Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Collectable Ammo

657 16
Where do I find information on collectable ammunition? I helped clean my wife's grandfathers house and came across his stash of ammo. In relation to rimfire stuff it included 3 cartons of 22 shells, 2 Western Super-x LR Long Range Lubaloy coated (1 full and the other with 7 boxes in it) and the other is a Winchester Leader Staynless W with 9 boxes in it. The two Western Carton Boxes are in very good shape, the Winchester shows some wear on the corners. These cartans are all typical cardstock type boxes with an off white color with red and blue lettering. The 50 round boxes though are yellow with blue or red lettering.

It also included 4 individual 50 round boxes, 3 being Remington 22LR Kleanbore (typical green box) with all three having a stamping on the bottom N15M1 followed a another line with 5207 47. Ther is also a Peters High Velocity short hollow point silver and black box.

I will supply photos a little later. It also included around 6 boxes of 30-06 (or in some cases 30-GOVT'06 ammo and yes I know that they are the same :)) and 5 boxes of 12 gauge and around 10 boxes of 20 gauge. I am guessing that they are all from the 40s to 50s.

It also contained an American Rifleman May 49, and a 1946 Shooter's Bible. It is missing the cover, but everything else is there, in fairly good shape. I am not sure why the entire bible is there in good shape without the cover, but it is.

So are there any websites out there or is there some where that I can find information on these items?

Regards,

Curtis
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
687 Posts
Looking at both of those posts, I did not notice where either one had any of the rarest .22' s made. I'm talking about Daisy's .22 caseless ammo.. I believe that Daisy also made a rifle to shoot their ammo..

Dave

· Registered
134 Posts
Curtis.....contact ammolady.com. She has a great website and will help you price your ammo and may even buy some to resell as that is what she does. She specializes in old ammo. As a matter of fact, my old Remington .22's shoot all the old stuff the best and that is all I buy. I am into the complete nostalgia stuff all the way. Hope this helps. Richard in Virginia.

· Registered
720 Posts
Those are some very interesting collections. I can remember the paper shells before Rem came out with plastic and the older box colors. I don't have much old stuff being a shooter and not a collector. The only things I have left that may be some intrest are a few old paper 12 ga. shells and some old nickel cased .22s.

Billy

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. Been putting that together for about 4 years or so. The pictures are about a year old, so more has been added. Just this weekend I have picked up 12 new boxes, oil cans and cleaning solvent bottles. Getting to the point of I am thinking of specializing in either a brand of ammo or a type of ammo(IE: .22 Short's) or maybe just Brick boxes. Problem is space.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Looking at both of those posts, I did not notice where either one had any of the rarest .22' s made. I'm talking about Daisy's .22 caseless ammo.. I believe that Daisy also made a rifle to shoot their ammo..

Dave
Daisy VL is not the rarest out there. There is still enough around that brick can be purchased at fairly reasonable prices.

Try this for rare:

Take note of the winning bid. Wish I had that kind of money to spend on stuff!

· Registered
7,256 Posts
Daisy VL is not the rarest out there. There is still enough around that brick can be purchased at fairly reasonable prices.

Try this for rare:

Take note of the winning bid. Wish I had that kind of money to spend on stuff!
I saw a near mint empty Win Jr RC box, at a show, last year priced at $1000.:eek: I had no idea how rare this was. I thought the dealer was just screwing around.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
I saw a near mint empty Win Jr RC box, at a show, last year priced at $1000.:eek: I had no idea how rare this was. I thought the dealer was just screwing around.
90% of the collecting hobbies is knowing what you are looking at...... By that I mean knowing what is rare and what isn't. Of course then you have the things that look pretty common, but aren't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.