Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
welcome,

congrats on getting your new colt for the stables.

just a heads.

if you are going to join other boards, note...

> many boards will have a SEARCH feature. Its easy sometimes to search for something/keyword...ect

> and many boards will have separate sections. I get it you excited to post, but there is a separate COLT board. You can try reposting there or maybe a moderator will move this post for you. Keep in mind where you decide to post a question in any board, you may or may not get alot of traffic.

> if you can, try not to be vague in your question. If you have a specific question, say so. like how much is it "worth".

if you are going to buy more toys, note there are books on the subject. And i get it, its easier to ask on a board/website but you wont find alot of info on the web since the books still have it. Unless someone want to the problem of digitizing the book and there could be copyright issues.

you can also use the gun AUCTION/SELLIING sites too. If someone happens to be selling a similar piece, you can look at what they have in terms of description...ect but just be careful of where you get your info from. Not everyone is on the same page and reads from teh same book.

iirc, you will find out that the colter was branded under different names. there is the "stagecoach" that i know of with some blingz.

and if you are going to buy more toys, look at getting a copy of the bluebook. you dont have to buy a NEW one, but even last years reversion will have info. Whats nice is that you can look at the prices, not that they will be current, but it has info on alot of guns.

heres a website you may want to bookmark if you plan to buy more... take a look at what info is there.

http://proofhouse.com/

heres another link for you....note that iirc its by law that you are able to get a OEM manual for your toy. some places may require you to register the s/n, but for the most part, those manuals are suppose to be free.

https://www.colt.com/manuals

good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Been quite a while since I last visited with all my traveling. Was really active years ago then kind of dropped out for a while.
Will visit more often now.
Rocky

·
Registered
595 Posts
I found one of these at my LGS & looked it up. No customers were even looking at it, much less making offers.

Turns out the knowing guys say stay away from them. There's a plastic insert in or around the chamber mouth that is easily lost or breaks. These inserts are seemingly unobtanium, so if it breaks now you have a $450 wall hanger.

While I was sad to have to pass on what I thought was a semi-rare Colt rimfire, I am comforted with my possession of a 4" Diamondback & Target Model 6", both in .22LR.

My .o2

·
Registered
214 Posts
Turns out the knowing guys say stay away from them. There's a plastic insert in or around the chamber mouth that is easily lost or breaks. These inserts are seemingly unobtanium, so if it breaks now you have a $450 wall hanger.
When I read this post, I went to the vault room and looked at all of my examples to be sure I had not missed anything. I did not see any plastic. When I got back upstairs, I looked at a 1969 Parts List "exploded view" and there is nothing shown that is plastic. All of the parts in the lifter, bolt and trigger mechanisms are metal.

The attraction of these guns at this point in time is as collectors items for Colt collectors. While they would serve as a fine .22 semi-automatic rifle, that normally would not be the reason they are bought. Most who want a .22 semi-automatic rifle to shoot buy a Ruger 10/22 or Remington Model 552.

$450 would be a premium price for one of these rifles, unless it is a very nice. What model was the one you saw? Courier? Colteer? Stagecoach?

If it is still available, maybe go back?

·
Registered
595 Posts
When I read this post, I went to the vault room and looked at all of my examples to be sure I had not missed anything. I did not see any plastic. When I got back upstairs, I looked at a 1969 Parts List "exploded view" and there is nothing shown that is plastic. All of the parts in the lifter, bolt and trigger mechanisms are metal.
The plastic piece I mentioned was told to me as an internal part, something around the chamber area. I don't know what the part was/is called or I would've been more specific.

But the guy who told me this is extremely knowledgeable & an opinion I respect greatly. I've been buying & selling guns (for a living, for a FFL) since 1976. So if *I* treat a guy like EF Hutton, I think it's wise to listen to him.

FWIW, my LGS has had their Colteer for almost two years now. They get lots of foot traffic yet hardly no one looks at this rifle, much less makes an offer on it. *I* find that odd as heck given the amount of knowledge some of those customers have.

I just realized we may not be talking about the same model. I'm referring to the semi version, the 4-22 I think it was called? Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
I googled up the rifle & I may have mis-remembered the plastic part when it perhaps should have been "alloy"?

This article tells it better than I can.

https://www.gun-tests.com/schematics/repairing-inexpensive-colt-22-rifles-courier-colteer-and-stagecoach/

If someone were to ask you which products Colt has sold over the years, would you say a .22 semiautomatic rifle? I didn't think you would. Colt made three versions of .22 rifles, the Courier, Colteer and Stagecoach, as well as others under several private-label names for Sears, Wards and other companies. This alloy rifle shot well, but did not hold up well. Unless it was kept oiled and clean, the alloy parts wore very rapidly. In spite of this, the little Colt rifles were good enough lightweight shooters that most owners will pay to get them fixed rather than discard theirs.

Parts for this rifle are available from one or more of the large parts companies, but they often do not fit or work well. Sometimes when production is stopped, whatever parts are left over are sold in bulk to whoever wants them. This is good, in the sense that parts are available to repair guns. The downside is that the bulk quantity often includes the scraps, rejects, discards or mistakes that are lying around the plant. Given the Colt rifle's cast and stamped parts, it seems there were many of these problem pieces around.

There are any number of problems that can occur with the Colt .22 rifle, most commonly failure to fire, feed, or eject, a loose barrel, firing when the safety is turned off, a nonworking safety, and breech sticking. You may often run into a combination of more than one of the above.

Check the following items regardless of the information the owner gives you, keeping in mind that one of the problems with this rifle has been that some fire by themselves-especially as you feed live ammunition through this one. If the owner says his has never gone off by itself, then feed some shells through it, always keeping the barrel pointed to a safe spot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are lots of alloy parts in these rifles, but no plastic. Obviously, such alloy parts are not as durable as steel. I doubt that the parts are available, so, if a critical part is broken, a rifle is probably no longer functional. I have not checked the parts houses to see if the critical alloy parts are available.

While these rifles are not as durable as Remington Nylons or Ruger 10/22s, I do not think they are extremely fragile or short-lived either. At this point in time, they are collector's items, to be shot occasionally.

I would not hesitate to purchase any nice example, but I would buy it as a collector piece, not as a high-volume shooter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just realized we may not be talking about the same model. I'm referring to the semi version, the 4-22 I think it was called? Pic attached.
The only semi-automatic .22 rimfire rifles made by (for) Colt are the Courier, Colteer and Stagecoach. There is no Colt 4-22 rifle. There is a 1-22 Colt bolt-action .22 rimfire rifle. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Is the picture of the rifle in the local gun shop?

·
Registered
595 Posts
There is no Colt 4-22 rifle.
That designation is from the net, not myself.

Description:
Colt, semi-automatic tubular fed rimfire rifle, Model "The Colteer, 4-22", caliber .22 LR, NSN, barrel length 19 3/8", receiver retains 95% original blue w/ some scratches, barrel retains 100% original blue, open sights, straight grip buttstock W/ semi-beavertail forarm, 99% original finish w/ handling marks here and there, LOP 13 1/2", factory plastic buttplate, GROOVED TOP OF RECEIVER FOR SCOPE MOUNT, desirable 15 SHOT tubular fed magazine, Retail value $400.00, Sale priced at $295.00
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/colt-rifles/colt---the-colteer--4-22-.cfm?gun_id=100675060

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sorry. I had forgotten that the Colteer name has the "4-22" suffix appended for some odd reason. The Courier and Stagecoach do not have any suffix added to their name.

Again I ask, is the rifle picture above the gun in your local gun store? If so, where?

·
Registered
214 Posts
For the money I think I would go for a Browning SA 22. No plastic in the chamber on those.
There is NO plastic anywhere inside of these Colt rifles.

Again it appears some are thinking of these Colt rifles as shooters. While they can be used as shooters, they are really mostly just collector's items now. The tiny charging handle is their biggest flaw as a shooter. The tiny charging handle makes it hard to charge the rifle.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I ordered a Colt Stagecoach from a local Gun Dealer in or about late 1974. Mounted first ever scope, a Bushnell 3X9. Sighted in at 35 yards, it was a one shot kill at 25 and 50 yards. The Browning .22 got sold, tired of spent shells burning my left hand, or going up my sleeve. The Gun Dealer tried to sell me a 52, bur they were $335 - and much heaver to carry. Pulling a vine close to the nest and taking the 3 or 4 of the biggest runners calls for a Stagecoach. I kept it for 12 years, then sold it to a fellow worker who just had to have it. The scope went bad after 4 years, and replaced it with another Bushnell 3X9. Never loan your rifle to anyone, lesson learned!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Found a single shot some years back. I’ll have to dig it outta the cave later for pics (photoshop ate ‘em). Found out that the names Colteer, Hawthorne, Jefferson and Kodiak have commonality in manufacture of this in the early sixties.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts