Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Compact Binoculars

317 4
I'm looking for a compact binocular to use for checking target hits with my 10/22 mag. with a Red-Dot on the 50yd. and 100yd range. What power would be best and what make is recommended?
Thanks for any help.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
compact binoculars

i have two sets of compacts
simmons mossy oak 8x21
nikon buckmasters 10x21

i also have a set of bushnell 10x50 binocs and out of the three
i have the nikons are far superior to the rest
they are a bright clear image and they dont hurt my eyes with
extended glassing
i think for 50 to 100 yds they would do great
they also make a 10x36 compact that looks pretty good but i like something smaller for all day hunts but for checking targets they probably would be great
you can get the buckmasters 10x21 at cabelas for around $50

divr6347:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
"Birders," previously known a "bird-watchers," have really driven the manufacturers to build better binoculars, and shooters get the benefits, too. Better View Desired is the web standard for testing binocs, and they've recently done compacts. If you're interested, there's a whole lot of info there on why roof prisms are sturdier, waterproof, more expensive than porro prisms, but typically cost more than a porro prism model for comparable optical performance. There's years of facinating info there.

Jaywalker

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The other posts I think have given good info.

You definitely get more optical quality for your money with porro prisms right now. The Nikon's mentioned are good. You also might look at the compact porro binoculars from Wind River by Leupold. Designed by Leupold and made overseas. These seem a little more rugged than the Nikons. And are unusual at the $100-120 price of being waterproof.

I think seeing .22 holes at 100 yards with 8x or 10x binoculars is going to be tough, though not impossible. They should be fine at 50 yards. And will depend on how good your eyesight is also.

For most other uses than looking at targets, you likely will be better off using 8x compacts. The unsteadiness of hand holding the higher magnifications quickly becomes tiring and bothersome.

·
Registered
262 Posts
8x or so at 50 yards is OK , but you will be very challenged at 100, unless the target is backlit. Only the finest will do then.
So be prepared to spend a lot of money. Even then it will be marginal.

With my Zeiss Victory 8x40s I can hardly see .30 cal holes at 100 yards. And they are brighter than a compact would be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.