated the prob area and the search begins.

Step 1: Remove upper rcvr and bolt. Tear down and solvent (clutch & brake disk cleaner) wash same. Ruger's preservative coating (cosmoline) is not a lubricant by any stretch of the imagination.
Step 2: Repeat step 1 on all magazines.
Step 3: Clean bolt and barrel face.
Step 4: Inspect barrel chamber for crud (a fired case should push in will very little resistance)
WARNING: Do not alter the barrel chamber unless you know what you're doing.
Step 5: Inspect feed ramp for burrs or nicks, polish (cratex or 600 sandpaper) to high sheen.

Step 6: If you haven't figured it out by now. Look up a gunsmith by the name of Alan Tanaka. He's in Gardena on Hobart St, not too far from you. Don't have his number, will PM you if I find it. His forte is world class PPC/Bianchi revolvers and carry 1911's.

BTW: TRW GC has a monthly Tuesday nite match on Harbor Police Range. Good group of shooters and very safety conscious (well, as safe as engineers can . . . never mind) ;)
See less See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.