Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got out to the country and did some thinning of the coconut population. I was short of my planned ammo, but as soon as I get some pics posted up somewhere I will supply a link and give an explanation, as well as some useful tidbits on do it yourself HP ammo.

For those of you who are dying to know... that .17HMR is awesome!

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Results, links and a .22 ammo update

OK, here is the link. The pics are posted and titled so that you can see for yourself what .22LR solids, .22LR HP's and .17HMR 17gr loads will do to coconuts at ranges from 50 to 200 yards. I threw in a couple of cans and bottles and one 9mm coconut shot just for grins.

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gallery/Coconut-shootout

A couple of things of note as you look through them. Anything that says 'mush' or closeup is worth a close look. If it says 'mush' it was really coconut puree in there

.22 LR:
1. Look closely at the bottles to see the exit holes
p.s. the 17HMR actually propelled the bottle straight back at me about 10 or 12 feet as the water shot out the back
2. The difference between solid and HPs on coke cans is impressive
3. .22-at 50 yds the solid was more effective. At 75 yds there was no real difference and again at 100, there was a huge difference
4. At 50 yds notice the spash on the board... there was some force coming out the back at that close
5. at 100 yards, I had 38 clicks of elevation and oddly 4 clicks horizontally in dead calm conditions. That is only about 5" of drop with a 50yd zero. I shot at a box to get centered before shooting the coconuts due to limited quantity

17HMR:
1. At 100 to 150 yds, the round was absolutely devastating. I even did a double and there was a VERY small entry into the second one... so small that in the pic you can see a little dark wet spot, but no hole, but obviously a tiny piece got through with enough ooomph to penetrate the second husk.
2. If you wonder about the 100 yd exit shot where the top half is gone, look closely at the entry shot... I just placed the top half back on for the pic.. it blew it right off.
3. At 200 yards, the little 17gr frangible shot right through, which would still be a killing shot on any small game.
4. There was for all practical purposes no change in hold over at all distances, though you can see by the 'flinch' pic I put in, I DID have to actually do my part :D. At 1/2" high @ 100 yards, I could hold within the body and still hit it.

So as you can all see this was NOT a .17HMR vs. 22 mag shootout. This was just me having some fun out in the country. It kept me occupied an entire day shooting, photographing and resetting at different locations to find clear shots. The bottom line was that the .17HMR is absolutely explosive up to 150 yds and out to 200 it is still deadly effective. Unfortunately I did not have any 20gr pills to try out. I am sure they would have poked holes right through well out to 250, no problem.

So you see, the 17 IS a fantastic small game cartridge out to 200 yards and beyond. I hope I can buy a cheap, accurate .22WMR to add to the stable and do my own shooting and testing with one as well. Anyone have any suggestions on a really accurate but cheap rifle? Bolt action is fine... but it's got to be accurate!

I also did some playing around with an Eabco HP tool just for grins to see what the HP'd ammo would performe like (see the cans!). I had some very interesting and unexpected findings.
For a report on that subject go to this thread:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96379

Mark
CSCE
(Coconut Splinter Cell Eliminator)

·
Premium Member
9,191 Posts
Markbo, your report got me so excited I spent a whole day on the Wyoming plains looking for a coconut bush so I could try it too!! No such luck, the jackalopes must have eaten them all. :p I did, however, exercise my CZ 527 Hornet on some prairie dogs to good effect. :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thank you Markbo for helping to rid the earth of these evil coconuts, thus twarting their terroristic agenda of falling from trees and hitting me on top of the head.

We need more people like you to do this kind of work.

Where can I apply.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right outside Centerville. You non-Texans will like this...
Know why it's called Centerville? Because it's right in the middle between Houston and Dallas. How's that for a claim to fame! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the waste product???

I forgot to mention in the original post, that with all those broken pieces, I spread them out around the woods near the clear cuts I was shooting through. I didn't know if anything would eat them, but was curious.

By the next morning about 1/3 of the pieces were gone. As best I could tell, they were taken by armadillos by the looks it. A funny thing too... by that next afternoon (24 hrs give or take), the larger ones/pieces that I had by the house to shoot again were completely overcome with a white or blue/green fungus on the inside meat.

It was raining off and on and very, very humid, but 24hrs?!?! Amazing. must be a lot of sugar that is easily digestable by that stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.