Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've always heard about but never seriously looked into until last night is the CMP rifle sales....

I've seen a few of the old "Government Property" Mossbergs, but never knew or understood what it took to accquire one of these rifles.
According to the CMP website, the only thing left Mossberg is some stripped barrel /Receiver actions, but rumor has it they may be getting some more in through cancelled High Scool and College programs.

Right now they have N.I.B. Kimber Model #82's for $600.00....

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

They also sell two grades of target ammo made by Aquilla.....

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=419ASVSE&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=419ASVGE&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

Seems that the CMP requires you to jump through a few hoops before they will sell to you, one is membership with a CMP affiliate club, they also require a lot of information on your training and/or schooling on gun handling and safety. I was just skimming through the information, but my eye did catch something about needing some of this documentation notorised......

Has anyone here delt with the CMP, purchased through them, or shot in any of their sanctioned events......?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I LOVE CMP... their .22 rifles are bar none my favorite... it's really not much more work than filling out a 4475 would be.. and not only that you only have to do it once every two or three years... PLUS.. the rifles come straight to your house....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PLUS.. the rifles come straight to your house....
I don't know if that's possible here in The People's Republic of New Jersey, with our daconian gun laws I may have to have them sent to an FFL, another thing I'll need to look into......

I can recieve ammo at my door, but years ago I applied for and was granted a Federal C&R License, it turned out to be a useless piece of paper because New Jersey gun law superseeded the C&R and only allowed me to buy & sell innopperable firearms of the long gun variety...(which pretty much ment old blackpowder muskets that no longer worked).......:rolleyes:

Anyway, I cleared the first hurdle today buy sending in my application to the New Jersey Association of Rifle and Pistol Clubs. That will satisfy their requirement that I be a member of a CMP affiliate organization...(at a cost of $25.00 per annum)
After I get a membership number, I'll apply with CMP for the paperwork they require......

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it did Vincent, I would have saved $25.00 and put it towards a brick of ammo instead......;)

The one thing I'm really interested in is this Aquilla made target ammo they sell by the case. Has anyone used with any good results yet.....?
I recall someone over at SS/A talking about it a while back, but can't remember who it was......:confused:

Also, if and when they offer some old Mossbergs for sale again, I hope to be in a possition to jump on one......:bthumb:

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
The one thing I'm really interested in is this Aquilla made target ammo they sell by the case. Has anyone used with any good results yet.....?
I recall someone over at SS/A talking about it a while back, but can't remember who it was......:confused:

Also, if and when they offer some old Mossbergs for sale again, I hope to be in a possition to jump on one......:bthumb:
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
we here at RFC are known as IREM. this is our CMP club official title. contact Joe Haller for more info. i think it's $15 a year for dues and you must shoot 2 matches a year.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Ever been at the range, a 'buddy' offers some, "See how this stuff shoots in your rifle?"? ;)

That's what I do with the Aguila, 'cause I know dam well it won't shoot in any of mine!

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
we here at RFC are known as IREM. this is our CMP club official title. contact Joe Haller for more info. i think it's $15 a year for dues and you must shoot 2 matches a year.
So if I pay my dues to Joe I can become a member of IREM and then all I have to do is shoot 2 online matches a year?

Sounds like a win , win , in my book if I understood right.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I knew about that before I sent my application into NJARPC.....:eek:

I'll never use their range, and I'm more likely to participate in a few of Joe's on-line BR matches here at RFC. At least this New Jersey organization sends out regular e-mails to their members concerning all the idiotic gun law changes, and information on how our legislators vote on said gun law changes, that in itself is worth the 25 bucks, and they have been a solid affiliate of the CMP for many years....

I'm up in the air about the Aquila ammo they sell, haven't read too many solid reviews of the stuff as yet, but it's always an open option once I establish membership. The thing I'll be keeping abreast of are the rumored shipment of Government issued Mossberg trainers that might become available early next year. Those Kimber 82's are nice, but after dropping serious cash on this Weatherby, they're a little too rich for my blood right now.....

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I am copying my post from the Mossberg forum on this same topic:

"What does it take to be able to buy a rifle? I am a few hours drive from Anniston, but I would hate to drive over there and find out I have to have some sort of qualification requirement. " The purchase requirements are posted on the CMP website.
Basically you must:
1-Join a club. Your state rifle and pistol assn will work. The CMP has a list of 1,800 affiliated clubs. NRA membership will not work.

2- Show proof that you participated in ANY kind of shooting activity. Hunter Safety cert; Law Enforcement ID, armed security license, military ID or DD214; score from any qualifications or matches; CCW etc... If you don't have any of these then they have a form you can print to take to the range with you. Shoot at the range and have the range officer or any witness sign the form.

3- Get the above issues resolved and fill out the 4 page order form printed from the CMP site and get it notorized. Submit required documentation and ID as listed on the order form.

4- Be patient. Your order may take 30-90 days to complete. Fedex will deliver a rifle to your doorstep and you will not need to go through a FFL.

5- When you order again, your above info will be kept on file. The notorized form will be kept valid for 3 years. You will need to renew your membership if it expires to order. Subsequant orders will merely take 5 minutes to fill out.

Its better to have the requirements done before going to the store and they can notorize at the store at time of purchase. Their inventory varies depending on what the Army has given them and what quantities are available. Broken stocks, barreled actions, junk Krag rifles, and discounted rifles with shortened stocks are sometimes available.

Mail orders are similiar to store orders, you just do not get to hand pick your rifle. They grade and price them according to a worse case scenario. If the rifles run 98%-70% condition then they will describe all of them as 70% or better. They have always been excelent deals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if that's possible here in The People's Republic of New Jersey, with our daconian gun laws I may have to have them sent to an FFL, another thing I'll need to look into......

I can recieve ammo at my door, but years ago I applied for and was granted a Federal C&R License, it turned out to be a useless piece of paper because New Jersey gun law superseeded the C&R and only allowed me to buy & sell innopperable firearms of the long gun variety...(which pretty much ment old blackpowder muskets that no longer worked).......:rolleyes:

Anyway, I cleared the first hurdle today buy sending in my application to the New Jersey Association of Rifle and Pistol Clubs. That will satisfy their requirement that I be a member of a CMP affiliate organization...(at a cost of $25.00 per annum)
After I get a membership number, I'll apply with CMP for the paperwork they require......
If you still have your C&R FFL, that will qualify you for the shooting requirement. You still must belong to a CMP affliliated club.

John

·
Registered
710 Posts
CMP notes For NJ guy

The NJ Association will qualify you for a CMP rifle. I've used them. If you get the Kimber you should be happy with it but be aware that support (parts) will be a challenge because Kimber of Oregon is sold out to Kimber of Yonkers NY and they are out of the .22 business. My used Kimber 82g shot one hole groups last night at 25yds with PMC Scoremaster ammo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.